Bael is commonly called as Bengal quince, wood apple, golden apple, elephant apple, bilwa, monkey fruit, stone apple, bili and scientifically known as Aegle marmelos. It was first originated in India however, presently found throughout the Southeast Asia. It is widely cultivated in Thailand, Sri Lanka and other regions of the southern Asia. It is the most sacred fruit in India traditionally used as a medicine, home remedy, ritual purposes and etc in India since 2000 BC. Every parts of this fruit means tree, root, leaves, seeds are usable for medicinal purposes because of its high level of nutritional values.
Benefits of Bael Fruit/Wood Apple
Bael is very famous all over the India for its amazing health benefits, medicinal benefits, ritual use and home remedy. It is very friendly to all age groups for their health and fitness. It is a best home remedy which helps to combat with various daily life health problems like constipation, peptic ulcer, indigestion, respiratory problems, diarrhoea, dysentery, piles, diabetes, sexual dysfunctions and so many. Wood apple provides immunity to fight with various infections like bacterial, viral, fungal and etc. Some of the health and medicinal benefits of the bael are mentioned below:
Benefits of Bael for Digestive System
Cures Digestive Problems
- Regular consumption of the bael helps in treating common digestive problems such as diarrhoea, constipation, cholera, haemorrhoids (piles), and many more due to its availability of tannin.
Provides Relief from Gastric Ulcer
- Wood apple contains some phenolic compounds having anti-oxidant property which provides relief from the gastric ulcer, gastro-duodenal ulcer, Irritable bowel syndrome and etc.
Removes Body Toxins
- Eating bael with the black pepper and salt regularly helps in removing toxins from intestines thus provides relief from the constipation.
Boosts Energy Level
- It acts as an instant energy booster and energizes the body by fulfilling the need of various nutrients in the body.
- It enhances the metabolism process by boosting the involved organs activities.
Benefits of Bael during Pregnancy
Relieves Morning Sickness
- Eating the pulp of raw bael with the sugar provides relief from the morning sickness during pregnancy.
Balances Haemoglobin Count
- Wood apple is iron rich fruit which has ability to balance the haemoglobin count in women during pregnancy thus prevents from iron deficiency anaemia.
Benefits of Bael for Diabetes
Controls Insulin Secretion
- It has laxative property which helps in managing the blood sugar levels by controlling the functions of pancreas and insulin secretion.
Benefits of Bael for skin
- Drinking the mixture of cumin, bael juice and bay leaf juice two times a day helps in curing a skin problem called urticaria.
Cures other Skin Problems
- Wood apple also helps in curing skin rashes, vitiligo (white patches on the skin), redness, itching and etc skin problems.
Benefits of Bael for Hair
- Scalp massage with the coconut oil having bael peel extract (heat bael peel in coconut oil) on regular basis provides relief from the dandruff.
Medicinal Benefits of Bael
Manages Blood Sugar Level
- Bael leaves juice helps in managing the blood sugar level as well as urination among diabetic person.
- Drinking juice of bael leaves (boil dried bael leaves in water) helps in managing the hypertension.
- Eating bael regularly during night by mixing with sugar and honey helps to cure tuberculosis.
- It enhances the appetite if bael leaves powder is taken continuous for some days.
Cures Indigestion and Constipation
- Wood apple cures the problem of indigestion and constipation if it is consumed daily (not more than a cup) with jaggery for 2-3 months.
Provides Relief from Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Taking powdered bael with a glass of buttermilk (or warm water) twice a day helps in relieving the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Taking powdered bael with warm water twice a day cures the problem of diarrhoea.
Benefits of Bael for Men
Treats Sexual Problems
- Its natural aphrodisiac property helps in enhancing the sexual desire among men as well as treating the conditions like impotence, sexual dysfunction, premature ejaculation, spermatorrhea and etc.
Benefits of Bael for Women
Enhances Breast Milk Production
- It helps in enhancing the production of breast milk among lactating mother if bael juice is taken with ginger powder and jaggery by the mother.
Protects from Breast Cancer
- It is capable to protect women from the breast cancer if eaten regularly.
Regularizes Progesterone Hormone
- Eating the chutney of bael fruit maintains the secretion of progesterone hormone among women and cures the deficiency of it.
- Wood apple provides relief from the pain, excess bleeding and other symptoms during menstruation.
Other Health Benefits of Bael
Prevents from Scurvy Disease
- Regular consumption of the bael fruit helps in preventing from the scurvy disease (caused due to the vitamin C deficiency).
Controls Cholesterol Level
- Wood apple helps in controlling the cholesterol level in the blood thus prevents from the disorders caused due to high blood cholesterol level.
Cures Respiratory Disorders
- Oil extracts of the bael is very effective to cure respiratory disorders including asthma, common cold, cough and etc.
- Bael extract has anti-inflammatory property and provides relief from the inflammations if applied to the inflamed region.
Cures Snake Bite
- Wood apple helps in curing snakes bite and protects from the malaria if the pulp of its bark, root or fruit is applied to the affected area.
Cures Acidity and Mouth Ulcer
- It has cooling effect on the body and provides relief from the acidity and mouth ulcer.
Provides Cooling Effect during Summer
- Eating the mixture of honey and bael pulp provides relief from the thirst problem during summer season as well as gas problem.
Maintains Blood Glucose Level
- It has hypoglycaemic effect on the body and reduces the level of blood glucose by enhancing the glucose utilization and stimulating insulin hormone.
Prevents from Liver Disorders
- Its hepato-protective nature enhances the liver injuries healing, prevents from the liver cirrhosis and liver infection.
Reduces Side Effects of Radiotherapy
- Wood apple has radio-protective property which helps in lowering down the side effects of radiotherapy.
Benefits of Bael Leaves
Manages Blood Cholesterol Level
- Bael leaf extract has therapeutic effects on the body which helps in managing the cholesterol level in the blood.
- It helps in curing constipation and stomach pain if bael leaves juice is taken with sugar.
Relieves Joint Pain and Swelling
- It provides relief from the joints pain and swelling if the paste of bael leaves is applied to the affected areas.
Provides Relief from Food Allergies
- It provides relief from the symptoms of food allergies and skin itching if the mixture of bael leaves, ajwain seeds and salt is eaten.
Maintains Blood Pressure
- Bael leaves contains phytonutrients which has ability to maintain the blood pressure under control.
Regulates Thyroid Hormone Secretion
- Wood apple helps in regulating the thyroid hormone secretion thus regulates metabolism and prevents from hyperthyroidism.
- Taking the mixture of bael leaf extract, black pepper and honey helps in curing jaundice.
Cures Other Problems
- It also helps in curing other problems like acidity, epilepsy, typhoid, malaria, indigestion, leprosy, myalgia and etc.
- Applying fresh bael leaves paste on the forehead provides instant relief from the headache.
Benefits of Bael Juice
Protects from Heart Diseases
- Adding bael juice with desi ghee to the regular diet plan helps in protecting from the heart diseases like stroke heart attack and etc.
Destroys Harmful Intestinal Worms
- It involves in destroying the harmful intestinal worms thus maintains good digestion.
Natural Blood Cleanser
- Bael juice with little warm water and sugar acts as a blood cleanser and involves in the blood purification process by removing all the toxins.
Regularizes Liver and Kidney Functioning
- It helps in managing the functions of various major body organs like liver and kidneys thus prevents from various disorders.
Enhances Immune Power
- Vitamin C found in it acts as an antioxidant which enhances immune power in the body and protects from the early ageing.
Prevents from Chronic Respiratory Problems
- Wood apple acts as an expectorant thus provides relief from chronic respiratory problems like sore throat, bronchitis, influenza, asthma and etc.
Benefits of Bael Powder
Treats Chronic Diarrhoea
- Bael powder is prepared from the bael fruit pulp (after drying) which is very effective home remedy to treat chronic diarrhoea problem.
Treats various Disorders
- Raw bael fruit extract helps to treat piles, anaemia, eye problems, ear disorders and vitiligo problem.
Treats Bone Fracture
- Applying the mixture of raw bael powder, ghee and turmeric to the fractured bones helps in treating the bone fracture.
Prevents from Infection
- Its antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties help in getting prevented from the related infections.
Treats Skin Problems
- Applying the mixture of bael fruit powder, dates and honey on the face for 15-20 mins tones up the skin and makes it free from the acne and wrinkles.
Benefits of Bael Murabba
- Bael murabba is very beneficial for the health and can be eaten in any season. It helps in curing dysentery, diarrhea, acidity and other digestive problems. Prepare it safely and store at safe place to preserve it for months to be nourished with its health benefits. Make the slices of bael fruit and remove seeds. Make thick sugar syrup and add bael slices with pinch of salt and cardamom powder. Cook for some time and let it mix well. It can be refrigerated in the bottle after proper cooling.
Benefits of Bael Root
Best Natural Medicine
- Bael root has an astringent property which is used for medicinal purposes to treat the conditions like fever, dyspepsia, weakness, diarrhoea, dysentery, stomatitis, swellings, gastric irritation and etc.
- Applying the paste of dried bael roots (with water) on the forehead helps in relieving pain during severe headache.
Religious Benefits of Sacred Bael Fruit
- Bael and bael leaves are sacred used for ritual purposes in the people of Hindu religion. It is considered that offering bael or its leaves to the God Shiva during worship makes God happy and fulfils all the good wishes. Bael leaves are symbol of trident hold by the Lord Shiva in right hand. Devotees of the Lord Shiva offer bael patra to make Him happy and get blessings.
Nutritional Benefits of Bael/Wood Apple per 100 g
Energy: 137 kcal
Fibres: 2.9 g
Water: 61.5 g
Carbohydrate: 31.8 g
Fat: 0.3 g
Protein: 1.8 g
Tartaric acid: 2.11 mg
Thiamine: 0.13 mg
Riboflavin: 1.19 mg
Niacin: 1.1 mg
Vitamin A: 55 mg
Vitamin C: 60 mg
Carotene: 55 mg
Calcium: 85 mg
Phosphorous: 110 mg
Iron: 480 mg
Manganese: 0.18 mg
Zinc: 0.10 mg
Magnesium: 41 mg
Chromium: 0.21 mg
Potassium: 600 mg
How to Select and Store
Fully ripe bael is available in the market during summer season which is commonly used by the people to have cooling effect in the hot summer. It should be bought from the market fresh and use. Always select well ripe, hard shelled, yellowish, heavy weight, fresh, intact and bright colored bael. Avoid buying so much fresh and dried, green, low weight, bruised skin, wrinkled and soft shelled bael as that may be unripe (especially if you are buying to make the juice and sharbat).
However, both ripe and unripe bael can be used to make bael murabba and jam. Well ripe bael can be stored for one to two week long at room temperature at safe, clean, cool, dry and dark place. Jam and murabba can be stored and used on daily basis for months very safely however, it is best to prepare and use sharbat fresh.
How to Enjoy
It can be enjoyed in the number of ways such as sharbat, milkshake, mix juice, jam, murabba, pulp and etc. The pulp of ripe bael can be eaten by mixing properly with some sugar. Sharbat is prepared by mixing bael pulp without seeds, water and jaggery or sugar. Bael milkshake is prepared by mixing pulp properly with soy or nut milk and sweetener. Sweet or salty bael chutney can also be enjoyed.
Precautions, Side Effects and Disadvantages
In spite of having lots of nutritional health benefits and medicinal benefits, eating bael need some precautions as it may cause some side effects and disadvantages. Some of are mentioned below:
- Eating bael pulp or drinking bael juice more than the requirement may lead to the stomach pain, bloating, flatulence, stomach upset, constipation and other digestive disorders.
- Generally it should be avoided by the pregnant women and lactating mother as it may cause harmful health effects.
- It should be avoided by the people suffering from the gastric troubles.
- It may cause allergy to some people which should be taken care of.
- It should not be eaten continuously on daily basis without any break as it may disturb the intestinal peristaltic movements.
- Beal leaves contain tannins which have carcinogenic effects on longer use and may lead to abortion in pregnant women.
- It may lower the blood sugar level to a great extent if eaten in high amount by the person on hypoglycaemic medications.
- It should be avoided by the person suffering from the thyroid disorders.
How Many Bael to Eat a Day
Eating the correct amount of bael on daily basis depends on various factors like age, sex, weight and health status of the person. Everything in this world, whether it is natural or artificial, has limitation thus it should be eaten within limit according to the body requirement to avoid it’s side effects and disadvantages as well as get it’s all the health benefits. There is no any accurate dose for all, it varies from person to person thus should be consulted by the physician before applying it in the daily life to treat some health disorders.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices