It is considered as in order to fulfill daily requirement of the vitamins and minerals, people should eat at least five servings of the leafy vegetables or leafy salads. Variety of green leaves are edible however some are not able to eat but highly used topically as a home remedy to treat various health disorders. They are full of fibers (soluble and insoluble both), vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients which prevent us from the diseases as well as maintain a healthy weight. Some of the health benefits are mentioned below:
- It helps in lowering bad cholesterol in the blood as well as maintains healthy blood pressure.
- Regular intake of it prevents from the blood sugar swings by slowing down the rate of absorption of glucose in the bloodstream after meals.
- Its richness of fibers strengthens cardiovascular system thus prevents from heart diseases and type-2 diabetes.
- It is loaded with lot of water, minerals, vitamins which keep body (especially skin) hydrated and beautiful skin and hair.
- Some of the greens leaves are rich in calcium and makes teeth and bones strong as well as reduces the risk of osteoporosis in later ages.
- It contributes to healthy muscle functions and manages normal blood pressure.
- Its richness of antioxidants (vitamin C, lutein, and zeaxanthin) helps in reducing the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Its richness of beta-carotene helps in enhancing growth and repairing body tissues as well as protects skin from sun damage.
- Its excellence as a rich folates source reduces the risk of heart diseases and memory loss problem (as it contributes in producing serotonin which lowers down depression and improves mood).
Some of the edible and useful green leaves for the health are mentioned below: