What is Obesity
Obesity is the medical condition during which people have tendency to gain weight more frequently rather than the normal person. They get accumulation of the excess body fat in the most susceptible body parts like abdomen, thigh, arms, face and etc. Obesity leads to the serious negative health effects which become obstruction to the normal and healthy life style. Extra body weight and increased BMI (body mass index) reduces the life expectancy of the person to a great extent.
Obesity increases the chance of life threatening diseases such as heart disease, type-2 diabetes, metabolic disorders, sleeping disorder, cancer, osteoarthritis, endocrine disorders, psychiatric illnesses and so many.
Causes of Obesity
Obesity may be caused due to the combination of excessive energetic food with high calories and complete lack of physical activities, however it includes some other medical and natural conditions. It may be genetic, medical, psychiatric illness, diet, life style and etc. Some of the causes of obesity are discussed below:
Diet requirement varies from person to person and depends on the age, sex, weight and health conditions of the people. Poor, unhealthy and irregular eating habits lead to the overweight. People who like to eat fried, fatty, sweetened drinks, high calorie diet irregularly and frequently are more susceptible to the obesity.
People living sedentary type lifestyle means inactive life without any physical activities are more susceptible to the obesity. Generally, body needs some physical activities on regular basis to keep life healthy by maintaining the normal functioning of the body organs.
The reason of obesity may be genetic or hereditary and may pass to the new generations from the paternal generations. Polymorphisms of some of the genes controlling the appetite and metabolism are the reason of obesity in the next generation.
- Some of the physical and mental conditions and illnesses enhance the risk of obesity such as genetic syndromes, congenital or acquired medical conditions like hypothyroidism, growth hormone deficiency, Cushing’s syndrome, night eating syndrome, binge eating disorder, psychiatric disorder and many more.
- Some of the medications also lead to the weight gain including antidepressants, insulin, thiazolidinediones, antipsychotics, anticonvulsant medications, steroids, hormonal contraception and etc.
- Rich social status also may be the reason of obesity in some cases as people become used to of the irregular diet and life style. However, sometimes low social status people also gets obese due to the high level of stress.
- Malnutrition and endocrinal gland changes may also promote the fat storage in the body when high energy food becomes available. Sometimes thyroid and pituitary glands disorders may cause problems in metabolic rate which leads to obesity.
- Some infectious agents also disturb the metabolism and affect metabolic potential capacity of the body which needs more energy and contribute to the obesity.
Obesity in Children
Obesity among children is the indication of high health risks due to the accumulation of excess body fat in the very young age which later affects their health and wellbeing status to a great extent. Some of the causes of obesity among children are:
- Generally the occurrence of obesity among children becomes genetic. The risk of obesity in child increases when both of the parents are obese. Sometimes psychological factors, environmental factors and child life style also may be the reason.
- Some other reasons include Bardet-Biedl syndrome (genetic disorder that affect body system), MOMO syndrome (overgrowth genetic disorder), Leptin receptor mutations (gene mutation causing obesity and pituitary gland dysfunction), congenital leptin deficiency (a condition of genetic mutation lead to deficiency of leptin), Melanocortin receptor mutations and etc.
- Children involved in less active life style such as sedentary activities, watching TV, playing video games, computer games, and etc.