You often face problems in memorizing and concentrating on your tasks. Generally, it is a sign of low or poor memory power. People around you have high expectation from you and want you to achieve something special in your field of interest. But they feel disappointed when you are unable to remember or concentrate on a given task. As you are aware, to perform well in life, you need a good memory power, especially in today’s competitive world. But quite often your memory fails you, due to factors such as stress, lack of exercise, inadequate nutritious food, deficiency of oxygen supply to the brain, etc. However, you need not bother too much for that. We are going to tell you how you can improve your memory power and concentration in confronting the daily challenges of life.
The best way to improve your memory and concentration is to encourage good blood flow to your brain as it’s the brain that controls our speaking, thinking, planning, imagining, reasoning and physical movements. And, there are very simple ways to sustain the healthy function of the brain. Read on to know how to improve your memory power and concentration:
- Proper Diet — A healthy and proper diet is one of the significant ways to improve and boost your memory power and concentration. Following are some of the ingredients which make your diet truly wholesome:
- Eggs: Include eggs as a regular part of your diet as eggs are rich in choline, an essential nutrient that aids the function of neurotransmitters. Apart from that eggs contain cholesterol, an important component of brain cell membranes. It also works as a brain-protective antioxidant. So, let eggs be an integral part of your daily diet.
- Spinach: It is a rich source of antioxidants. According to nutritionists, a diet rich in spinach can help keep your brain alert. It also contains folic acid, which goes a long way in improving your memory power and concentration. Apart from protecting nerves in the brain, it is full of antioxidants which block toxins produced by the body. It will also protect you from untimely heart diseases, cancer and strokes. It is also one of the best sources of vitamin B.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is a very powerful brain protective antioxidant. So, you prepare your family’s meal in olive oil.
- Beans: These are a rich source of healthy and nutritious elements that include proteins, carbohydrates and fibers. All these elements, when combined together, help your brain function efficiently. Beans are also very rich in vitamins that are essential for your brain such as folic acid and vitamin B12. Not only this, beans are also rich in antioxidants that will certainly make your brain healthier, thus helping you in improving memory power and concentration. So, you must include beans in your diet.
- Whole grains: A great source of energy that will help you to focus and concentrate, whole grains are rich in fibre, which makes them easier to digest.
- Almonds: Almonds contain high level of brain healthy Omega-3 fatty acids and lots of brain-protecting Vitamin C. So, you must include almonds in your daily diet. They have been proved to be quite beneficial for improving memory power.
- Coconut oil: Use coconut oil as frequently as possible as it increases the capacity of the brain’s neurons to use energy. It also reduces the production of elements that adversely affect your brain. Most importantly it provides saturated fat, which is a key nutrient for the function of brain cell membranes.
Yoga and meditation is one of the best ways to increase your memory power, concentration and overall personality. Though Yoga as a whole is good for increasing brain power, it is advisable that you take the following steps, in particular:
- Chanting Om: Chanting ‘Om’ while meditating has a miraculous effect on the body as it helps your body to relax, making you feel more energized. If practised regularly, your concentration power and mental agility will certainly increase in due course. Chanting Om regularly is quite helpful in improving memory power, mental strength as well as concentration.
- Pranayama: Pranayam is an exercise, a kind of breathing technique, practiced in yoga in which your mind is focused on the breath as it flows in and out of the body. This also elevates the levels of oxygen and energy in your mind and body, helping you think better and faster. It also improves your ability to remember more as it increases the supply of oxygen to your brain.
- Padmasana: Padmasana is a yogic posture or asana in which you are supposed to sit in a cross-legged position. It has been proved quite helpful in concentrating the mind and increasing the energy required by the body. It also strengthens your digestive system apart from improving your memory. You will enjoy sound sleep, which in turn will calm your brain and restore your energy levels. Padmasana is very good for developing mental strength and treating body deformities. If practised regularly, it will help calm your senses, and increase your awareness, energy and attentiveness.
- Paschimottanasana: This yogic asana (Seated Forward Bend Pose) is a tried and tested way to improve memory power in human beings. It improves the functioning of the brain significantly by increasing the blood flow to the brain. It is also known as ‘super brain’ yoga. It calms the mind and improves concentration levels.
Implementing the above time-tested ways will go a long way in helping you maintain a healthy and vital brain. Try to make them a part of your daily routine and then see the magic: you will feel greatly enriched in terms of your memory power and concentration.
The above steps are also immensely helpful in leading a healthy life and increasing your happiness quotient. However, you need to have some patience and instead of expecting phenomenal results overnight, learn to inculcate mental discipline to carry out the above practices as a part and parcel of your existence. If you are consistent with these healthy habits, you are sure to reap rich dividends throughout your life. So, why don’t you make a beginning towards wholesome existence now?