Pineapple or ananas is very nutritious and delicious fruit having rich amount of vitamins and minerals. It is very juicy fruit having vibrant and sweet flavor. It is considered as the favorite tropical fruit of the America. It is a seasonal fruit grown in the tropical regions and commonly found in the month of March to June in the local markets.
Pineapple is a complex fruit made up of many flowers by fusing together to the central core. It is generally found in various colors like scaly green, brown, red brown or yellow. It belongs to the Bromeliaceae family which takes around 20–24 months in flowering and 6 months in fruiting. It was originated in the Southern Brazil and Paraguay which then spread throughout the South America, Central America, Caribbean and Mexico. It was called as the “pine of the Indians” and brought to the Europe by the Columbus in 1493.
Benefits of Pineapple/Ananas
Pineapple is very delicious and juicy fruit loved by almost everyone because of its taste and variety of health benefits. Some of the nutritional health benefits of the pineapple are mentioned below:
Loaded with Vitamins and Minerals
- Pineapple is loaded with variety of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, B, C, E, K, potassium, phosphorous, iron, calcium and etc.
Fights with Free Radicals
- It has anti-oxidant property which helps in fighting with free radicals and prevents from various diseases including heart diseases, atherosclerosis, arthritis, cancers and etc.
Prevents from Infections
- Its richness in the vitamin C and bromelain helps to fight against the diseases and infections caused by the viruses like severe cold, cough and etc.
- High minerals availability of the pineapples strengthens the bones and connective tissues.
Keeps Gums and Teeth Healthy
- Regular intake of the pineapples provides healthy gums and teeth.
Keeps Eye Healthy
- Ananas prevents from the age related macular degeneration and maintains the eye vision for long time. It nourishes the retina and prevents from getting damaged.
- Its beta carotene availability also helps in keeping the eye sight maintained if consumed on regular basis.
- It has anti-inflammatory property which prevents from various types of the inflammations caused due to the diseases like arthritis and bronchitis.
Source of Bromelain
- It has bromelain which helps in preventing from the sinusitis, gout, carpal tunnel syndrome, sore throat, swellings and various other problems.
Prevents from Cancers
- Its anti-oxidant quality prevents the body cells from getting damaged by fighting with free radicals and tumour causing agent. Thus, it is very healthy fruit which helps in preventing from the cancers.
Lowers Bad Cholesterol
- It prevents the occurrence of atherosclerosis by fighting with free radicals thus lowers the bad cholesterol level, keeps the heart healthy and prevents from heart diseases.
Boosts Immune System
- Its vitamin C availability boosts the immune system thus keeps the body healthy in all season by keeping all the diseases away.
Improves Protein Digestion
- Bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme found in it neutralizes the fluids and regulates the pancreatic secretions to assist in the digestion. This enzyme has ability to digest protein thus keeps the digestive track healthy by enhancing the protein digestion.
Contains High Level of Vitamin C
- Drinking a glass of juice on regular basis helps in preventing from the mucous accumulation in the throat as it oozes out the mucous through cough and clears out the lungs passageway due to the high level of vitamin C availability.
Prevents Blood Clot Formation
- Regular consumption of the pineapple juice prevents from the blood clots formation because of its anti-coagulant property.
Keeps Oral Cavity Healthy
- Ananas keeps the oral cavity healthy by preventing any bacterial growth and plaque formation in the buccal mucosa.
Contains Proteolytic Enzyme
- The proteolytic enzyme found in its core and stem has anti-clotting, anti-inflammatory and natural detox property.
Assists in Collagen Synthesis
- Its high level vitamin C availability assists in the collagen synthesis which encourages the health of skin, bones, organs and blood vessels.
Boosts Energy Level
- Its manganese content boosts the overall energy level of the body and protects from the free radicals as it utilizes the biotin and thiamine in order to synthesize the fatty acids.
Maintains Body Electrolytes Balance
- High level potassium in the pineapple juice maintains the body electrolytes balance thus enhances the kidney function. It also prevents from the muscle soreness and muscle cramps.
Rich Source of Potassium
- Ananas controls the blood pressure and heart rate because of the high level of potassium availability.
Good Source of Vitamin A
- Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene availability in the pineapple helps in eliminating the free radicals, boosting the body immune system and improving the eye function.
Benefits of Pineapple Juice
Good Digestive Agent
- This is the fact about pineapple that pineapples juice is a good digestive agent because of its bromelain enzyme which aids a lot in the digestion.
Relieves Digestive Disorders
- Its vitamin C and high fibers availability also assists in the digestion and provides relief from any digestive disorders.
Prevents from Catarrh
- It prevents from the Catarrh, a problem belongs to the mucous membrane secretions, if taken on regular basis.
Controls High Blood Pressure
- Ananas controls the high blood pressure to the normal level by reducing the blood cholesterol level.
Benefits of Pineapple for Kids
Prevents from Intestinal Worms
- Generally, kids are prone to the intestinal worms which may lead to any serious health problems. Eating pineapples on regular basis prevents them from the stomach worms thus keeps the digestive system healthy and strong.
Benefits of Pineapple for Pregnant Women
Relieves Morning Sickness
- Eating a bowl of pineapple on empty stomach prevents from the symptoms of nausea and provides relief from the morning sickness.
- It induces labour by increasing the uterine contractions and softening the cervix.
Benefits of Pineapple for Weight Loss
Prevents from Extra Weight Gain
- Pineapple is a tropical fruit naturally packed with the vitamins, minerals, low fat, calories and cholesterol, high fibers content which promotes good health and prevents from the extra weight gain if taken regularly.
Benefits of Pineapple Juice for Skin
Prevents Early Ageing
- It is an excellent source of vitamin C which is mostly required by the body for the collagen synthesis (main structural protein) to maintain the integrity of skin. It also prevents from the free radicals thus helps in maintaining the youthfulness by preventing from the early ageing process.
Provides Glow and Fairness to Skin
- Ananas is a vitamins rich fruit which provides glow and fairness to the skin.
Quickens Wound Healing
- Pineapple juice is very helpful for the acne treatment and quickens the wound healing process.
Benefits of Pineapple in Diabetes
Maintains Blood Sugar Level
- Pineapple juice helps in maintaining the blood sugar level as it converts the extra blood sugar into the useful energy.
Controls Blood Sugar
- Making small balls by mixing its juice with triphla powder, til, jamun seeds powder and gokharu and eating two times a day helps in controlling blood sugar level.
Benefits of Pineapple for Women
Relieves Menstrual Disorders
- It provides relief from the menstrual disorders among women as it contains the bromelain enzyme.
Cures Menstrual Disorders
- Taking raw pineapple juice with peepal chhal powder and gur regularly helps in curing menstrual disorders.
Benefits of Pineapple for Men
Rich Source of Vitamins, Antioxidants and Enzymes
- Pineapple is considered as the anti-inflammation cocktail because of its natural capacity to have vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes at one place.
- It has fatty acids and polyphenols which help in reducing the inflammation of cells and joints.
- It controls the thyroid glands functioning thus helpful in treating the hyperthyroidism by keeping the fatigue and tiredness away.
Prevents from Cardiac Diseases
- It helps in preventing from the cardiac diseases and other lethal diseases like cancer.
Enhances Sexual Capacity
- Ananas enhances the sexual capacity in men by improving the semen quality.
Benefits of Pineapple on Face or Beauty Benefits
Treats Skin Dullness and Dryness
- Applying the crushed Ananas mask on the face helps to remove the dead skin cells as well as provide relieve to the skin dullness and dryness.
- Its vitamin C availability helps to protect from the ageing effects and wrinkles because of the sunlight.
Makes Skin Youthful
- Pineapple is a very good natural exfoliant for the skin which makes the skin youthful and clear of any blemishes or pimples.
Makes Skin Fresh and Wrinkles Free
- Applying the pineapple mask on the face by mixing with the olive oil or honey makes the skin looks fresh and wrinkles free.
Benefits of Pineapple Murabba
Reduces Stress Level
- Eating pineapple murabba regularly helps in keeping mood fresh and happy by reducing the stress level.
Nutritional Benefits of Pineapple/Ananas per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 50 kcal
Carbohydrate: 13.12 g
Sugar: 9.85 g
Dietary fiber: 1.4 g
Fat: 0.12 g
Protein: 0.54 g
Thiamine: 0.079 mg
Riboflavin: 0.032 mg
Niacin: 0.5 mg
Pantothenic acid: 0.213 mg
Vitamin B6: 0.112 mg
Folate: 18 μg
Choline: 5.5 mg
Vitamin C: 47.8 mg
Vitamin A: 58 IU
Vitamin E: 0.02 mg
Vitamin K: 0.07 µg
Potassium: 109 mg
Sodium: 1 mg
Calcium: 13 mg
Iron: 0.29 mg
Magnesium: 12 mg
Manganese: 0.927 mg
Phosphorus: 8 mg
Zinc: 0.12 mg
Copper: 0.110 mg
Selenium: 0.1 µg
Carotene-ß: 35 µg
Selection and Storage of Pineapple/Ananas
Fresh pineapples can be found in the market in the summer season especially in the month of March to June. You can buy it by choosing the heavy one whether it is large or small. Do not buy pineapples having mold, spots, bruised skin or darkened eyes. It should smell sweet at the stem side. The freshness of the fruit can be checked by tapping fingers on it which gives dull sound if it is solid and ripens properly otherwise hollow sounding if immature.
Storing pineapples in the refrigerator for long time should be avoided as it is very sensitive to the cold. It can be stored for only 1 or 2 days in the cold storage before using. However, it is better to consume it very soon after the purchase.
How to Enjoy Pineapple/Ananas
It can be enjoyed eating directly as a snack in between the meal or drinking its juice in the morning after breakfast. It can also be taken as salads, jellies, desserts or jams for more flavors.
Disadvantages, Side Effects and Precautions of pineapple
- It is not so good for the diabetic patients or weight conscious people as sweet pineapple contains high fructose content.
- Generally, it causes irritation to the mucous membranes in mouth which may cause ulcerations or canker sores on the tongue.
- It is a fruit of high glycemic index (66) which may enhance the insulin level and lead to the Type 2 diabetes.
- It is a bromelain rich fruit which may cause the lips sore and swollen when eaten in high amount.
- It is allergic to some people and causes swollen tongue, hives, rashes, breathing problems and other side effects.
- Eating pineapples in high amount may cause bleeding disorders as bromelain acts as a mild blood thinner. It should be avoided by the people with hemophilia.
How Much Pineapple to Eat a Day
Eating pineapple too much is harmful to the health, so it should be eaten within limit. Eating a cup of sliced pineapple or drinking a cup of its juice twice or thrice a week is ok.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices