Mango fruit is the most favorite fruit among all the fruits because of its fragrance, flavor, taste and healthy nutrients. It belongs to the Anacardiaceae family and Mangifera genus and has been categorized as the “king of fruits” which is found abundantly in many countries like India, Burma, Malaysia, Africa, Java, Sumatra and etc. It is a fruit packed with all the nutrient like vitamins, minerals, phyto-nutrients, antioxidants, enzymes and etc. It is also called as the super fruits.
It is cultivated in the tropical regions of the country from April to August. It has juicy sweet pulp of yellowish orange color with soft fibrils attached to the hard seed. Around 1,000 varieties of the mangoes are cultivated all across the world.
It was first originated in the South Asia and then distributed to other countries of the world which has now become the most cultivated fruits. Its leaves and fruits are also used in various Indian ritual ceremonies according to the culture and tradition. India is the largest producer of the mangos whereas China ranks second largest source. In India, it is famous as “safeda”.
Benefits of Mango Fruit
Mangoes are the richest source of most important vitamins (A, C, B, E, K), minerals, phyto-nutrients, dietary fibbers, electrolytes and iron which are mostly required by the for better growth and development as well as being healthy and live life without any diseases and infections. It is liked by all people due to its nice color, taste, flavor and quality health aspects. I have mentioned below the few beneficial aspects of the mangoes which you must know to enhance your interest while eating mangoes:
Benefits of Mango for Cancer Prevention
Protects from various Cancers
- Mango fruit has antioxidant compounds (such as quercetin, fisetin, astragalin, gallic acid, isoquercitrin, methyl gallate and etc) and lots of enzymes which help in protecting against various body organs cancers like colon, leukemia, breast, stomach, prostate, lungs, cervical, oral cavity cancers and etc.
Restricts Growth of Cancerous Cells
- Polyphenols found in it acts as an anti inflammatory agent and restricts the growth of cancerous cells.
Rich Source of Pectin
- The soluble dietary fibers, pectin found in it has property of decreasing the action of protein (galectin) found in the cancerous cells.
Benefits of Mango for Heart health
Keeps Heart Healthy
- It contains highest level of soluble dietary fibers (pectin) and vitamin C which involves in lowering the bad serum cholesterol levels means Low-Density Lipoproteins as well as enhancing the good serum cholesterol levels means High-Density Lipoproteins thus keeps the heart healthy by keeping all the heart problems away.
Controls Blood Pressure
- It is the rich source of potassium which involves in controlling the blood pressure thus heart rate.
Benefits of Mango for Skin
Source of Antioxidants
- It is beneficial for the skin in both ways whether it is eaten or applied externally on the skin.
- It has antioxidants which make the skin healthy, smooth, glowing and wrinkles free.
- It clear out the blocked pores and provides solution to get free from the pimples if applied on the face.
Rejuvenates and Repairs Skin
- It makes the skin glowing by reducing the dark spots, blemishes and acne as it contains vitamin A and beta carotene which rejuvenates and repairs the skin.
- It is a best scrub thus removes blackheads and dead skin cells and adds glow to the skin.
Protects from Free radicals
- Its antioxidant nature prevents the onset of early skin ageing and pigmentation by protecting from the harmful free radicals.
Makes Skin Clean and Smooth
- Applying the mixture of mango pulp, milk, crushed almonds and oats on the face for 20 mins and then rinse with lukewarm water, makes the clean and smooth.
Enhances Wound Healing
- Vitamin C found in it enhances the wound healing, collagen formation and etc.
Benefits of Mango for Eye Health
Maintains Proper Eyesight
- It is the richest source of the vitamin A which helps in maintaining the proper eyesight and preventing from night blindness, cataracts, age-related macular degeneration, dry eyes and etc.
Contains Essential Elements
- It is the good source of flavonoid compounds like alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin which are very essential elements for the proper vision.
Benefits of Mango and Mango Leaves for Diabetes
Normalizes Blood Insulin Level
- Mango leaves are considered as the better treatment (home remedy) for the diabetic people. It helps in normalizing the blood insulin level in the body. Boiling some mango leaves in the water, left it for whole night and consumes the filtered mango leaves water in the early morning.
Maintains Blood Sugar Level
- Mango fruit has slightly low glycemic index of 40 to 60 which is considered does not involve in increasing the blood sugar level if taken in limit.
Involves in Fat Metabolism
- It involves in the fat metabolism and reduces the blood level of the hormone called leptin (produced by fat cell) as well as lowers the blood glucose level.
Rich Source of Dietary Fibers
- It has soluble dietary fibers which involves in lowering down the blood glucose and cholesterol level.
Reduces Glucose Absorption
- It contains a special antioxidant called mangiferin helps in reducing the glucose absorption by the body as well as controls the secretion of enzymes enhancing carbohydrate digestion.
- Drinking the boiled and cooled mango leaves (dried in shadow) water two times a day helps in curing diabetes.
Benefits of Mango for Digestive System
Involves in Protein Digestion
- It has some necessary enzymes which involves in protein digestion thus helps in good digestion and elimination process.
- It is the highest insoluble dietary fibers containing fruit which eases the process of digestion and elimination.
Treats Acidity and Poor Digestion
- It is the best remedy to treat the acidity and poor digestion as it contains lots of enzymes having soothing effect on the stomach.
- Its high fibers content prevents from the constipation and regularizes the elimination process.
Enhances Appetite and Improves Digestion
- It contains some bioactive components such as esters, aldehydes, terpenes and etc which have ability to enhance the appetite and improve digestion.
Benefits of Mango for Immune system
- It is the good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, copper and variety of carotenoids which helps in boosting the immune system and prevents from various infections.
Beauty Benefits of Mango
- Applying mango pulp on the face helps in repairing and smoothing the skin because of its availability of beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin A.
Cleans up and Exfoliates Skin
- Applying mango mud mask to the face has cleaning and exfoliating effect on the skin.
Makes Skin Smooth
- The mixture of mango pulp and honey with milk acts as a good body scrub and makes the skin very smooth and clean.
Benefits of Mango for Brain
Reduces Stress Level
- Its vitamin B6 content helps in the production of the hormone called Gamma-Amino Butyric acid (GABA), very essential for the central nervous system to acts as a neurotransmitter and inhibits nerve transmission to the brain thus helps in reducing the stress level and relaxes the mind.
Prevents Neuro-degenerative Disorders
- It also reduces the risk of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, dementia and memory loss.
Improves Concentration Level
- It has glutamine acid which helps in improving the concentration level of brain and enhances the power of memory.
Benefits of Mango for Weight Loss
Burns Extra Calories
- It is the highest source of the variety of vitamins and minerals which keeps the stomach fuller for long time, boosts up the digestive functions, burns extra body calories and helps in maintaining weight.
Increases Metabolic Rate
- Its dietary fibers help in increasing the metabolic rate and cutting down the excess stomach flabs.
Benefits of Mango for Kids
Boosts Health of Memory Cells
- It is the best remedy to increase the mind concentration and memory power among kids as it contains the glutamine acid which boosts the memory cells and keep them alive for longer.
Promotes Growth and Development
- It also enhances the proper growth and development of the bones, muscles, brain and other body organs.
Benefits of Mango for Men
Enhances Sexual Desire
- It is the source of good level of vitamin E which enhances the sexual desire among men by regulating the sex hormones.
Enhances Virility Among Men
- It is called as the love fruit as it enhances the virility among men.
Suppress Tumor Cells
- A compound found in mango called lupeol which has ability to suppress the tumor cells causing prostate cancer.
Benefits of Mango for Women
- It improves the fertility and reduces the risk of miscarriage among women as it contains folic acid and B group vitamins.
Benefits of Mango for Women during Menopause
Prevents from Old Age Stress
- Menopausal women require more iron, calcium, folates and other vitamins to be healthy and getting prevented from the old age stress thus it can fulfill all the needs.
Benefits of Mango for Women during Pregnancy
Enhances RBC Production
- Copper mineral found in it involves in many reactions with vital enzymes (cytochrome c-oxidase and superoxide dismutase) as a co-factor as well as enhances the production of red blood cells thus prevents from anaemia and dizziness during pregnancy.
- Its high iron and copper level helps women suffering from anemia during the pregnancy.
Reduces Risk of Birth Defects
- It has good level of folates which helps infant to grow better and reduces the risk of birth defects like brain or spinal cord defects. Folates also help in RBCs formation, DNA synthesis and keeps cardiovascular functioning healthy.
Manages Blood Hemoglobin Level
- Vitamin C found in it enhances the non-heme iron (plant food based iron) absorption in the body thus manages the blood hemoglobin level.
Benefits of Mango for Hair
Promotes Hair Growth
- It is the highest source of the vitamins and minerals which provide better nourishment to the hair and accelerate the hair growth.
Good Hair Conditioner
- The mixture of mango pulp, yoghurt and egg yolk acts as a good hair conditioner and makes the hair soft and silky if applied to hair for 30 mins.
- Its vitamins A content helps in controlling dandruff and provides shine to the hair.
Improves Blood Circulation to Scalp
- Its vitamin E content moisturizes the hair as well as improves blood circulation to the scalp and promotes hair growth.
Prevents Premature Hair Graying
- Massaging the scalp with mango seed oil helps in preventing from the premature hair graying, hair loss, dandruff, hair fall and etc.
Benefits of Mango for Teeth and Gums
Maintains Health of Teeth and Gums
- It contains vitamin C which is very necessary to maintain the health of teeth and gums. Vitamin C helps in absorbing more iron and inhibiting the nitrosamine production (a cancer causing agent).
Keeps Teeth Healthy and Strong
- It also contains high level of calcium and phosphorus which keeps the teeth healthy and strong.
Benefits of Mango for Kidney
Reduces Risk of Kidney Disorders
- It reduces the risk of formation of kidney stones as well as prevents from the various other kidneys disorders.
Other Health Benefits of Mango
Maintains Alkalinity in Body
- It has lots of alkaline substances such as malic acid, tartaric acid, citric acid and etc which help in maintaining the alkalinity of the whole body.
Remedy to Heat Stroke
- It acts as the best home remedy for the heat stroke. Mix green mangoes juice into the water and some sweetener or salt which helps in cooling down the body and prevents from the strong heat of the sun. It also flushes out the toxins from the kidneys.
Develops Body Resistance to Infections
- It is the richest source of many vitamins like vitamin B6, vitamin C and vitamin E which helps in developing the body resistance against many infections as well as prevents from the harmful free radicals.
Prevents Age Related Damages
- Antioxidants found in it help the body to get prevented from the age related oxidative damages and cancer.
Reduces Risk of Disorders
- It reduces the risk of asthma, bacterial infections, diarrhea, dysentery, eye disorders, liver disorders, fever, hair loss, kidney problems like nephritis, menstrual disorders, morning sickness, piles, respiratory problems, scurvy, sinusitis, spleen enlargement, leucorrhea, vaginitis and so many.
Source of Vitamin C
- It is the good source of vitamin C which prevents from the risk of cancer, scurvy, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis and heart diseases.
Maintains Health of Bones and Blood Vessels
- It has lots of calcium, vitamin A, copper, phosphorus and magnesium which help in maintaining the health of bones and blood vessels.
Treats Dried Cough
- Eating roasted mango on the heat (well ripe mango) helps in treating dried cough and other symptoms of cough.
Benefits of Mango Seed Oil
Remedy to Hair Loss and Grey Hair
- Mango seed oil is the best remedy for the hair loss and grey hair as it contains vitamins, fatty acids and minerals which have moisturizing properties. Mango seed oil can be prepared at home by adding mango seed to the coconut oil or mustard oil. Keep the mixture to the sunlight for some days. This solution can be used anytime to the hair to get long, healthy, black, thick and shiny hair.
Benefits of Aam Panna
Aam panna is much liked by the people in India during whole summer season because of its amazing cooling effects on the body. It is prepared using some raw mango by boiling process. Boil some peeled raw mango into the water and let it cool at room temperature. Mash the boiled mango in the container having cold or normal water and add some pinch of jeera powder, white salt and black salt according to the taste and requirement. Now your aam panna is ready to drink in the hotty summer. Some of its health benefits are mentioned below:
Prevents from Heat Stroke
- It has ability to beat the summer heat and prevents from heat stroke by providing cooling effect to the body.
Prevents Body from Water and Salt Loss
- It protects the body from the loss of extra salt, water and iron during summer through the sweating process.
- It helps body to fight with dehydration by managing the fluid balance and keeping body hydrated for long time.
Vitamin C Rich Drink
- It is vitamin C rich drink thus helps in boosting the body immune system and preventing from various infectious diseases during summer season.
Prevents Summer Problems
- It prevents from the diarrhea, cholera and other common problems of summer.
Treats Indigestion and Constipation
- It helps in treating the digestive system problems like indigestion and constipation.
- It contains good amount of iron thus helpful to beat anemia.
- It is antioxidant in nature thus fights with cancer, slows down the occurrence of aging, improves digestion and acidity problem.
Nutritional Benefits of Mango per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 70 Kcal
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 0.5 g
Total Fat: 0.27 g
Dietary Fibers: 1.80 g
Folates: 43 µg
Thiamin: 0.058 mg
Riboflavin: 0.057 mg
Niacin: 0.584 mg
Pantothenic acid: 0.160 mg
Pyridoxine: 0.134 mg
Vitamin C: 27.7 mg
Vitamin A: 765 IU
Vitamin E: 1.12 mg
Vitamin K: 4.2 µg
Choline: 7.6 mg
Sodium: 2 mg
Potassium: 168 mg
Calcium: 11 mg
Copper: 0.110 mg
Iron: 0.16 mg
Phosphorus: 14 mg
Magnesium: 9 mg
Manganese: 0.027 mg
Zinc: 0.04 mg
Carotene-β: 640 µg
Carotene-α: 17 µg
Crypto-xanthin-β: 11 µg
Lutein and zeaxanthin: 23 μg
Selection and Storage of Mango
Mangoes are found everywhere in the summer season from April to August. It is a super fruit of multipurpose. Always buy solid, well ripened, vibrant color and fresh mangoes from the market. Avoid buying spotted, bruised, cut or wrinkled skin mangoes. Store it in the cool and dry place or in the refrigerator as placing it in the sun light decreases its vitamin C level. Fully matured and unripe mangoes can also be bought as they can easily be ripened at room temperature if kept wrapped with papers for few days.
How to Enjoy Mango
Mangoes can be enjoyed in many ways like ripe and unripe both. Unripe mangoes can be used to make various Indian dishes such as salty chatni, sweetened chatni, guramma, pickles, panna and etc. Ripe mangoes can be eaten by cutting it, mango shake, milk mango shake, fruit salad, mango salsa, Jam, ice cream or candy and etc. It should be washed properly under running water before eating or use for other purposes in order to wash out dust or pesticides over the skin. Ripe mangoes can be eaten as such or adding sweet flavor.
Disadvantages, Side Effects and Precautions of Mango
Even after being a most nutritious and healthy super fruit; it may cause some serious health disorder if taken over limit or without considering health aspects. Some of the disadvantages, side effects and precautions of the mango are mentioned below which one should must know before going to include it to the regular diet:
- Unripe mango latex (anacardic acid) may cause allergy to some people, who are sensitive to it, with the symptoms of itchiness (mouth angle, lips or tongue tip), vomiting, swelling of lips, respiratory difficulty, mouth ulceration, diarrhea and etc.
- Mangoes are high in calories and having high sugar content thus may cause problem to the person with diabetes. It should be taken by the diabetic people within limit without adding salt or sugar.
- Mango peels and mango juice contains urushiol which is poisonous in nature and may cause allergic reactions to the sensitive people (skin allergy, dermatitis).
- Mangos, which are ripened using calcium carbide, may cause some severe health disorders if eaten improperly washed.
How Many Mangoes to Eat Per Day
Mangoes are high calorie fruit which may add some extra weight to the body if taken over limit by the people who do not involve in the physical exercises. It is good to have all the nutritional benefits of anything however it should be eaten within limit or considering health status. One medium size mango has ability to fulfill 1/4th of the vitamin C, 2/3rd of the vitamin A and good level of vitamin E and dietary fibers of daily requirement of the body.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Summer fruits