Mosambi or Sweet lime is also known as the mousambi, musambi (in North India), Moosambi (in South India), Mishta nimbuka (in Sanskrit), Meeta nimbuka (in Hindi), sweet lemon (in Persian) and sweet limetta. It is a citrus fruit (belongs to the Citrus family) which was first originated in the regions of Mediterranean Southeast Asia.Sweet lime or Mosambi juice is very famous juice all through the India, Pakistan and Bangladesh and can be found in almost every season (however, sufficiently available in July, August and November, March.) at road side shops and fruit mandi. People generally like drinking its juice during summer season by adding some salty chat masala, kala namak and etc.
Benefits of Mosambi / Sweet Lime
Mosambi or Sweet lime is called as sweet lime because of its sweet taste and lemon like appearance. It helps people to complete their daily needs of vitamin C, potassium and required minerals. It is very juicy, combination of sweet and sour, delicious and refreshing drink provides both, cooling and medicinal effects to the health. Some of its amazing and real health and medicinal benefits are mentioned below:
Benefits of Mosambi for Digestive System
Stimulates Digestive System Functioning
- It is rich source of phytonutrients and flavonoids which helps in stimulating digestive system functioning by enhancing digestive juice secretions and maintaining level of bile.
Cures Digestive System Disorders
- Mosambi helps in curing some common digestive system disorders like nausea, indigestion, irregular bowel movements and etc.
Boosts Digestion Process
- It boosts up the digestion process as it helps in neutralizing the extra acids produced by stomach as well as flushes out body toxins through excretory system.
- It keeps peristaltic motion healthy and helps in controlling nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Sweet lime makes bowel tract smooth and provides relief from the constipation as it is contains good level of dietary fibers which acts as roughage (purgative property) and makes stool soft and easy passage.
Promotes Healing of Ulcers
- Flavonoids found in it called Limomin Glucoside has anti carcinogenic, antioxidant and antibiotic properties thus helps in healing internal wounds called ulcers (oral and peptic).
Benefits of Mosambi in Scurvy Disease
- Scurvy is a disease affects people during deficiency of vitamin C in the body which develops lots of symptoms like bleeding gums, swollen gums, increased frequency of flu, common cold, oral ulcer, tongue ulcer, cracked corners of lip and etc.
Fulfills Need of Vitamin C
- Regular intake of mosambi (whole or juice) helps in reducing all the symptoms of scurvy disease by fulfilling the level of required vitamin C in the body.
Controls Bleeding Gums
- Sweet lime makes gums stronger than before and helps in controlling bleeding from gums and bad breath problem.
Benefits of Mosambi Juice/Sweet Lime Juice
- Regular intake of mosambi juice helps in relieving fatigue and weakness due to motion sickness.
Relieves Heart Burn and Acidity
- Drinking a glass of mosambi juice on daily basis helps in relieving from heartburn and acidity.
Prevents from Sunstroke and Dehydration
- It has ability to prevent from the sunstroke and dehydration during summer season as it contains lots of water, essential vitamins, electrolytes and minerals.
Reduces Muscle Cramps
- It is highly preferred by the sport persons and athletes after their hard work out sessions as it fulfills the water level and reduces muscle cramps.
Maintains Blood Sugar Level
- Sweet lime juice is very beneficial for the diabetic patients if the mixture of mosambi juice, amla juice and honey is taken with empty stomach in the early morning.
Prevents from Eye Disorders
- Its antioxidant and anti-bacterial nature provides eye protection from various infections like conjunctivitis and age related muscular degeneration.
Benefits of Mosambi Juice in Pregnancy
Promotes Better Growth of Fetus
- Sweet lime juice is good source of potassium, calcium and vitamin C which are necessarily required by the growing fetus for the proper growth and development.
Promotes Functioning of Brain and Nervous System
- Its cooling property keeps brain and nervous system functions smooth thus prevents from brain fever and mental issues during pregnancy to both mother and baby.
Boosts Blood Circulation
- Mosambi juice has high level of vitamin C which boosts the blood circulation all through the body thus keeps both mother and baby healthy.
Benefits of Mosambi Juice in jaundice
Regularizes Liver Functioning
- Mosambi juice is considered that it reduces the symptoms of jaundice by regularizing the liver functioning and controlling bile secretion in the body thus highly preferred by the doctor for the people suffering from jaundice.
Cures Respiratory Problems
- It helps in curing asthma and other respiratory problems if mosambi juice is taken by mixing some cumin seeds and dry ginger powder.
Prevents from Infection
- Sweet lime provides relief during tonsillitis and its painful symptoms as it is rich in vitamin C which reduces infections of cold, cough and fever as well as soothes irritating, dry, itchy and sore throat.
Benefits of Mosambi Juice for men
Strengthens Body and Improves Sperm Count
- Regular consumption of mosambi juice enhances appetite level, purifies blood as well as raises the sperm quality and count among men.
Benefits of Mosambi Juice for Hair
Its antiseptic and antibacterial properties add lots of benefits towards beauty therapies which are mentioned below:
- It helps in strengthening hair because of its richness in vitamins and minerals.
Treats Hair Loss
- Mosambi juice helps in treating split hair ends and dandruff problem.
Promotes Hair Growth
- It makes hair bright, shiny, long, natural black and strong as it provides all the required nutrients for the hair growth and maintenance.
Provides Natural Color to Hair
- It is rich source of copper mineral which involve in the formation of pigment melanin thus provides natural color to the hair.
Benefits of Mosambi Juice for Skin
Provides Wonderful Skin
- Drinking mosambi juice regularly is very good for getting wonderful skin as it contains high vitamin C level (used in manufacturing various skincare products and medicinal supplements in order to treat dry, rough skin, improving skin tone, speeding up healing and so many.
Removes Dark Pigmentation and Spots
- It has mild bleaching and cleansing property and helps to get rid of dark pigmentation, spots, acne, pimples, blemishes and etc.
Lightens Skin Tone
- It provides glowing, radiant and smooth skin by reducing the scars of insect bite and lightening the skin tone if consumed regularly.
- Sweet lime juice helps in detoxifying the body which provides natural glow and shine to the skin.
Cures Dark and Cracked Lips
- It helps in lightening the dark skin on lips as well as curing cracked lips.
Other Health Benefits of Mosambi
Used to Prepare Various Medicines
- Oil extracts from mosambi is used in manufacturing various medicines (balms, inhalers, vaporizers and etc) treating respiratory problems because of its anti-congestive property.
Prevents from Infection
- Its richness of vitamin C helps in boosting immunity level which ultimately helps body to stay at bay from various infections and disorders like heart disorders, improper blood circulation, cold, flu and etc.
Prevents from Bone Problems
- Sweet lime provides protection against rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, inflammations and swellings thus good to maintain the health of bones.
Regularizes BP and Cholesterol Level
- It helps in maintaining normal cholesterol level, blood pressure and weight loss if a glass of little warm water is taken with mosambi juice and honey.
Removes Body Toxins
- It contains high level of potassium electrolyte which manages proper blood flow all over the body thus detoxifies kidneys, liver and bladder by removing toxins which ultimately reduces occurrence of infections and urinary disorders.
Prevents Accumulation of Uric Acid
- Its antioxidant nature prevents accumulation of uric acid and bad effects of free radicals in the body by flushing out all the unnecessary uric acids and neutralizing free radicals.
Nutritional Benefits of Mosambi/Sweet Lime per 100 g
Source: (USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 43 kcal
Carbohydrate: 9.3 g
Water: 88 g
Sugar: 1.7 g
Dietary fibers: 0.5 g
Fat: 0.3 g
Protein: 0.7-0.8 g
Vitamin C: 50 mg
Vitamin A: 20 IU
Calcium: 40 mg
Iron: 0.7 mg
Phosphorus: 30 mg
Potassium: 490 mg
How to Select and Store
Always buy fresh, bright colored, soft, pulpy and smooth skinned sweet limes or mosambi from the market during seasons to avoid the use of inorganic mosambi. Avoid buying bruised, wrinkled, spotted skinned and too soft mosambi from the market. It can be saved for two weeks long at room temperature however in the refrigerator for four to eight weeks long. Frozen juice of the mosambi can also be saved in the refrigerator.
How to Enjoy
It can be used according to the taste and requirement of the person such as fruit and vegetable salads, baked dishes, juice by adding pinch of salt, sugar or mint leaves as a refreshing drink in the hot summer, added as a flavor to the fruit pickles, chutneys, jams, candies, snacks, sorbets and etc. It is also used to prepare some cosmetic products like soaps, hair oil, body massage oil, face wash, tooth paste and deodorants.
How much Mosambi/Sweet Lime Juice to Drink a Day
As everybody knows that anything might harm the health anytime thus precautions are best to avoid health disorders. Consume mosambi or its juice daily but within limit and according to your body requirement and health condition to stay away from its side effects or disadvantages.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices