Healthy Pregnancy Diet Plan
Healthy Pregnancy and healthy diet during pregnancy in every woman’s life are the very first and foremost things which must be taken care of before, after and throughout the pregnancy to give birth to a normal and healthy baby as well as be a good and healthy mom forever. Mother’s healthy diet brings healthy lifestyle which helps nourishing a baby and mother all time through pregnancy. Being a special mom, it is vital planned diet for healthy pregnancy. I have mentioned below some points which helps you planning your healthy diet for healthy pregnancy:
What is Healthy to Eat during Pregnancy
- Healthy diet means not any special or costly food, it is our cheap, planned, maintained and limited daily diet which we generally eat however it needs some consciousness and precautions during pregnancy. It is the mix of variety of different foods with right balance of nutrients on daily basis.
- Our diet should become full of vitamins, minerals, protein, healthy fat and carbohydrate as our body needs approximately double energy level during pregnancy.
- During pregnancy, the requirement of vitamins cannot be fulfilled by the diet only thus our gynaecologists recommend some iron, calcium and folic acid supplements to fulfil its need in the body.
- Eating seasonal fruits and green leafy vegetables within limit is very necessary for getting required vitamins, minerals and other nutrients to get free of digestive disorders like constipation.
- Eating fruit and vegetables on daily basis in five or six small amount is good for a pregnant woman in the form of fresh, frozen, dried, juiced and cooked.
- Eating boiled or half cooked seasonal vegetables provides all the nutrients available in it as cooking vegetables on high heat destroy its nutrients.
- Eating starchy foods during pregnancy is good as it provides vitamins, fibre and high calorie value. Some of the starchy foods include bread, rice, potatoes, cereals, pasta, oats, barley, maize, millet, sweet potatoes, yams, and so many.
- It is good to practice eating wholemeal instead of having processed meal during pregnancy.
- Having protein diet is very necessary on daily basis as it provide good environment for the normal growth and development of the baby. Some foods providing good level of protein include fish, poultry, eggs, beans, pulses, nuts, ghee, mushrooms, seeds, peas and so many.
- Eating dairy foods and products including yogurt, milk, cheese, ice-cream, butter and etc provides good level of calcium, phosphorus and other nutrients.
- Always go for the low fat food like semi-skimmed, skimmed milk, double toned, low fat yoghurt and etc for two to three times a day is good for pregnancy.
- Adding fresh vegetables and fruits salad in every meal is another good way to get all the nutrients in its natural forms.
- Some healthy snacks in between the meal can be taken such as roasted biscuits, chocolate, fat free milk, fruit or vegetable salad, baked potatoes, sandwiches, bread filled with grated cheese, salmon, sardines, low-fat yoghurt, apricots, figs, beans or vegetables soup, unsweetened fruit juices and fresh fruits.
- Eating high fibre food like salad, fruits, green leafy vegetables, whole-grain breads, cereals etc are good during pregnancy to avoid constipation.
- It is necessary to have iron-rich foods thrice a day which include beans, lean meats, spinach, cereals etc.
- Vitamin C intake every day is also very necessary through many sources like papaya, oranges, green peppers, grapefruits, broccoli, strawberries, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, and etc.
- Dark green leafy vegetables, legumes including black beans, black-eyed peas and chickpeas etc are rich source of folic acid thus adding these things to daily diet helps preventing birth defects in babies.
- During pregnancy eye vision becomes blurred so it is very necessary to have vitamin A on daily basis. Some of the vitamin A rich sources are carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, pumpkins, turnip greens, apricots, cantaloupe etc.
What is Unhealthy to Eat during Pregnancy
- Sedative drinks like alcohol, smoking, fatty diet, fried things, beverages and etc are very unhealthy diet to have during pregnancy. Avoid eating these things at least few months before being pregnant.
- Eating fish during pregnancy should also be avoided as they have high-mercury level (causing developmental delays in baby) however they are rich source of protein and other nutrients.
- Junk foods are also a type of poison for the pregnant woman thus it should be avoided all through the pregnancy.
- Readymade or packaged fruit juices as they are added with artificial sweetener, salt and other preservatives.
Dietary Precautions to be followed during Pregnancy
- Always eat well washed and wiped fruit, vegetables and things prepared like salad as they may have traces of soil having infectious bacteria, fungus like toxoplasma (causes toxoplasmosis).
- It should be practiced the use of well washed utensils and proper hand wash.
- Raw meat should be washed well under running water before cooking as they may be cause toxoplasmosis.
- Generally eating raw foods should be avoided to get prevented from the risk of contamination.
- Higher intake of coffee and tea should also be avoided as they may cause gas and bloating.