About Papaya Fruit
Papaya fruit is a most beneficial and delicious sweet fruit available all over the year sufficiently. Papaya is also known as pawpaw and famous for its digestive, nutritional and medicinal benefits. It is loved by all the people to eat generally after the breakfast, lunch or dinner in small amount as a natural dessert. It is pear shape of around 7 inches long and 1 pound in weight. Its juicy flesh pulp is the edible part. It can be easily cultivated in any type of clay and areas.
It is included with the lot of benefits for the different organs of the body such as benefits for skin, benefits for hair and etc. Papaya has an enzyme known as Papain (proteolytic enzyme) which is very helpful in the digestion of proteins. Papaya is also the rich source of the antioxidant nutrients like carotenes, vitamin C, flavonoids, B group vitamins, pantothenic acid, folate, minerals like potassium, magnesium and fiber. The pulp of the papaya is used as beauty materials like facial cream and shampoo.
Its original location is Central America which was distributed to other areas of the world like Philippines, Africa, India during the journey by Spainish and Portugal. The papaya has been said as “The Fruit of the Angels” by the great person Christopher Columbus.
Benefits of Papaya Fruit
Papaya fruit is a delicious gift from the God having great taste and mouthwatering flavor including lots of amazing health benefits. It is the most popular fruit found everywhere all over the world and highly used by the people because of its health as well as medicinal properties. As tree of papaya was worshiped by the Mayans, it has been titled as “Tree of Life”. And it has also been the most favorite fruit of Christopher Columbus. It is a fruit used for many purposes especially by the women. Some of its health nourishing beneficial effects is mentioned below:
Benefits of Papaya for Skin
Makes Skin Healthy
Papaya is packed with the healthy components which provide the glowing and healthy skin.
Removes Dead Skin Cells
- Papaya is a rich source of the Vitamin A as well as the Papain which has the property of removing the dead cells from skin and breaking down the inactive proteins.
Keeps Skin Hydrated
- Papaya has a low sodium quality feature which makes the skin hydrated through the little water retention.
Reduces Skin Inflammation
- Because of the presence of papain and chymopapain, papaya helps in reducing and healing the inflammation from burn areas.
Prevents from Free Radicals
- Its antioxidant nature prevents skin from the harmful effects of free radicals and other environmental factors.
Beauty Benefits of Papaya
Removes Spots from Skin
- Applying the paste of raw papaya for 25 min on the face reduces the pimples and removes the blemishes from the skin.
Makes Skin Shiny and Soft
- Regular use of papaya whether it is applied on the skin or eaten offers long lasting effect and makes the skin shiny, smooth, elastic and soft.
Removes Skin Stain
- It works as a natural skin exfoliator and helps in removing the skin stain.
- Papaya peel is also used on the face to reduce the ageing signs and wrinkles as well as for whitening the legs.
Treats Ringworm Patches
- Raw papaya helps to treat and reduce the inflammation of the ringworms by rubbing the small pieces of it on the ringworm patches.
Treats Sore and Cracked Heels
- Sore and cracked heels can be treated when its mashed pulp is used on it.
Treats Skin Ulcers
- It cures and heals the external wounds and chronic skin ulcers when applied on.
Provides Relief from Skin Diseases
- It provides relief from the skin diseases or loss of sensation over skin if the affected area is massaged with mixture of papaya seeds paste and sesame (til) oil (boiled and cooled). Applying milk of raw papaya also provides help in skin disease.
Benefits of Papaya for Hair
Provides Nourishment to Hair Shaft
- Whether it is eaten or applied on the hair it nourishes the hair shaft.
- Because of its rich nutrients availability it cures and prevents baldness as well as boost the growth and strength of hair.
Prevents from Dandruff and Hair Thinning
- It helps in removing and controlling the dandruff from the scalp and reduces the hair thinning.
Source of Healthy Nutrients
- As being the rich source of the vitamins, minerals and enzymes it helps in removing oil, dirt and chemical build up from hair.
Makes Dull Hair Shiny
- The extracts of the papaya leaf works as a good hair conditioner which provides shine to the dull hair.
Makes Hair Strong and Thick
- Using the papaya as a hair mask helps the hairs to be thick, strong and healthy.
Benefits of Papaya for Heart
Maintain Blood Pressure and Improves Alertness
- Papaya is a very good antidote for the hypertension. The availability of the potassium in it helps to maintain the blood pressure and improve mental alertness.
Reduces Risk of Heart Diseases
- Because of being packed with the nutrients it prevents the occurrence of heart diseases. It prevents the causes of strokes and heart attack by preventing the cholesterol oxidation. Papaya converts the substance homocysteine (which causes heart attack and stroke) into the risk-free amino acids.
Lowers Bad Cholesterol Level in Blood
- As it is rich source of fiber, it lowers down the bad cholesterol level in blood if consumed regularly.
Reduces Stress Level
- Regular consumption of papaya in little amount helps in reducing stress level throughout the day as it is rich source of vitamin C which keeps away from stress by regulating the flow of stress hormones thus protects from heart disorders.
Treats Heart Disorders
- It helps in treating heart disorders if raw papaya milk (10-20 drops) is taken with Batasha, consuming raw papaya kheer or drinking papaya leaves kada (boil papaya leaves into water with saunf, elaichi, black pepper, black salt) during sleeping time in night.
Benefits of Papaya for Immunity System
Boosts Body Immunity
- Papaya boosts up the immunity system because of the availability of Beta-carotene, vitamin C, A, E which are very necessary for the functioning of immune system.
Prevents from Infection
- It helps in preventing the recurring infections of ear, cold as well as flu.
Benefits of Papaya for Good Eyesight
- Eating papaya two to three times a day helps the eyesight improved and maintained because of the presence of vitamin A.
Prevents from Eye Disorders
- It prevents from various eye disorders like weak eye sight, eye muscle problem, age-related macular degeneration and so many.
Benefits of Papaya for Cancer Prevention
Prevents from Colon Cancer
- The fiber found in papaya has ability to bind the cancer causing toxins in colon thus prevents colon cancer.
Prevents from Lungs Cancer
- Papaya is rich in the antioxidants like Flavanoids and Carotenes including beta-carotene, zea-xanthin, lutein and cryptoxanthin and others which protect the body from the lung cancers and other cancers as well as reduces the ageing process.
- Eating raw papaya salad or raw papaya raita with dahi helps in treating cancer.
Benefits of Papaya for Digestive System
Improves Digestion Process
- It helps in digestion process because of high enzyme content, soluble fiber content and high water.
Prevents from Constipation
- Because of the high water content and soluble fibers papaya helps in promoting the normal bowel movements and prevents from constipation (if 250 g of papaya is eaten in morning and 150 g eaten after food regularly).
Promotes Hunger and Treats Indigestion
- It helps in promoting hunger and treating indigestion if well ripe papaya (sprinkled with lemon juice, sendha namak and roasted jeera powder) is eaten regularly.
Treats Gall Bladder Stone
- It helps in treating gall bladder stone if 5-6 g of papaya root paste is taken with water in the early morning with empty stomach for 21 days.
Benefits of Papaya for Bones and Joints
Protects from Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Papaya protects from the inflammatory polyarthritis (means rheumatoid arthritis which involves more than one joint at a time).
- It helps in relieving the pain of people suffering from osteoporosis, arthritis and edema.
Benefits of Papaya for Aging Prevention
Promotes Cellular Growth
- B group vitamins like B1, B6, folate and minerals like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, calcium and etc promotes the cellular growth.
Delays Premature Ageing
- It has strong antioxidant property thus it protects the age related macular degeneration and premature ageing process.
Benefits of Papaya in Diabetes
Recently, one of my closest friends has asked me that “Is Papaya Good for Diabetic”. I answered her that there is no any restriction or harmful effects of eating papaya that a diabetic person should avoid eating papaya but it may depends on the blood sugar level of the diabetic person so he must consult his doctor before eating papaya sufficiently.
Nutrients found in papaya fruit have many health benefits for the diabetic person too. It is a low sugar and antioxidant food. Artificially prepared canned or bottled papaya juice should be avoided as it may have extra sugar level or preservatives. Antioxidant property of papaya prevents the cell damage of the human body.
Benefits of Papaya during Pregnancy
Yes, eating raw papaya fruit during pregnancy causes some serious health drawbacks. Eating a fully ripe papaya fruit is not dangerous; however eating unripe papaya may cause some problems because of the availability of latex substance which can starts the uterine contractions and causes a miscarriage, stillbirth, premature induction of labor, abortion or abnormalities in the baby. An enzyme called papain (vegetable pepsin) is found in the latex and leaves of papaya which works as same as like prostaglandin and oxytocin (a hormone which starts labor pain).
Sometimes, the synthetic prostaglandin as well as oxytocin is used in order to start or make stronger the labor contractions for normal delivery. Some other severe complications like oedema and hemorrhagic placentas may also occur because of the latex. Eating ripe papaya in moderate amount is ok but raw papaya is restricted. So, the pregnant woman should avoid eating unripe papaya or its product.
Benefits of Papaya for Men
Boosts Healthy Blood Flow
- Papaya boosts the male virility as it contains the enzyme known as arginine which boosts the flow of blood around sex organs.
Prevents from Prostate Cancer
- Regular consumption of it reduces the risk of developing prostate cancer among men as it is a lycopene rich fruit.
Benefits of Papaya for Women
- Papaya helps in promoting the normal flow of menstruation, controlling the menstrual irregularities and pain among women if raw papaya juice is taken regularly.
Burns Extra Fat Deposits
- It contains healthy nutrients like vitamins C, E, A, folates and antioxidants which promote more calorie burn by cutting down the extra fat deposits.
Benefits of Papaya for Weight Loss
- Papaya is well known fruit for years for its high effectiveness for the weight loss strategy among people more conscious towards their health and weight management.
Low Calorie Food
- Regular consumption of it helps in losing and maintaining weight because of its low calories and high nutritional contents.
Benefits of Papaya for Kids
Promotes Proper Growth and Prevents from Dwarfism
- Regular consumption of papaya on daily basis promotes healthy growth and development among kids as well as provides good length and prevents from dwarfism (small size).
Other Health Benefits of Papaya
Regulates Normal Body Functioning
- Papaya is very commonly found and cheap fruit having large amount of carotene which is very beneficial for the normal body functioning.
Cures Respiratory Disorders
- It helps in curing the respiratory disorders including bronchitis, cough and breathlessness as it has latex.
Good for Diabetic Patients
- It is good for the diabetic patients too instead of being a sweet fruit.
Cures Morning Sickness
- It helps curing the morning sickness and nausea in the pregnant ladies.
Prevents Unnecessary Blood Clotting
- It contains some natural anti blood clotting agents which help in preventing from the unnecessary blood clotting in the body.
- Eating papaya regularly helps in treating tooth pain, gum pain, bleeding gums and swelling problems.
Health Benefits of Papaya Seeds
As papaya gives us lots of benefits in our daily life, its small seeds also gives many health benefits. Some of are:
Prevents from Parasites
- The seeds of papaya fruit contain high levels of proteolytic enzyme just like papain which protects the body from parasites and their eggs as well as breaks down the protein wastes.
Kills Parasitic Worms
- Papaya seeds also have an anthelmintic alkaloid known as carpaine which can kill the parasitic worms and amoebas.
Treats Liver Cirrhosis
- Papaya seeds help to treat the liver cirrhosis (a disease caused by the excessive consumption of alcohol). Liver becomes hard and shrink and unable to remove toxins from the body which in turn cause serious health problems. Grinded papaya seed (four or five) can be taken by mixing with a tablespoon of lime juice for a month and twice a day to get relieve from the symptoms of liver cirrhosis. If taken regularly, helps in liver detoxification and improve its vital functioning.
Kills Harmful Bacteria
- Papaya seeds have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects on digestive system by killing harmful bacteria like Salmonella, Staphylococcus, E. coli and others causing hazardous infections.
Prevents from Kidney Failure
- Seeds of papaya protect the kidney from kidney failure caused by the toxins.
Avoid during Pregnancy
- Pregnant woman should avoid the papaya seeds and green papaya.
Cures Piles and Typhoid Fever
- Seeds of papaya also help in curing the piles and typhoid fever (if taken with milk).
Treats Plague and Cholera
- It helps in treating plague and cholera diseases if 120-125 mg seeds paste of papaya is taken with water every two hourly and 250 mg of papaya seeds paste is taken with rose water thrice a day respectively.
Relieves Pain of Bite of toxic Insects
- Applying the paste of papaya seeds on the bite area of toxic insects provides instant help.
Treats Swelling Problems
- Applying the paste of papaya seeds on ganth of any part of body provides help or taking 20 g juice of raw papaya regularly provides instant help and relief.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves
Benefits of Papaya Leaves Juice in Dengue Fever
Papaya leaves are also used for therapeutic purposes as it has the ability to cure the dengue fever. The juice and pulp from the papaya leaves (by grinding it) is needed to be squeezed out and taken 2 tsf once a day. Papaya leaves extracts boosts as well as regenerate the platelets (thrombocytes) and white blood cells level. It has some natural ingredients including the vitamins A, C and E which supports the immune system by regulating the T-cells.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves for Skin
Makes Skin Healthy
- Its higher vitamins contents, leaf juice works as a skin cleansing agent and promote the skin health. Also protects the skin from freckles, pimples and blemishes.
- The Juice of papaya leaves helps in treating the eczema if applied over the affected areas after cleaning.
- It also promotes the healing of wounds and sores.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves for Hair
Promotes Hair Growth
- Juice of papaya leaves works as a good conditioner for hair and promotes and strengthens the hair growth by treating the thinning, balding, dandruff and etc.
Treats Dull and Coarse Hair
- Papaya leaf juice can be applied together with the coconut milk and honey for better hair treatment. It gives shine, softness to the dull and coarse hair.
Keeps Hair Clean
- It removes the dirt and oil from the hair without any side effects.
Nutritional Benefits of Papaya per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Papaya Nutritional Benefits:
Water: 88.06 g
Energy: 43 Kcal
Protein: 0.47 g
Fat: 0.26 g
Carbohydrate: 10.82 g
Fiber: 1.7 g
Sugars: 7.82 g
Glucose (dextrose): 4.09 g
Fructose: 3.73 g
Minerals found in Papaya:
Calcium: 20 mg
Iron: 0.25 mg
Magnesium: 21 mg
Phosphorus: 10 mg
Zinc: 0.08 mg
Copper: 0.045 mg
Manganese: 0.040 mg
Selenium: 0.6 µg
Potassium: 182 mg
Sodium: 8 mg
Vitamins Found in Papaya:
Vitamin C: 60.9 mg
Thiamine (vitamin B1): 0.023 mg
Riboflavin (vitamin B2): 0.027 mg
Niacin (vitamin B3): 0.357 mg
Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5): 0.191 mg
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine): 0.038 mg
Folates: 37 µg
Choline: 6.1 mg
Beta Carotene: 274 µg
Alpha Carotene: 2 µg
Cryptoxanthin (beta): 589 µg
Vitamin A: 950 IU
Lycopene: 1828 µg
Lutein plus zeaxanthin: 89 µg
Vitamin E: 0.30 mg
Alpha Tocopherol: 0.02 mg
Tocopherol (gamma): 0.09 mg
Tocopherol (delta): 0.01 mg
Vitamin K, Phylloquinone: 2.6 µg
Fatty Acids Found in Papaya:
Saturated fatty acids: 0.081 g
Dodecanoic acid: 0.002 g
Tetradecanoic acid: 0.013 g
Hexadecanoic acid: 0.060 g
Octadecanoic acid (Lauric acid): 0.004 g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.072 g
Octadecenoic acid (Omega-9): 0.034 g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.058 g
Octadecadienoic acid (Omega-6): 0.011 g
Amino Acids Found in Papaya:
Tryptophan (amino acid): 0.008 g
Threonine: 0.011 g
Isoleucine: 0.008 g
Leucine: 0.016 g
Lysine: 0.025 g
Methionine: 0.002 g
Phenylalanine: 0.009 g
Tyrosine: 0.005 g
Valine: 0.010 g
Arginine: 0.010 g
Histidine: 0.005 g
Alanine: 0.014 g
Aspartic acid: 0.049 g
Glutamic acid: 0.033 g
Glycine: 0.018 g
Proline: 0.010 g
Serine: 0.015 g
How to Select and Store Papaya
Papaya is a very healthy fruit available in the market in abundant amount during its seasons in the summer and winter as well. Always, buy fresh, well ripe, tight, intact skin, yellowish orange bright color, soft and small size papaya from the market in order to finish it in a day or two. Avoid buying papaya in bulk amount as it may decay soon in a day or two. Do not buy bruised, irregular shape, yellowish green, too much tight, patchy or wrinkled skin and too long papaya from the market. Papaya can be stored at room temperature for almost three days long however it can be stored for longer period of time in the refrigerator.
How to Enjoy Papaya Fruit
Papaya can be enjoyed any time in the day or night in many forms such as mixed fruit salad, vegetable (green papaya), papaya with black salt and jeera powder, papaya with black salt and kali mirch powder, ice-cream and etc.
Precautions, Side Effects and Disadvantages of Eating More Papaya
- Eating too much papaya can cause carotenemia (skin discoloration) because of the high value of beta carotene. In carotenemia, palms, white of the eye, soles of the body can be more affected and become yellowish and makes a person feel like jaundice.
- Eating more papaya can cause the respiratory distress in a person because the Papain (an enzyme found in papaya) is a potential allergen which can cause hay fever or asthma, breathing difficulties, wheezing and nasal congestion.
- Eating a lot of papaya can cause kidney stones. As the papaya has vitamin C, taking high dose of vitamin C more than the daily recommended value provoke the toxicity symptoms and oxalate (byproduct of vitamin C) kidney stones.
- Eating too much papaya can cause the gastrointestinal symptoms. The fibers, Papain and latex can cause irritation and upset of the stomach.
How Much Papaya Should You Eat A Day
As the papaya is packed with the nutrients, vitamins, minerals and etc, it can be eaten three times a day. Eating more can cause unpleasant side effects over the health of body. There is not any accurate or ideal amount of the papaya which can be eaten daily by all the people. Because the energy, nutrients, vitamins and minerals requirement of the body is different for every person so the one should take papaya in balanced amount according to his own diet and nutritional requirements.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Fruits