Olive falls into the fruit category, belongs to the Oleaceae family and first originated in the coastal areas of eastern Mediterranean Basin and northern Saudi Arabia, Africa, Asia, Iraq, Iran and other nearby countries. It is famous for its pickles and oil for eating purposes because of the lots of nutritional health benefits. Olive is cultivated in many varieties differs in its color, shape, size, growth and its oil quality. Olives used for the consumption purposes are called as table olives. Olives are cultivated and have been used for eating purposes for around 5,000 to 6,000 years in the Palestine, Syria, Crete and etc.
Benefits of Olives
Olives are considered as the most nutritious and healthy fruit because of its various health-protective nutrients availability such as vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients. It contains a phytonutrient compound called hydroxytyrosol which has ability to prevent from the cancer and bone loss. Olive, olive oil and olive leaves are also used traditionally for many herbal medicine purposes to treat inflammatory problems, allergic inflammations and etc. Some of the outstanding nutritional health benefits of the olive are mentioned below:
Benefits of Green Olives
Green olives are healthier than the black olives as it contains higher amount of polyphenols. Green olives are selected unripe for the consumption purposes. Some of the amazing health benefits of the green olives are given below:
Benefits of Green Olives for Heart
Reduces Risk of Heart Problems
- It helps in eliminating excess level of bad cholesterol in the blood and managing normal blood pressure thus reduces the risk of heart problems.
Source of Vitamin E and Antioxidants
- As it is a good source of dietary fibers commonly found in other fruits and vegetables, highest source of Vitamin E, antioxidants and thus prevents from the risk of heart diseases.
Prevents Blood Clots Formation
- It helps in preventing from the formation of blood clots in the blood vessels thus prevents from the myocardial infarction due to deep vein thrombosis.
Keeps Heart Healthy
- It is rich source of the essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids and oleic acid which are much beneficial for the heart for proper functioning.
Prevents Hardening of Arteries
- It prevents arteries from the arteriosclerosis means hardening of arteries and stimulates proper blood flow in the blood vessels without any blockage.
Benefits of Green Olives for Brain
Prevents Age Related Degenerative Diseases
- It helps in preventing from the age related degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, benign tumour, malignant tumour in the brain.
Improves Memory Level
- It has polyphenols which help in reducing the oxidative stress and improving memory level by 25%.
Reduces Risk of Memory Loss
- It reduces the risk of dementia, memory loss and other neurological problems.
Prevents Mental Illness
- It prevents from the mental illness like depression if eaten on daily basis.
Benefits of Green Olives during Pregnancy
Maintains Hemoglobin Level
- It is a good source of folates and iron required by the body to maintain the normal hemoglobin level thus helps pregnant women and her infant from the anaemia and blood deficiency problems.
Benefits of Green Olives for Women
Enhances Fertility Level
- It enhances the fertility level among women by providing better growth and development of the reproductive system.
Maintains Estrogen Hormone Production
- It helps in maintaining the production of estrogen hormone among postmenopausal women and prevents the risk of hip bone fractures.
Reduces Risk of Breast Cancer
- It reduces the risk breast cancer among women as it is phytonutrients rich fruit.
Reduces Frequency of Hot Flashes
- It helps in reducing the frequency of hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause among menopausal women.
Benefits of Green Olives for Immunity
Makes Immunity System Healthy
- Eating olives regularly helps in maintaining the healthy immune system thus prevents from the oxidative stress and various chronic viral or bacterial diseases.
Benefits of Green Olives for Men
Enhances Sexual Desire
- It acts as a great and potent natural aphrodisiac thus prevents from the sexual debility among men by enhancing the sexual desire.
Natural Remedy to Men Problems
- It is a natural home remedy to treat men problems such as erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, low libido and etc if eaten regularly.
Benefits of Green Olives for Skin
- It makes the skin soft, supple, glowing, smooth and healthy by removing wrinkle problems as it contains skin nourishing oleic acid.
Prevents Skin Damage
- It is an antioxidants and vitamins rich fruit provides skin a glowing and healthy tone up texture by enhancing the cells nourishment and preventing them from getting damaged.
Rich Source of Antioxidants
- It helps in preventing from the skin cancer (malignant melanoma) because of its richness in the antioxidants.
Prevents Skin from UV Rays
- It prevents skin from the ultraviolet sun rays as it contains carotenoids pigment.
Fights Skin Problems
- It helps in fighting with pimples, blackheads, acne and etc problems of the skin.
Benefits of Green Olives for Weight Loss
Contains Healthy Fat
- It contains high level of monounsaturated (oleic acid, palmitoleic acid and etc) and polyunsaturated fatty acids which makes digestion process easy and stimulates cholecystokinin hormone which satisfy the brain by sending the message of fullness of stomach.
Burns Extra Body Fat
- It enhances the production of a chemical called adiponectin which helps in burning the extra body fat for at least 5 to 6 hours after eating.
Enhances Weight Loss
- Its regular consumption enhances weight loss by breaking down fats collected in the fat cells, promotes flat belly and reduces insulin insensitivity.
Benefits of Green Olives for Digestive System
Improves Digestive Health
- Its high level dietary fibers improve the digestive health and provide relief from the constipation.
Neutralizes Free Radicals
- It lowers down the risk of colon cancer, ulcers, gastritis and etc by neutralizing the harmful free radicals.
Stimulates Pancreatic Hormones Secretion
- It stimulates the pancreatic hormones secretion thus helps in lowering the formation of gallstone.
Other Health Benefits of Green Olives
Prevents from Inflammation and Allergies
- It anti-inflammatory and anti-histamines properties prevents from various inflammations and allergies.
Enhances Hemoglobin Level
- It stimulates red blood cells to carry out more oxygen all over the body by enhancing the level of hemoglobin in the blood.
Maintains Healthy Eye Vision
- It is good source of vitamin A which helps in maintaining the healthy eye vision and prevents from various eye disorders like glaucoma, cataracts, age related macular degeneration and etc.
Eliminates Harmful Toxins
- It has great purifying effect by enhancing detoxification and elimination of all the harmful toxins from the body.
Benefits of Green Olives for Cancer Prevention
Relieves Chronic Oxidative Stress
- Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties make it able to prevent from the variety of cancers by relieving the chronic oxidative stress and inflammations.
Protects DNA Damage
- Its antioxidant phytonutrients helps in protecting DNA damage and stimulate better cell functioning thus decreases the risk of cancer growth in the body.
Benefits of Green Olives for Bones and Joints
Prevents Age Related Bone Problems
- It is good source of calcium, vitamin D and phosphorous which promotes the better growth and development of the bones, joints and bone marrow thus prevents from the age related bone problems among men, kids and women.
Increases Calcium Absorption
- Eating olives regularly in diet protects from the risk rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis by increasing calcium absorption and improving the bone mineralization and calcification among men and women.
Benefits of Green Olives for Diabetes
Prevents from Diabetes
- It helps in lowering down the bad cholesterol level, improving high quality cholesterol level, promoting blood sugar control as well as enhancing the insulin sensitivity thus prevents from diabetes.
Reduces Risk of Weight Gain
- It reduces the risk of being obese, overweight and type-2 diabetes thus protects from the diabetic problems.
Benefits of Green Olives for hair
- It acts as very good hair conditioner and strengthens hair by providing more flexibility and shine.
- It helps in nourishing the dry scalp, moisturizes dry scalp and prevents from the hair loss, hair fall and dandruff problem.
Benefits of Black Olives
Black olives contain more ferrous sulfate compound which make them black color and collected during the green to purple stage. Black colored olives also have lots of health benefits which are mentioned below:
Slows Down Cholesterol Oxidation
- Antioxidant nutrients found in the black olives slows down the cholesterol oxidation in the body thus prevents from heart diseases.
Reduces Risk of Atherosclerosis
- It contains good amount of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids which reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and enhances the good cholesterol level in the blood.
Prevents from DNA and Cell Damage
- It is the richest source of vitamin E, phenolic antioxidants and anti-cancer compounds (squalene, terpenoid) which makes it able to neutralize the harmful free radicals thus prevents from DNA and cell damage as well as lowers the risk of cancers like colon cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, skin cancer and etc.
Moisturizes Skin and Hair
- Its richness in the monounsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidant nutrients makes it capable to naturally nourish, moisturize and protect the skin and hair.
Nourishes Bones and Connective Tissues
- Its anti-inflammatory nature provides nourishment to the bones and connective tissues thus prevents from asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and etc.
- It contains a painkiller chemical called oleocanthal which helps in reducing the inflammations.
Increases Red Blood Cells Count
- It is very high source of the iron which increases red blood cells count and capacity to carry more oxygen all over the body thus maintain the proper functioning of immune system.
Rich Source of Vitamin A
- It is rich in vitamin A thus helps in improving the eye vision and prevents from eye problems like cataracts, age related macular degeneration, ocular diseases, glaucoma and etc.
Enhances Digestive Health
- Insoluble fibers found in it enhance the digestive health by maintaining the bowel health, controlling blood sugar level and maintaining healthy weight.
Benefits of Olive Oil
Loaded with Monounsaturated Fatty Acids
- It is monounsaturated fatty acids rich food nourishes all the body systems and prevents from age related problems.
- Olive oil is loaded with the healthy fat means monounsaturated fatty acids which lowers the risk of heart diseases, stroke, hypertension, hyperlipidemia (high level of cholesterol and triglyceride in the blood) and etc.
Prevents from Chronic Diseases
- It reduces the risk of breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease if consumed on daily basis.
Prevents from Memory Problems
- Eating olive oil regularly reduces the risk of age related neurodegenerative like dementia, loss of memory and etc.
Benefits of Olive Leaves
Olive leaf and leaf extracts have lots of health benefits and have been used for years for medicinal purposes because of its anti-aging, immune-stimulator, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, antioxidant and etc properties. Extract from olive leaf has ability to provide relief from the brain edema, high blood pressure, improve blood-brain barrier permeability and etc. It can be taken in any form like powdered, liquid, tea, capsule and etc. It is also used to make variety of soaps and cosmetics goods for the skin.
Benefits of Olive Oil for Face, Skin and Hair
Good Skin Moisturizer
- It is very beneficial for dry skin type as it acts as a good skin moisturizer. It provides skin a glowing and soft look if massaged properly.
- It is a good moisturizer for the dry skin at the areas like wrist, elbows and knees.
Remedy to Dry Skin
- It provides instant relief from the problem of dry skin if the mixture of honey, egg yolk and olive oil is applied to the face for 15 mins then wash with lukewarm water.
Relieves Irritated and Sun Burnt Skin
- It provides relief from the irritated and sun burnt skin as it is a good antioxidant which prevents from the free radicals and induces healing if massaged well on the affected area.
Improves Skin Elasticity
- It is very good oil provides skin free of stretch marks for both men and women. It helps in improving the normal skin elasticity if massaged to the affected area.
Good Solution to various Hair Problems
- It is a good solution for lots of hair problems like dry, irritated scalp, dandruff and etc if massaged weekly with fingertips in the circular motion then wash with shampoo after 30 mins.
Rich Source of Vitamin E
- Vitamin E found in it nourishes the skin and makes it soft, supple, wrinkles free and free of impurities.
Nutritional Benefits of Green Olives per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient database)
Energy: 146 Kcal
Carbohydrate: 6.26 g
Sugars: 0.54 g
Protein: 0.84 g
Fat: 10.68 g
Total saturated: 1.415 g
Total Mono-unsaturated: 7.888 g
Total Poly-unsaturated: 0.911 g
Dietary Fibers: 3.2 g
Thiamin: 0.003 mg
Riboflavin: 0.007 mg
Niacin: 0.037 mg
Pantothenic acid: 0.015 mg
Pyridoxine: 0.009 mg
Folates: 3 μg
Choline: 14.2 mg
Vitamin A: 403 IU
Vitamin C: 0.9
Vitamin E: 1.65 mg
Vitamin K: 1.4 µg
Sodium: 735 mg
Potassium: 8 mg
Calcium: 88 mg
Copper: 0.251 mg
Iron: 3.30 mg
Magnesium: 4 mg
Manganese: 0.020 mg
Phosphorus: 3 mg
Selenium: 0.9 µg
Zinc: 0.22 mg
Beta-carotene: 237 µg
Beta-crypto-xanthin: 9 µg
Lutein-zeaxanthin: 510 µg
Phytosterols: 221 mg
Nutritional Benefits of Black Olives per 100 g
Energy: 115 Kcal
Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.9 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g
Carbohydrate: 6 g
Dietary Fibers: 3.2 g
Sugar: 0.54 g
Protein: 0.8 g
Sodium: 735 mg
Potassium: 8 mg
Calcium: 88 mg
Copper: 0.145 mg
Iron: 3.30 mg
Magnesium: 4 mg
Manganese: 0.020 mg
Phosphorus: 3 mg
Selenium: 0.9 µg
Zinc: 0.22 mg
Nutritional Benefits of Virgin Olive Oil per 100 g
Virgin olive oil is a pure type of olive oil which is available in the market in least processed form having high level of monounsaturated fatty acids and more polyphenols than the other olive oil thus more beneficial for the heart.
Energy: 885 kcal
Fat: 100 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 73 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 11 g
Omega-3 fatty acid: 1.5 g
Omega-6 fatty acid: 3.5 g
Vitamin E: 14 mg
Vitamin K: 62 μg
Nutritional Benefits of Olive Pomace Oil per 100 g
Olive pomace oil is also an olive oil which is produced by the extraction process from the olive pulp residues left after the production of virgin olive oil and used for the consumption purposes by the human beings.
Energy: 824 Kcal
Fat: 100 g
Saturated fat: 14 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 7 g
Monounsaturated fat: 79 g
How to Enjoy Olives
Olives can be enjoyed in number of ways such as whole olives, olives pickles, and olive oil in many recipes. Olive oil can be used to make variety of delicious recipes such as vegetable salad, fruit salad, vegetables, sandwich spread, fish or poultry items, sauce, toss pasta, tuna or chicken with chopped olives and etc.
How to Select and Store Olives
It needs some more precautions and safety while buying olives in any form from the market. It is available in the market packed in the jars, cans and large barrels as well. It is available in wide varieties of different colors (like green, green-gray, yellow-green, dark red, red-brown, rose, black, purplish-black and etc) and textures like shiny or cracked. Canned olives can be stored safely in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks. Label contents should be taken care (to get the correct expire and manufactured date) while selecting olives from the market.
Disadvantages, Side Effects and Precautions of Olives
Instead of having lots of health benefits, olives have some disadvantages and side effects which need careful precautions while using in any form. Some of are mentioned below:
- Buying canned olives should be avoided as they contain high level of acrylamide.
- Some people may develop allergic symptoms while eating olives due to the presence of lye brine or caustic soda. They contain high level of sodium as well which may lead to the hypertension and other heart disorders.
- Olive leaf may affect the growth and development of the fetus thus should be avoided during pregnancy or lactation (breast-feeding).
- Olive leaves are also avoided by the diabetic person as it may highly lower down the blood-sugar level.
How Many Olives a Day
As olives are rich in the sodium mineral so, eating more olives than the limit may cause some serious health disorders such hypertension, water retention, heart problems and etc. So it is very necessary to eat olives according to the requirement of the body which varies from person to person. It also depends on the age, sex and health conditions of the person. A person with good health condition can eat 4-5 black olive and 7-8 green olives a day. However, it is must to consult with doctor before including it to the daily routine.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Oil