Cantaloupe is commonly known as muskmelon and kharbuja especially in India however also famous as rock melon and sweet melon all over the world. It is found in many varieties, shapes and colors and belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. It was originated in the India, Iran and Africa whereas first cultivated in the Europe and then spread in various regions of the world. It is greatly found during summer season especially from April to August. It is a sweetest and amazing fruit having cooling effect on the body during whole summer season. Its high water, minerals and vitamins content are great source of nutrition required to nourish the health.
Benefits of Muskmelon (Cantaloupe/Kharbuja) Fruit
It is considered as the ideal summer fruit because of its high water, minerals and vitamins content which helps in balancing the fluid and electrolytes loss during summer season. It involves in managing body heat as well as helps in combating heat related health disorders because of its cooling effects. Some of the outstanding nutritional health benefits of the muskmelon are mentioned below:
Benefits of Muskmelon for Digestive System
Provides Relief from Constipation
- Its high water and dietary fibers content help people to get relief from the constipation and other digestive disorders if consumed regularly.
Provides Relief from Acidity
- This fruit is very good for the digestion provides relief from the acidity and stomach problems.
Stimulates Digestive Functioning
- It properly nourishes the digestive system, stimulates its functioning and helps in treating lack of appetite.
Regulates Bowel Movements
- It makes the bowel movement very smooth and easy thus helps in keeping proper digestion.
Provides Relief from Diarrhea
- It provides relief from the diarrhea if it is eaten by sprinkling the mixture of kali mirch, ginger powder, sendha namak and roasted powdered jeera.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Skin
Contains all Essential Nutrients
- It is naturally loaded with the high level of phytonutrients (alpha and beta-carotene), folates, folic acid, potassium, vitamins like C, E, K and A which are highly required nutrients to keep skin natural, soft, glowing, healthy and younger looking.
- Including it as a part of daily diet gives fast result for skin.
Maintains Skin Texture
- It contains a most essential element of the skin called collagen which helps in maintaining the natural skin integrity and texture. It also fastens the wound healing process as well as maintaining the skin firmness.
Removes all Spots
- It prevents from the rough and dry skin problems, removes black spots, blemishes and other scars.
- It helps in maintaining skin hydrated and rejuvenating as it contains vitamins K, B and E.
Induce Skin Regeneration
- It helps in inducing skin regeneration process by inducing the collagen formation thus provides skin youthful glow and natural elasticity.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Women
Regulates Blood Flow during Menstruation
- Its high potassium level helps in excreting extra sodium in the body and maintains blood pressure to the normal level thus helps women during menstruation by reducing the heavy blood flow and clots formation.
Induce Breast Milk Production
- Regular consumption of the musk melon during lactation helps mothers by enhancing the sufficient breast milk production to properly feed their baby.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Weight Loss
Contains Low Calorie
- It is a very low calorie fruit having high amount of dietary fibers, water, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients which acts as a great snack in between the meals.
Calms Down Hunger Pangs
- It calms down the hunger pangs in very healthy ways so it is great to have as a snack instead of eating unhealthy items.
- It is a very good option for those greatly conscious towards their health and weight as it effectively helps in managing the weight without much effort.
Benefits of Muskmelon during Pregnancy
Rich in Folic Acid and Iron
- It is rich in folic acid and iron which are very essential for both mother and baby.
Prevents Baby from Birth Defects
- It keeps baby healthy and provides better environment for the proper growth and development by preventing baby from the birth defects.
Provides Reliefs from Morning Sickness
- It provides relief from the morning sickness during first trimester of pregnancy.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Heart
Reduces Risk of Heart Diseases
- It prevents from the risk of stroke and heart diseases as it contains an anticoagulant compound called adenosine which has ability to stop the blood clot formation.
Regulates Blood Pressure
- It contain high potassium and no cholesterol thus helps in regulating the blood pressure under control and very helpful for the normal heart functioning.
Prevents from Hardening of Arteries
- It prevents from the arteriosclerosis means hardening of the arteries and reduces the risk of heart attacks.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Cancer Prevention
Prevents from Cancer
- It reduces the risk of cancer as it contains antioxidant flavonoids and carotenoids which are anti-cancerous in nature and inhibits the growth of cancerous cells.
Prevents from Ageing
- It safeguards the body against harmful effects of free radicals thus prevents from early ageing and various cancers like colon cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, uterus cancer, lung cancer, pancreatic cancer and etc.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Diabetes
Regularizes Blood Sugar Level
- It prevents from the diabetic nephropathy (damage of the kidney cells due to high blood sugar level) as it is a fruit of low glycemic index and contains simple sugar (fructose and glucose) thus safe for people suffering from diabetes.
Benefits of Muskmelon for Hair
Promotes Hair Growth
- It is the richest source of vital nutrients and essential minerals which helps in maintaining the growth of hair and health of scalp.
Prevents from Hair Loss
- It prevents from the hair fall and hair loss by promoting proper hair growth if consumed regularly.
Nourishes Hair Scalp
- It acts as a good hair conditioner in the hot season if hair scalp is massaged properly with muskmelon pulp and then wash.
Other Health Benefits of Muskmelon
Provides Relief from Heartburn and Kidney Problems
- Its high water and minerals content provides natural cooling and soothing effects thus provides relieve from the heartburn and kidney problems.
Reduces Risk of Kidney Diseases
- It is highly diuretic in nature which keeps kidneys safe by keeping it away from the kidney diseases if it is taken once in the morning regularly.
Prevents from Stone Formation and Bone Loss
- It reduces the risk of kidney stones formation as well as prevents from the age related bone loss.
Makes Immune System Strong
- It is the rich source of vitamin C which acts as a powerful antioxidant agent and provides body a disease fighting ability by enhancing the immunity level.
Prevents from UTI
- It prevents from the urinary tract infections, ulcers and etc problems.
Boosts Body Energy
- It is a very good energy booster because of the B group vitamins availability.
Induces Better Sleep
- It has mild laxative property which provides relief from the tiredness by promoting proper sleep.
Protects from Eye Problems
- Vitamin A found in it nourishes the nerve tissues of the eyes thus prevents from the age related macular degeneration, loss of vision, cataracts and etc.
Maintains Electrolyte Balance
- It helps in maintaining the proper nervous system functioning by regulating proper electrolyte balance in the extracellular fluid. It helps in reducing water retention in the body thus prevents from being edematous.
Reduces Stress Level
- It is a mild anti depressant thus provides relief from stress by stimulating the proper brain functioning.
Prevents from Infections
- It makes defense mechanism of the body stronger to check the foreign bodies attack thus prevents from various infections.
Helps in Various Problems
- It reduces the bad cholesterol level in the blood, stimulates weight loss, cures infections, ulcer, constipation, skin disorders, acidity, and nervous system disorders.
- It makes body strong and healthy by preventing from the sciatica, arthritis, bone diseases, urinary diseases and various skin diseases.
- It helps in removing internal problems by purifying the blood and making the joints healthy and strong.
Keeps Brain Healthy and Improves Memory Power
- It helps in keeping the brain healthy and strong by improving brain power and preventing from the stress, depression, sleeping disorders, summer heat and other brain problems.
- It prevents from the heat stroke during whole summer season by keeping the body cool and rehydrate.
Improves Liver Health
- It keeps liver healthy by regularizing its functioning and removing swelling problems if it is consumed regularly.
Benefits of Muskmelon Juice
Prevents from Digestive Disorders
- It is a natural diuretic and laxative in nature thus prevents from many problems like lack of appetite, infections, acidity, constipation, ulcer, weakness and etc.
Enhances Sexual Desire
- It is a natural aphrodisiac which enhances sexual desire among men and cures erectile dysfunction.
Beneficial with Mishri and Lemon Juice
- Drinking musk melon juice by mixing with powdered mishri and lemon juice prevents from the stone formation, constipation, urinary tract infections and various digestive system disorders.
Benefits of Muskmelon Seeds
Treats Intestinal Worms Problem
- Eating muskmelon seeds provides help to get rid of intestinal worms and regulates proper digestion. It also helps in curing cough, indigestion, fever and etc.
Provides Relief from Stress
- It helps in relieving from the mind tension if paste of the musk melon seeds is applied to the forehead for some time.
- Drinking juice (sarbat) of the musk melon seeds by mixing it properly also keeps mind stress free and cool.
Nutritional Benefits of Muskmelon per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient database)
Energy: 34 Kcal
Carbohydrate: 8.6 g
Protein: 0.84 g
Fat: 0.19 g
Dietary Fibers: 0.9 g
Sugar: 7.86 g
Thiamin (B1): 0.017 mg
Riboflavin (B2): 0.026 mg
Niacin (B3): 0.734 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5): 0.105 mg
Pyridoxine (B6): 0.072 mg
Folates: 21 µg
Choline: 7.6 mg
Vitamin A: 3382 IU
Vitamin E: 0.05 mg
Vitamin C: 36.7 mg
Vitamin K: 2.5 mcg
Sodium: 1 mg
Potassium: 267 mg
Calcium: 9 mg
Copper: 41 µg
Iron: 0.21 mg
Phosphorus: 15 mg
Magnesium: 12 mg
Manganese: 0.041 mg
Zinc: 0.18 mg
Alpha-carotene: 2020 µg
Beta-cryptoxanthin: 1 µg
Lutein-zeaxanthin: 26 µg
How to Enjoy
It can be enjoyed in variety of ways such as simple slicing, decorated slicing, fruit salad, juice, seeds, jam, sorbet, ice-cream, cold soup, mix musk melon slices with yogurt, lemon and mint.
How to Select and Store
It is widely available in the market during summer season. Try to buy only organically grown muskmelons as they contain more nutrients and no harmful chemicals. It should be with intact, smooth, soft skin, well shaped and mature, bright color and fresh. Avoid buying bruised, wrinkled skin, deformed, dull color and unripe muskmelon.
Disadvantages, Side Effects and Precautions
Muskmelon does not have any disadvantage, side effect or allergic fruit however eating inorganically grown muskmelons should be avoided to get prevented from pesticide residues. Eating more muskmelons should be avoided during pregnancy, breast feeding or any serious condition of the health. Whole muskmelon should be washed properly under running water as it may cause some infections and digestive problems.
How Much Muskmelon to Eat a Day
Eating muskmelon during summer season is very good and healthy for the body nourishment however its high dose should be avoided. 300-400 gm of the muskmelon can be eaten by any normal person during the summer season but should be immediately consulted by the physician if any problem occurs.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices