Suran is a vegetable widely found in India, also known as Yam, Elephant foot yam (as it resembles elephant foot), Jimikand, Whitespot giant arum, Stink lily and etc. It is a tuberous vegetable widely cultivated in the tropical countries of the world. It was first originated in the Southeast Asian regions and started cultivating in many countries of the world such as Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Nigeria, Philippines, India, Indonesia and etc. India states which are involved in widely cultivating the Jimikand are Bihar, Kerala, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Orissa and etc. It belongs to the Dioscoreaceae family and genus Dioscorea.
Benefits of Suran (Jimikand)
Suran or Jimikand is the high carbohydrate, protein, vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, dietary fibers and calorie rich vegetable. It is widely used in India for eating purposes in many ways. It has ritual purposes of eating suran recipe on Diwali festival in Hinduism. Some of its nutritional health benefits are mentioned below:
Benefits of Suran for Digestive System
Improves Digestive System Functioning
- It helps in maintaining the digestive system functioning by reducing the irregular bowel movements and bloating.
Prevents from Disorders
- It prevents from the occurrence of heart diseases and digestive disorders like constipation, piles and etc.
Benefits of Suran for Weight Management
Reduces Bad Cholesterol Level
- It promotes weight loss by reducing the bad cholesterol level in the blood so can be eaten by the weight conscious people.
Benefits of Suran for Heart
Relieves during Hypertension
- It has cooling effect to the body and provides relief to person suffering from the hypertension.
Rich Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acid
- Its richness in the omega-3 fatty acid helps in reducing bad cholesterol level and increasing good cholesterol level.
Prevents Unnecessary Blood Clot
- Jimikand has anti-coagulating property thus helps in preventing from the unnecessary blood clotting.
Benefits of Suran for Diabetes
Contains Low Glycemic Index
- It is food having low glycemic index thus safe for the people suffering from diabetes however in limit.
Benefits of Suran for Women
Maintains Hormonal Balance
- Suran has special health benefits for the women as it increases the estrogen hormone level in the body as well as maintains other hormonal balance.
Relieves during Menstruation
- Its richness in the vitamin B6 helps women during menstruation by providing relief from the pre-menstrual syndrome.
Medicinal Benefits of Suran
Treats various Medicinal Conditions
- It has been used for year as a medicine to treat some medical conditions like wound healing, ulcers, boils, abscesses, stimulate appetite, bronchial irritation, cough, and etc.
Other Health Benefits of Suran
Source of Essential Minerals
- It has health nourishing important minerals such as calcium, copper, zinc, manganese, selenium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and etc.
Induces Better Health
- It contains good amount of dietary fibers which plays significant role in the health nourishment.
Boosts Energy Level
- Jimikand is the high calorie food thus provides instant energy to the body and prevents from weaknesses.
Strengthens Muscles and Bones
- It contains good amount of protein and helps in building muscles and strengthening bones.
Source of Healthy Nutrients
- It contains all the essential and healthy nutrients thus it can be eaten as a balanced diet by the people.
- It is widely used to treat the person suffering from the piles problem.
Prevents from Cancer
- It contains a special compound called diosgenin which acts as a hormonal molecule having potential anticancer effects thus prevents from the cancer.
Treats Digestive Disorders
- It is also used to treat some other problems like ulcers, worm infestation, indigestion, diarrhoea, rheumatism, urinary problems and dysentery.
Used to Prepare Medicines
- Suran is commercially used to prepare some synthetic steroids and contraceptive drugs.
- It has property of anti-ageing and immune function inducing ability.
Induces RBCs Production
- It helps in enhancing the red blood cells production and formation.
Nutritional Benefits of Suran/Jimikand per 100 g
(Source: USDA National Nutrient Database)
Energy: 108 Kcal
Carbohydrate: 27.88 g
Protein: 1.53 g
Fat: 0.17 g
Dietary Fibers: 4.1 g
Thiamine: 0.112 mg
Riboflavin: 0.032 mg
Niacin: 0.552 mg
Pantothenic acid: 0.314 mg
Pyridoxine: 0.293 mg
Folates: 23 µg
Vitamin A: 138 IU
Vitamin E: 0.35 mg
Vitamin K: 2.3 µg
Vitamin C: 17.1 mg
Sodium: 9 mg
Potassium: 816 mg
Calcium: 17 mg
Magnesium: 21 mg
Manganese: 0.397 mg
Phosphorus: 55 mg
Selenium: 0.7 µg
Zinc: 0.24 mg
Copper: 0.178 mg
Iron: 0.54 mg
Beta-Carotene: 83 µg
How to Select and Store
Suran can be bought very easily from the nearest market in the summer season by August till end of rainy season. It is available in super markets in the pack of thin plastic covers. Always try to buy Jimikand with whole, smooth and intact skin, fresh, heavy and small. Avoid buying Jimikand with bruised skin, cut, irregular, large, dried and smelling. It can be stored for months at home at room temperature in the well ventilated, cry, cool and safe place.
How to Enjoy
It can be enjoyed in many ways as many recopies can be prepared using Jimikand. It is used to make bhujua, curry, cofta, pakaude, pickles, fried slice, bharata, boiled, baked, roasted, added to noodles, cake, breads and etc.
Precautions, Side Effects and Disadvantages
Some of the precautions, side effects and disadvantages of eating suran are discussed below:
- It should not be eaten raw as it contains some toxic substances (dioscorine, tri-terpenes, diosgenin and etc) which may lead to some health issues.
- It should be avoided by the people suffering from sinus infections, chronic cold, asthma and etc.
- It should be consulted by the doctor to eat suran by the women during pregnancy or breast feeding.
- It should be cooked after peeling the cover of it to remove bitter proteins and irritant oxalate crystals.
How Much Suran to Eat a Day
It should be eaten in limited amount after proper cooking as it may cause some harmful health effects and lead to serious health disorders. Generally, it should be avoided by the person suffering from any health problem specially heart and digestive problems.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Vegetables