Pomegranate or Anar (Punica granatum) is an attractive fruit having lots of health benefits. It is a big gift on the earth from the God to the human beings. Pomegranate is a super seedy fruit having brilliant red seeds considered as the wonderful fruit in the world. It is also known as the seeded apple extensively used for its health benefits and medicinal values.
Pomegranates were originated in the surrounding area of the Iran in the ancient time. Now, it has been started cultivating all through the Mediterranean areas of the Middle East, southern Europe, northern and tropical Africa, Indian regions, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, parts of California and Arizona and etc. It is sufficiently available in the winter season from September to February and in the summer season from March to May.
Pomegranate plant is tolerant to the entire climate which can be easily grown in the dry areas or in the winter rainfall weather or in the summer rainfall weather. Pomegranate is famous by various names according to the regions such as Sanskrit darima, Persian anar, anaar, Turkish nar, Bengali dalim, Hindi anar, Tamil madulai, Urdu anar, Punjabi anar, dadima, bedana, Romanian rodie and etc.
Benefits of Pomegranate/Anar
Helps in Cells Regeneration
- Pomegranates are the immense source of the punicic acid, ellagic acid, antioxidant, omega 5 (polyunsaturated fatty acid) which helps in the cell regeneration and proliferation.
Treats Digestive Problems
- Pomegranates are used in various medicinal purposes to treat the ailments such as ulcers and diarrhea.
Lowers Bad Cholesterol
- Eating pomegranate regularly lowers the bad cholesterol level and increases the good cholesterol level in the blood.
Strengthens Body Immune System
- It has both the anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties thus make the body immune system very healthy.
Prevents from Anemia
- It prevents from the anaemia as it contains sufficient amount of iron which helps in increasing hemoglobin level.
- It induces hunger and manages thirst as well as acts as a good tonic for the stomach, liver and heart.
Prevents from UTI
- It helps in curing the urinary tract infection.
- It has both soluble and insoluble dietary fibres which improves the digestion as well as normalize the bowel movement.
Prevents from Cartilage Damage
- It prevents from the cartilage damage and helps in the cartilage regeneration as it acts as an enzyme (which induces cartilage damage) inhibitor.
Provides Relief from Bone Inflammation
- It is very helpful in relieving from the osteoarthritis, arthritis and bone inflammation.
Acts as Tonic for Heart
- Punicalagins, a compound only available in the pomegranates has its beneficial effects on the heart and blood vessels. It lowers the bad cholesterol and blood pressure and prevents from the atherosclerosis.
Prevents from Plaque formation in Arteries
- An ounce of pomegranate juice every day provides relief from the carotid artery blockage and reduces the formation of atherosclerotic plaque.
Prevents from Diabetes and Cancer
- Regular utilization of the pomegranate is very effective adjacent to the diabetes, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), lymphoma and etc.
Improves Memory Power
- It is very useful fruit which increases memory power and delays the dementia.
Increases Libido in Male
- It helps in increasing the libido in male thus enhances the fertility.
Benefits of Pomegranate Juice
Rich Source of Vitamins
- Drinking a glass of pomegranate juice fulfils around 40 % of the total vitamins A, C, E and folic acid requirement of the body per day.
- Anar juice is the rich source of the vitamins (A ,C, E, B group vitamins like thiamine, niacin, folic acid and riboflavin), minerals (calcium, potassium, phosphorous) and iron which promotes the health.
Rich Source of Antioxidants
- Pomegranate juice has antioxidants (anthocyanins, ellagic acid, gallic acids) and flavonoids (quercetin) which helps in protecting from the various chronic diseases including heart diseases, diabetes, osteoarthritis, cancer and etc.
Beneficial for Heart
- It is very beneficial for the heart as it makes the arteries elastic, reduces atherosclerosis and lessens the blood vessel inflammation thus protects the heart from various heart chronic diseases.
- Pomegranate juice reduces the risk of arteries blockage and acts as an anti-atherogenic for the heart.
- Pomegranate juice also reduces the high blood pressure.
Maintains Blood Sugar Level
- Pomegranate juice has natural sugar called fructose which helps in maintaining the blood sugar level.
Prevents from Cancer
- Regular intake of the pomegranate juice prevents from the cancer (prostate and breast cancer) by eliminating the free radicals from body. Pomegranates are the great sources of the anti oxidants which have property to stimulate WBC in order to neutralize body toxins.
- Pomegranate juice is a great home remedy to treat diarrhoea and dysentery as well as improves the digestion.
- Taking a glass of pomegranate juice with a tsf honey can cure all the indigestion problems, weakness and fatigue as well as energize the body.
Provides Relief from Nose Bleeding
- Introduction of mixture of sugar and pomegranate juice (1 to 2 drops) in the nostrils provides quick relief from the nose bleeding.
Prevents from Alzheimer
- Regular intake of it helps in controlling the occurrence of neurological problems including Alzheimer disease.
Dissolves Kidney Stones
- It is best known for dissolving the kidney stones.
Cures Vomiting Problem
- Drinking luke warm pomegranate juice with little sugar helps in curing vomiting problem.
Benefits of Pomegranate Juice for Hair
Makes Hair Healthy
- Having pomegranate juice on regular basis strengthens and nourishes the hair follicles and prevents from hair fall.
- It makes the hair more healthy and lustrous.
Helps in Weight Loss
- As it has no calories, no saturated fats and no cholesterol thus aid a lot in the weight management.
Acts as a Tonic for Men
- Regular intake of the pomegranate juice by the men helps in curing the erectile dysfunctions, weakness, fatigue and etc problems among men.
Benefits of Pomegranate in Pregnancy
Source of all Crucial Elements for Pregnant Women
- Anar has a lot of beneficial effects for the pregnant women as it has all the crucial elements required in the pre-natal diet such as vitamins, minerals, folic acid and etc.
Improves Foetal Development
- Its anti-inflammatory property helps in the healthy blood flow and foetus development.
Prevents from Leg Cramps
- Its potassium content prevents from the leg cramps during pregnancy.
Reduces Risk of Birth Defects in Babies
- Regular consumption of it by the expectant mothers lowers the risk of birth defects in the babies and premature child birth including low birth weight.
Benefits of Pomegranate for Skin
Keeps Skin Healthy
- Eating pomegranate or drinking its juice on regular basis makes the skin healthy, vibrant and youthful.
- It maintains the skin cells regeneration (epidermis and dermis) as well as prevents from the hyper pigmentation and dark spots on the skin.
- It slows down the ageing process by preventing from the wrinkles and fine lines on the skin.
Effective for Dry Skin
- It is a wonderful remedy for the dry skin. It moisturizes and hydrates the skin thus soothes the dehydrated and irritated skin.
Keeps Skin Hydrated
- Its punicic acid content (omega 3 fatty acid) makes the skin hydrated on regular basis.
Keeps Away from Pimples
- It is also beneficial for the oily and pimple vulnerable skin. Applying pomegranate juice on the skin keeps it free from the pimples and oil by controlling the sebum production.
Improves Wound Healing
- It helps in the wounds healing process.
Benefits of Pomegranate Seeds Oil
Prevents Skin from Sun Burn
- Oil of the pomegranate seeds has various skin friendly nutrients which enhances the epidermis regeneration process and protects the skin from sun burn.
Prevents from Wrinkles and Fine Lines
- It improves the skin texture by extending the life of fibroblasts and enhancing the collagen and elastin production which tightens the skin and prevents from the occurrence of fine lines and wrinkles.
Makes Skin Fair
- Anar seed oil also lightens the skin tone and makes it brighter and fair than ever before.
Benefits of Pomegranate Leaves
Makes Teeth Strong and Cures Gum Problems
- Brushing teeth with the anar leaves powder (dried in shadow) makes teeth strong and cures bleeding gums, gums swelling and etc.
Benefits of Pomegranate Skin
Provides Glow to Skin
- Pomegranate peels have the highest amount of the antioxidants thus it nourishes the skin and makes it glowing and fair.
Provides Relief from Stress
- Applying the paste of it on head helps in treating headache, half headache and other stress related problems.
Beauty Benefits of Pomegranate
Face Mask for Youthful Skin
- Applying pomegranate face mask (2 tsf pomegranate juice with 1 tsf of grape seed oil and powdered green papaya) on the face makes the skin more glowing.
As a Face Cleanser
- Pomegranate juice is directly used on the face as a face cleanser.
Remedy for Skin Cancer
- It prevents from the skin cancer as it has hydrolysable tannins and anthocyanins which work as an antioxidant and antitumor agent.
- It also has an ellagic acid (polyphenol antioxidant) which inhibits the skin cancer growth.
Precautions while Eating Pomegranate
- It should be avoided by the person having problems of constipation, influenza, cough or with phlegmatic condition.
- It has property to lower the blood pressure thus avoid taking it with the medications to lower the blood pressure as it may lead to the hypotension.
- Some people are vulnerable to the allergy or asthma to some fruits. Common symptoms of the allergic reactions are vomiting, redness or itching of the eyes, difficulty in breathing and etc.
- Anar may interfere with some other medicines such as statins (to lower the cholesterol level), antidepressants, AIDS medicines or tranquillizers.
Real Facts about Pomegranate
- It is considered as the most influential antioxidant fruit among all fruits.
- Anar has powerful anticancer and immune booster property.
- It always hinders the unusual platelet aggregation thus prevents from embolic disease, heart attack and strokes.
- It has ability to prevent from the depression and osteoporosis.
- It is good to maintain the cardiovascular, nervous and skeletal system health.
- It is a divine fruit which inhibits the viral and bacterial infections.
Nutritional Benefits of Pomegranate/Anar per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 83 Kcal
Carbohydrates: 18.70 g
Protein: 1.67 g
Fat: 1.17 g
Dietary Fibre: 4 g
Thiamine: 0.067 mg
Riboflavin: 0.053 mg
Niacin: 0.293 mg
Pantothenic acid: 0.135 mg
Pyridoxine: 0.075 mg
Folates: 38 µg
Vitamin C: 10.2 mg
Vitamin E: 0.60 mg
Vitamin K: 16.4 µg
Sodium: 3 mg
Potassium: 236 mg
Calcium: 10 mg
Magnesium: 12 mg
Manganese: 0.119 mg
Copper: 0.158 mg
Iron: 0.30 mg
Phosphorus: 36 mg
Selenium: 0.5 µg
Zinc: 0.35 mg
Selection and Storage of Pomegranate
Always select pomegranates with smooth skin without any damage, cuts or mold. It can be easily stored at home for 5-8 days at room temperature in the cool dark place. It can also be placed in the refrigerator for longer time (two or more weeks). Always buy fresh pomegranates which are generally available from September to the January.
Rinse it under tepid water to bring it to the normal temperature if it is kept inside refrigerator. It can be eaten with its seeds or drank its juice. Its seeds can be added to the fruit salads, soups, jellies, sauces, cakes or baked apples.
How to Enjoy Pomegranate
It can be enjoyed in many ways such as anar juice, anar dana, mixed fruit cream, fruit salad, adding to the icecream, custard, curd, pasta, kheer and other dishes to which it can be enjoyed.
Disadvantages of Pomegranate
- Pomegranate juice inhibits some enzymes which are related to the drugs metabolism. So, it is good to assist with doctor when taking some medicines.
- It causes allergic reactions to some people such as itching, rashes, swelling and etc.
- Over consumption of it may cause gastrointestinal problems including stomach pain, indigestion, discomfort, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Staining is the major problem while handling pomegranates.
How Many Pomegranate Should I Eat A Day
It is not easy to say that how many pomegranates are overdose however it is eaten under limit. It is a very tasty fruit which has powerful antioxidant property thus beneficial for maintaining health to a great level and preventing from serious problems.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices