As we all know that how much having a baby for a woman is meant for. I think every woman gets overwhelmed by just having a little bit of think about having a baby and what if they really gets blessed with a baby after carrying on a pregnancy of long time of nine months. So just keep on your all the happiness related to your baby and sweet family, we have mentioned some of the common tests which you must go through before getting pregnant in order to welcome a healthy and happy baby in your life.
Before entering to the life of parenthood, it is the first and foremost responsibility of each and every parents to make their family life happy forever but it can be possible only if both mother and baby become safe, healthy and free of all diseases. Please go ahead and read this article which would really help you to have safe and healthy pregnancy and baby.
- Go for Preconception Visit: Preconception visit and counselling really help you to get safe and healthy pregnancy by resolving your all family and personal problems. You must discuss openly your personal and family medical history, present health status and all the medications or supplements you have taken till date as some of the medications and supplements are considered very unsafe for getting pregnant. So you must switch off all that before trying to conceive.
- Healthy Daily Routine: You must discuss your doctor about your daily routine to get proper planning about diet, weight, exercise, on the other hand getting rid of all the unhealthy habits including smoking, drinking, and drugs use and etc.
- Get sure about all your immunizations for the childhood diseases like chicken pox, rubella, etc.
- Counselling: Go for counselling to your doctor for the check up of major diseases like asthma, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure or whether you are already taking medications for that.
- Genetic Carrier Screening: Genetic carrier screening must be done before getting pregnant as some genetic health problems may lead to serious health problems in your baby. Genetic carrier screening helps you to get rid of serious inherited illnesses like cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, and etc through proper treatments and precautions.
- Dental Health Check up: Go for dental check up for the goo oral health as so many hormonal changes all through the pregnancy may cause gum and teeth problems. Higher level of estrogen and progesterone hormones in the body may cause plaque formation, gum swelling, redness, bad odour, tenderness, bleeding and etc.
- Mental Health Check up: It has become very necessary for both partners that they must go for the mental health screening to know whether they suffer from depression, anxiety or any other mental illness as such problems may cause low fertility level.
- Screening Tests for Infections: Now days there are many types of infections in the environment to which anyone can be affected anytime. So, it is better to go for some common and necessary tests for infections before getting pregnant. Some of the infections (Rubella, German measles, Chickenpox, HIV, Hepatitis B, Herpes, syphilis, gonorrhoea, Thyroid problems, toxoplasmosis, Sickle cell anemia, Thalassaemia, Tay-Sachs disease, hepatitis A, etc) may lead to the serious complications during pregnancy (pneumonia, preterm labour, birth defects, miscarriage, congenital malformation, retarded growth of child, etc).
- Sperm Analysis or Fertility Tests for Men: Sperm analysis should be done among men before planning for a baby to confirm that whether they have healthy and active sperm (or to check for abnormalities) for getting a healthy and active baby in future.
- Blood Test: Anyone from both of you may be anaemic so it is best to go for blood test for blood group, blood type, complete blood count to check hematocrit, haemoglobin, platelet count, hormone level, antibodies and WBC count.
- Urine Test: Urine test is very necessary to know about whether you suffer any urinary tract infection before conceiving a baby. Renal functions, sugar level, protein level are also checked.
- Fertility Tests for Women: woman should go for the cervical smear test to know their fertility level to confirm that whether they have healthy egg for healthy baby.
- Normal Tests: Some examinations are very common like gynaecological exam, clinical pelvimetry exam to examine pelvic bones for normal baby delivery.
- Syphilis Screen: It is very necessary for every woman going to be pregnant that she should go for the syphilis screening to know whether she is syphilis positive or negative. It may lead to the preterm labour, congenital anomalies, growth retardation or death of the baby.
- Hepatitis B: It is inherited to the baby and develops chronic hepatitis so it is very necessary to undergo proper treatment before getting pregnant.
- Pap Smear: It is done to test precancerous changes in the cervix through colposcopy or cervix biopsy. Some genital tract infections are also detected using this method.
- GBS Test: It is a test for group B streptococcus bacteria strain as it may be lethal to the baby.
- Gestational Diabetes: Most of the woman may suffer gestational diabetes during their pregnancy if they have past history or risk factors for diabetes so glucose screen should be performed.
Best of luck to both of the partners for planning to have a nice and sweet baby as well as to enter to the parenthood which really bless you both with lots of responsibilities, care and love.