Sugarcane (Ganna), belongs to the grass family (Poaceae), is a most beneficial crop which is found in India in sufficient amount everywhere. It is available at very cheap price for everyone so anyone can be part of its beneficial aspects. It depends on a person that how he like to have sugarcane. Sugarcane can be chewed using the teeth or drank its juice which is found by crushing the peeled sugarcane in the machine. Generally its juice with lemon, mint, ginger and black salt flavor is liked by the people.
It was first originated in the New Guinea which was then distributed to all over the world. Commercially, it is grown in many countries including South Asia, Southeast Asia, Brazil, Latin America and etc. Sugarcane juice is one of the most widely drinking juice in India, generally in the Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
People generally buy the sugarcane juice from the street vendors. At some places it is also found at the food courts. Sugarcane juice has the combinations of sugars like the glucose, sucrose and fructose. Sugarcane juice is also famous by the name like oosacha ras or ganne ka ras in the Maharashtra.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice/Ganne Ka Ras
Sugarcane juice has variety of nutrients which aids in the better health. Here I am mentioning some of its beneficial aspects:
Remedy for Sore Throat
- Sugarcane Juice is considered as the best home remedy for the person having sore throat, flu or freezing.
Increases Muscle Power
- Ganna ras provides natural glucose to the body necessary for maintaining the muscle power.
- It removes weakness from the body by rehydrating the body thus known as the instant body booster and used by the athletes.
Prevents from Protein Loss
- It is useful for the person suffering from the fever and maintains the protein loss in the body.
- Sugarcane Juice is very helpful for the person suffering from the jaundice and provides instant recovery from jaundice by maintaining the glucose level in the body.
Regulates Digestive System Functioning
- It is a very good energy drink for the well being of the digestive system.
- It also provides help in treating the constipation due to its high potassium level.
Promotes Wound Healing
- It has a type of sugar called as the sucrose which is a natural resource helps in wound healing as well as boosting the immune system.
Strengthens Major Body Organs
- It assists to a great level in strengthening the major organs such as the eyes, stomach, heart, kidneys, mind, sex organs and etc if used regularly.
Prevents from Heart Diseases
- It also prevents from the heart diseases and strokes as it decreases the bad body cholesterol level and triglycerides.
Contains All Essential Nutrients
- Sugarcane juice has all the required vitamins and minerals having precious health benefits for the person suffering various diseases.
Treats various Diseases
- Sugarcane juice helps in treating the dysuria (burning sensation while passing urine), prostatitis, kidney stones, STD (sexually transmitted disease), urinary tract infections and etc if taken with lime juice or coconut water.
- Ganna ras also assists in other problems like high acidity, cystitis, enlarged prostate, gonorrhea, nephritis and etc.
Prevents from Cancer
- Sugarcane juice is alkaline in nature thus helps in fighting from the various type of cancer like prostate and breast cancer.
Promotes Bone Growth
- Sugarcane juice is helpful in the growth and development of the bones because of its calcium and phosphorous contents.
Prevents from Anemia
- Ganna ras is very useful to the person suffering from the anemia as it has good amount of the iron which enhances the Hb level in the body.
Rich Source of Antioxidants
- Sugarcane juice has an antioxidant property because of its flavonoid and phenolic compounds availability which works as an anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-allergic, anti-tumor agents and prevents body from various diseases accordingly.
Prevents from DNA Damage
- Its antioxidants property protects us from the radiation induced DNA damage as well as from the oxidative degradation of the cellular lipids or fats. It also fights with the free radicals and prevents ageing.
Rich Source of Live Enzymes
- Freshly prepared juice of the sugarcane has different live enzymes as well as nutrients which gets absorbed by the body and nourishes the body.
Treats Kidney Disorders
- Drinking fresh ganna ras in enough amount helps in treating kidney disorders and other urinary problems.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Liver/in Jaundice
Sugarcane juice is very beneficial for the major organ of the body called liver as it helps in treating the jaundice which is a liver function disorder. Jaundice causes yellow pigmentation of the skin and skin membranes because of the increased level of bile pigment called bilirubin. Bile pigment level increases due to poor liver functions or obstructed bile ducts. During jaundice, it has become very necessary to bring bilirubin level up to the normal as well as normalize the liver functioning which requires lots of medicine and home remedies.
To get fast recovery from the jaundice and liver functioning disorders, sugarcane juice acts as a best home remedy for such ailments. Some of the benefits are mentioned below:
- It acts as natural high energetic drink having refined sugar of low glycemic index which helps in strengthening the liver.
- Ganne ka ras is alkaline in nature which helps in maintaining the acid-base balance and treating acidity.
Maintains Protein in Body
- It fulfills the requirement of protein which was lost during the jaundice fever.
provides Fast Recovery
- Ganna ras provides faster recover from the jaundice if taken a glass of sugarcane juice 2-3 times a day.
Boosts Immune System
- Ganna juice has lots of antioxidants which makes body immune system stronger to fight against liver infections as well as normalizes the bilirubin level.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Weight Loss
- As sugarcane juice reduces the bad cholesterol level in the body and has natural sugar thus helps in reducing the weight.
- Its high soluble fibers content aids a lot in the weight management strategy.
Removes Body Toxins
- Sugarcane juice cleanses our body, improves the metabolism and detoxifies our body by eliminating all the toxins from the body which aids a lot in the gradual weight loss process.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Diabetes
Maintains Sugar Level
- Ganne ka ras is a natural sweetener which does not require other sugar to make it sweet thus beneficial for the diabetic person which does not involves in the disturbing the sugar levels.
Has Low Glycemic Index
- Sugarcane juice is very beneficial for the for diabetic patients as it has very low glycemic index.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice During Pregnancy
Increases Hb Level and Prevents Baby from Birth Defects
- Because of its iron and folates contents it is very beneficial for the pregnant women. It enhances the Hb level in the pregnant women as well as prevents the unborn baby from variety of birth defects.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Skin
Prevents from Ageing
- Sugarcane juice has antioxidant property as it has flavonoids and phenolic compounds which makes the skin healthy, shiny, soft, supple, fair as well as prevents from early ageing and wrinkles.
Moisturizes the Skin
- Ganna ras rehydrate and moisturize the body thus makes the skin soft and bright.
Nutritional Benefits of Sugarcane Juice per 1 oz (28.35 g)
(Source: USDA Nutrient database)
Protein: 0.20 g
Water: 0.19 g
Ash: 0.66 g
Fat: 0.09 g
Total Calories: 111. 43
Total Carbohydrates: 27.40 g
Sugar: 25.71 g
Riboflavin: 0.16 mg
Niacin: 0.20 mg
Pantothenic Acid: 0.09 mg
Iron: 0.57 mg
Magnesium: 2.49 mg
Calcium: 32.57 mg
Phosphorus: 0.01 mg
Potassium: 162.86 mg
Manganese: 0.09 mg
Copper: 0.09 mg
Disadvantages of Sugarcane Juice
- As sugarcane juice has a lot of health benefits, it also has various health risks because of its unhygienic conditions it is prepared in. Sugarcane juice is considered as a best culture medium for the various microorganisms. That’s why it is recommended that drink only fresh juice or the one kept in the freeze. Never drink already made juice or the juice kept outside the freeze.
- The person may be infected with the Chagas disease if he drinks sugarcane juice from the roadside stalls. Drinking sugarcane juice from such places may also be contaminated with the feces of insect vector which may lead to the serious health hazards.
- Mostly the engines used to crush the sugarcane are used a lot of oil to get moved easily. These oils have harmful effects on the health.
How much Sugarcane Juice should you Drink a Day
Having sugarcane juice on daily basis depends on the individual need and health of the body. A person suffering from jaundice can take more than one glass a day of sugarcane juice (according to the doctor advice) but in limit as it may cause some infections. However one to two cup of sugarcane juice is enough for a normal and healthy person.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices