Turmeric or Haldi is also known as the Curcumin because of its Botanical name (Curcuma longa). It is a rhizome and perennial plant (cultivated once a year) belongs to the Zingiberaceae family just like ginger. It was originated in the southern region of the India (Tamilnadu). Because of its valuable health benefits and medicinal importance, it has been famous as the queen of the spices.
Benefits of Turmeric/Haldi
Turmeric or haldi has wide range of nutritional health benefits and medicinal importance all over the world as it contains anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-carcinogenic, anti-depressant, expectorant (cold and cough reliever), anti-septic, anti-fungal, anti-flatulent (carminative), anti-retroviral, anti-mutagenic, blood purifier, anti-inflammatory and etc properties. It is loaded with the rich amount of vitamins, minerals, proteins, dietary fibers, fatty acids, phyto-nutrients and etc healthy nutrients. Some of the nutritional health benefits of the turmeric are mentioned below:
Benefits of Turmeric in Food
Provides Color and Flavor
- It is used to add as a spice in the curries and gravy dishes to offer rich color and flavor.
Used as Preservative
- It is a cheap preservative agent makes eatable things to preserve for more days.
- It is a natural pesticide sends away the household insects, termites, ants, and etc.
Benefits of Turmeric for Hair
- Applying paste of turmeric powder and olive oil on the scalp for 15 mins provides relief from the dandruff.
Prevents Hair Loss
- It prevents from the hair loss by nourishing the hair follicles by root.
Benefits of Turmeric and Honey
Manages Blood Pressure
- It helps in decreasing the bad cholesterol level and manages blood pressure to the normal level.
Protects from Cancer
- It promotes all over body health and protects against the Cancer.
Reduces Risk of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- It detoxifies the liver, assists in the good digestion and prevents from the risk of irritable bowel syndrome.
Benefits of Turmeric for Digestive System and Weight Loss
Stimulates Bile Production
- It helps in relieving indigestion, bloating, gas and stimulates weight loss by stimulating bile production from gallbladder. Extra bile enhances more fat digestion and helps in controlling weight.
Prevents Digestive Disorders
- It prevents from the digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel disease including Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and etc.
Medicinal Benefits of Turmeric/Haldi
Contains Powerful Medicinal Property
- Haldi is a most powerful medicinal property containing spice due to the availability of the bioactive compounds.
Powerful Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Agent
- It contains various curcuminoids (like Curcumin) which acts as a most powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent.
Inhibits Growth of Tumor Cells
- Curcumin found in it is a poly-phenolic compound has ability to inhibit the growth of tumor cells thus prevents from the pancreatic cancer, multiple myeloma, breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer and etc.
Contains Essential Oils
- It has variety of health nourishing essential oils (cineole, termerone, curumene, curlone, p-cymene and etc) which have amazing beneficial effects on the health.
Prevents Plaque Formation in Brain
- Its anti-inflammatory and anti-amyloid properties help in preventing from the amyloyd plaque formation in the brain and risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Reduces Risk of Coronary Artery Diseases
- It has no cholesterol but rich in dietary fibers which are very beneficial for controlling the blood cholesterol level and blood pressure thus prevents from the coronary artery diseases, stroke and other heart risks.
Prevents from Degenerative Diseases
- It prevents from the various diseases like metabolic syndrome and various other age related degenerative diseases.
Neutralizes Free Radicals
- It powerful antioxidant property helps in neutralizing the harmful free radicals as well as stimulates body to create its own antioxidant enzymes.
Boosts Brain Functioning
- It helps in boosting the brain functioning by enhancing the brain derived neurotrophic factors (type of growth hormone) thus lowers the risk of brain problems.
Reduces Pain and Inflammation
- It reduces pain and inflammations during arthritis, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It helps in treating depression as it a good home remedy acts as an antidepressant.
Promotes Wound Healing
- It is a very good antiseptic and antibacterial agent helps in early healing of the wounds like cuts and burns.
Manages Insulin and Glucose Level
- It helps in controlling diabetes and it symptoms by managing the insulin levels and blood glucose level thus prevents from the type-2 diabetes.
Boosts Body Immunity
- It contains lipopolysaccharide which helps in boosting the body immune system and develops resistance against the bacterial, viral and fungal diseases.
Relieves Digestive Disorders
- It provides relief from stomach gas, diarrhea, morning sickness, vomiting, cold, cough and etc seasonal problems.
Inhibits Bacterial Growth
- It helps in inhibiting the bacterial growth in the intestine and makes digestive system healthy by working as a powerful cleaning agent.
Relieves Respiratory Tract Inflammation
- It provides relief from the inflammation during asthma and other respiratory problems if the mixture of turmeric powder and warm milk is taken.
Good Liver Detoxifier
- It is a good liver detoxifier which enhances the vital enzymes production in the body and removes toxin from the body.
Benefits of Turmeric Powder
Strong Therapeutic Agent
- Turmeric is the good source of curcumin and volatile oils which are very strong therapeutic agent and prevents from the cough and cold.
- It provides relief from the irritating sensation in the throat and sore throat. Drinking hot milk by adding half tsf turmeric provides instant relief.
Treats Teeth and Gum Problems
- It helps in treating gum pain, swelling and other problems if the mixture of turmeric powder, salt and mustard oil is applied on the teeth and gums before sleeping time at night and wash with warm water after half an hour.
- It helps in strengthening teeth and treating weak teeth problem if teeth are brushed with turmeric powder and khane ka soda in equal amounts.
- It provides relief from the toothache if tooth is massaged with mixture of haldi powder and mustard oil before sleeping.
Relieves Allergy and Cold
- It provides relief from the allergy, extra cold and shivering problem during winter if 1 tsf of mixture (roasted turmeric powder and desi ghee) is taken with honey for four to five months two times a day regularly.
Relieves Asthma Symptoms
- It provides relief from the asthma symptoms and other respiratory problems if smoke of turmeric powder and ghee (heat the mixture on low flame) is inhaled with nose.
- It provides instant relief from the pain (anywhere in the body) if the warm mixture of haldi and ginger is applied to the area two time a day.
Treats Sprain Problem
- It helps in treating pain and swelling due to sprain problem if the mixture of 1 tsf turmeric powder, 1tsf honey and half tsf chuna powder is applied in a thick layer to the affected area.
Relieves Cold and Cough
- Sipping boiled and cooled mixture of water, haldi and salt or water, haldi and black pepper provides relief from the cold, cough, throat pain and tonsil. Avoid drinking water till one hour. Taking 1tsf of mixture (haldi and ginger powder) with warm milk or water also provides relief.
Increases Hemoglobin Level
- It provides relief during anemia by increasing the level of hemoglobin in blood if half tsf haldi powder is taken with luke warm milk two times a day.
Treats Seasonal Wounds
- Applying the paste of haldi and laung or coconut oil and haldi on the seasonal wounds (fode and funsi) on skin provides relief from the problem.
Benefits of Turmeric Powder for Skin and Face
Reduces Ageing Signs
- It acts as a very good anti-inflammatory and anti oxidative agent which helps in reducing ageing signs such as wrinkles, dryness, fine lines on the skin, stretch marks, blemishes, acne problems, cracked heels and etc. It provides skin a flawless, smooth, glowing and fair look.
Purifies Whole Blood
- Eating turmeric roots with warm water or warm milk in the early morning with empty stomach helps in making skin very clear and glow as well as free of wrinkles and blemishes. It purifies the whole blood and prevents from acne problems.
Provides Clear and Fair Skin
- Paste of turmeric powder and natural bleaching agent lemon juice acts as an effective skin whitener. Applying the mixture of 1 tsf turmeric powder and 3 tsf lemon juice on the face for 10-15 mins and wash with water, provides clear and fair complexion skin.
Makes Skin Glowing
- Applying the mixture of 1 tsf turmeric powder and 3 tsf of milk on the face for 10-15 mins is also very beneficial and gives skin glowing and clear look.
Contains Natural Oils
- It contains natural oils which nourishes and moisturizes the skin deeply.
Makes Skin Healthy and Soft
- Applying the mixture of turmeric powder and oils like olive, castor, coconut or almond oils (any of them) makes skin healthy and soft.
Makes Skin Blemishes and Spots Free
- Massaging face with the mixture of gram flour, turmeric powder, lemon juice and milk for 5 mins and wash after 20 mins, makes skin blemishes and spots free.
Nice Face Pack
- Applying the face pack of turmeric powder and tomato juice and wash with normal water after drying, makes skin clear, flawless and glowing.
Prevents Chromosome and DNA Damage
- It prevents from the radiation-induced chromosome and DNA damage thus prevents from the early ageing.
Relieves Acne Problems
- Applying the face pack of turmeric powder and sandalwood provides relief from the acne problems.
Relieves Burned Skin
- Its antiseptic property provides instant relief from the burned skin if it is applied with aloevera juice on the affected part.
Treats Cracked Heel
- Applying the mixture of coconut oil (or castor oil) and turmeric powder to the cracked heel for 10-15 mins provides relief and gives smooth skin.
Benefits of Turmeric Tea
Relieves Seasonal Problems
- Turmeric tea is a good home remedy to get relief from the seasonal problems. Boil some water with turmeric powder and let it cool for 8-10 mins, add some honey and lemon juice and take a sip.
Increases Duration of Life
- Consumption of turmeric tea on daily basis increases the duration of life.
Benefits of Turmeric Milk
- It provides relief from the microbial, bacterial and viral infections by treating illnesses and lung congestion.
Strengthens Spinal Cord, Bones and Joints
- It is a very good natural pain reliever provides relief from the ache and pain as well as strengthens the spinal cord, bones and joints.
Cleanses Lymphatic System
- It helps in cleansing the lymphatic system by boosting the liver functions as it is a liver detoxifier and blood purifier.
Relieves Menstrual Cramps and Pain
- It is a natural antispasmodic which provides instant relief from the menstrual cramps and pain.
Induces Peaceful Sleep
- It contains a special amino acid called tryptophan which helps in inducing calm and peaceful sleep during night.
Nutritional Benefits of Turmeric/Haldi per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 354 Kcal
Carbohydrate: 64.9 g
Dietary Fibers: 21 g
Sugar: 3.2 g
Protein: 7.83 g
Fat: 9.88 g
Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.2 g
Omega-3 Fatty Acid: 482 mg
Omega-6 Fatty Acid: 1.7 g
Thiamin: 152 mcg
Riboflavin: 0.233 mg
Niacin: 5.140 mg
Pyridoxine: 1.80 mg
Vitamin C: 25.9 mg
Vitamin E: 3.10 mg
Vitamin K: 13.4 µg
Folates: 39 µg
Choline: 49.2 mg
Betaine: 9.7 mg
Sodium: 38 mg
Potassium: 2525 mg
Calcium: 183 mg
Copper: 603 µg
Iron: 41.42 mg
Magnesium: 193 mg
Manganese: 7.83 mg
Phosphorus: 268 mg
Zinc: 4.35 mg
Selenium: 4.5 mcg
Phytosterols: 82 mg
How to Enjoy
Turmeric or haldi can be enjoyed in variety of ways such as spices, medicinal, cooking, beauty and etc purposes. It provides cooked recipes a nice color and flavor. It can be added to the egg salad, fried rice with dry fruits, mix veg, curries, soups, tea, pulses and etc. It adds lots of healthy and essential nutrients to the body health if eaten on daily basis.
How to Select and store
Turmeric is widely available in the markets and supermarket at affordable prices in various forms like whole dried, powdered, paste, capsules and other supplement forms. Purchasing powdered turmeric is comfortable however whole dried turmeric is best to chose to get pure and avoid mix up of other things. Always go for the organically grown turmeric available in the market to avoid the side effects of harmful chemicals used in inorganically grown turmeric. It can be stored for long time safely in the air tight container, cool, dry and dark place. Fresh and green turmeric rhizome can be stored for days in the refrigerator.
Disadvantages, Side Effects and Precautions
In spite of having amazing health benefits, turmeric has some disadvantages and side effects which needs careful precautions. Some of are mentioned below:
- Some people are very sensitive and may get problems like stomach upset, dizziness, nausea, abnormal heart rhythm, dehydration, diarrhea, intestinal cramps, liver distress, constipation and etc if taken in high amount.
- It needs some precautions during pregnancy and breast-feeding so, taking turmeric orally or by mouth should be avoided as it stimulates uterus (premature uterine contractions) and cause menstrual bleeding, miscarriage thus high risk for pregnancy.
- It should be avoided during the gastro esophageal reflux disease and gallbladder problems like bile duct obstruction, gallstones and etc as it may worse the problems.
- It has mild tendency to slow down the process of blood clotting thus should be avoided during and after surgery.
- It should be strictly avoided with some medications like Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, anticoagulant or antiplatelet drugs.
- It has mild tendency to lower down the blood pressure and blood sugar level thus it should be avoided by the person taking medications for the high blood pressure and diabetes.
- It should be avoided taking orally as it has problem in getting absorbed well.
- It may increase stomach acid level and cause hyper acidity which lead to the heartburn, stomach ulcer, intestinal ulcer and etc.
- Some people have problems with external application of the turmeric on skin and may develop rashes.
- It should be avoided during some serious health problems such as obstructive jaundice, hepatitis, acute bilious colic, cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder) and obstruction of gall bladder.
How Much Turmeric to eat in a Day
It is very necessary to eat only required amount of the turmeric by the normal and healthy person on daily basis as its high dose may lead to some serious health disorders mentioned above. Eating how much turmeric a day depends on the age, weight, sex and health conditions of the person however, getting its all the medicinal benefits one can eat approximately 300-500 mg of the turmeric daily. It is must to consult healthcare providers if any side effect occurs or to know more details about the daily dose.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Spices