Milk, a white liquid, is a symbol of purity and considered as the wholesome food made by all the mammals through their mammary glands. It is the highest source of the nutrition for all and a whole food the infant before they start digesting other things. It is highly recommended by the doctors to feed the first milk of the mother to her baby as it contains a necessary substance called, colostrums (it enhances the baby immunity by passing antibodies from mother to her baby).
India is the largest producer as well as the consumer of milk all over the world. It does need to export and import the milk. The largest importer countries of the milk or milk products are China and Russia. In India, it is produced naturally by the pet animals such as cow, buffalo, goat, sheep, yaks, horses, reindeers, camels and etc. Milk is used for years to make variety of milk products including yogurt, cream, kefir, ice cream, butter, condensed milk, powdered milk, chocolate, casein, whey, cheese, sweets and etc. It has a special type of the sugar called lactose (found only in milk and some other tropical shrubs).
Benefits of Milk
Milk is the very essential part of the balanced diet which is must to have on daily basis to get all the required healthy nutrients in form of the vitamins, minerals and protein. Do not be shy taking it as a daily nutritious food; it never adds weight to your body. However, it helps in managing regular weight to the weight conscious people. Here I have mentioned lots of health benefits of the milk:
- Milk is known as the great muscle building food as it contains high level of the protein which rebuilds the body muscles. Drinking a glass of milk after getting exercised is better for the recovery.
Maintains Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
- It helps in reducing the body discomfort during heavy exercise by maintaining the fluid and electrolytes balance.
Keeps Stress Free
- It is a food helps in keeping our mind and soul stress free at the day end.
Relaxes Body Muscles
- Drinking a glass of luke warm milk relaxes the tensed body muscles as well as soothes the tired nerves.
Boosts Energy Level
- It reduces the tiredness by boosting the energy level.
Maintains Blood Pressure
- It maintains the blood pressure thus reduces the risk of heart problems including strokes.
- It regularizes the cholesterol production from the liver and acts as a good antacid.
- Its vitamin A and B availability helps in maintaining the good eyesight.
Prevents from Cancer and Type 2 Diabetes
- Taking milk regularly slows down the risk of developing various type of the cancer and Type 2 diabetes.
Strengthens Bones and Teeth
- Its potassium content helps to keep normal blood pressure whereas phosphorus strengthens the bones and teeth.
Maintains Health of Red Blood Cells
- Vitamin B12 availability in the milk maintains the health of red blood cells (RBC) as well as nerve tissues.
Source of Vitamin A
- Its vitamin A availability nourishes the immune system, keeps the normal vision and glowing skin.
- Its niacin availability helps in improving the metabolism if taken a glass before going to aerobics.
Keeps Away from Illnesses
- It keeps the variety of illnesses at bay because of its high level nutrients availability in form of minerals, vitamins and amino acids.
- Drinking milk reduces the acidity thus helps in treating the heartburn cases.
Induce Better Sleep
- Drinking milk during bed time enhances the asleep better and prevents from the impaired metabolism and chronic diseases.
Prevents from Ageing
- Organic milk (produced by cow) has higher concentrations of the omega-3 fatty acids as well as antioxidants thus prevents from ageing and other lethal diseases.
- Drinking organic milk during the summer season provides more health benefits as it contains high level of inflammation-reducing fatty acids.
Reduces Risk of Colon Cancer
- It reduces the risk of colon cancer if taken regularly in the diet.
Maintains Oral Health
- It reduces the oral acidity, stimulates the saliva secretion, decreases the plaque formation and etc.
Enhances Memory Level
- Drinking a glass of milk per day enhances the brain capacity and memory level as well as prevents the neuropsychological dysfunctions.
Benefits of Milk for Skin
Provides Glow to Skin
- Milk plays a great role in making our skin a glowing one whether it is taken orally or applied directly on the skin by taking bath or by other means. It helps in maintaining the softness, flexibility and brightness of the skin for life long.
- It contains the lactic acid which acts as a natural exfoliate, removes the dead skin cells and keeps the skin clear, very smooth and rejuvenated.
- It has good number and amount of the amino acids which keeps the skin moisturized for long.
Prevents Skin Damage
- Regular consumption of the milk aids in preventing skin damages through the environmental toxins as it is a very good antioxidant food.
Benefits of Milk for Bones and Teeth
Source of Calcium and Magnesium
- Milk is a very good natural source of the calcium and magnesium which helps in making the bones and teeth very healthy.
- Drinking milk on regular basis enhanced the growth and development of the bones among children as well as maintains the health of bones and prevents osteoporosis among adult.
Prevents Tooth Decay
- It prevents the tooth decay and formation of cavities among teeth by making them strong and infection free.
Rich Source of Vitamin D
- It has vitamin D in sufficient amount which helps a lot in the absorption of the calcium in the small intestine. Fortified milk is also available in the market with extra level of the vitamin D for the people suffering from the deficiency of it.
Protects Tooth Enamel
- It protects the tooth enamel from the acidic foods.
Benefits of Milk for Weight Loss
- Milk plays a great role in reducing and maintaining the weight if it (low-fat or skim milk) is taken on regular basis.
- It is a food known as for its great appetizing property as well as a healthy snack. Drinking a glass of milk is good during dinner or after eating fruit anytime.
Benefits of Milk during Pregnancy
Keeps Infant Healthy
- Pregnant women must drink a required amount of the milk regularly as the infant needs more calcium and vitamins to develop normally.
Maintains Eyesight and Prevents Osteoporosis
- Vitamin B12 maintains the RBC level among the pregnant women, vitamin A maintains their eye sight and vitamin D prevents from the osteoporosis.
Boosts Energy Level
- Drinking milk during pregnancy maintains the blood pressure, energy level and overall health of the body.
Benefits of Milk for Hair
Improves Hair Growth
- Vitamin A availability of the milk aids a lot to maintain the growth, development and health of the hair.
Improves Blood Circulation to Scalp
- A balance of the nutrients in milk maintains the healthy functioning of the muscles and blood vessels to the scalp.
Benefits of Milk for Women
Enhances Calcium Absorption
- It is a PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome) fighter among women if taken regularly as it enhances the calcium absorption because of vitamin D thus lowers the risk of developing PMS.
Boosts Fertility Level
- It is also a fertility booster food as it reduces the ovulation problems among women by boosting their fertility health.
Benefits of Milk for Men
Contains High Protein
- Milk is a wholesome and body building food for the men who drink it regularly after their high-intensity workouts as it has high protein level which builds muscle after the intense exercises.
Good Sports Beverage
- It is a good sports beverage after an intense physical activity or common physical activity.
Reduces Risk of Stroke
- It protects the men from getting the risk of stroke and other heart problems.
- It manages the hypertension and brings it to the normal level.
Benefits of Milk for Kids
Develops Nerve and Brain
- Kids over 2 years need whole milk as they need more fat for the healthy nerve and brain development.
- They need more milk for the healthy development of the bones and teeth
Contains all Essential Nutrients
- Milk has almost all the essential nutrients required for the healthy growth and development of the kids.
Benefits of Milk with Turmeric
Turmeric milk can be made by boiling the milk for 15 mins with 1 inch piece of turmeric. It has various health benefits such as:
Prevents Bacterial and Viral Infections
- It has both anti bacterial and anti-microbial property which aids in preventing from the bacterial and viral infections (sore throat, cough and cold).
Treats Respiratory Problems
- It is also used treating various respiratory problems such as the lung congestion, sinus problem, asthma and bronchitis.
- It prevents from various types of the cancers like breast, lung, skin, prostate and colon cancers because of its anti-inflammatory property.
Prevents DNA Damage
- It prevents the DNA from getting damaged as well as reduces chemotherapy side effects.
Prevents from Arthritis and Stomach Ulcer
- Its anti inflammatory property prevents the body from developing the arthritis and stomach ulcers.
Cures Headache and Pain
- It also acts as a natural aspirin and cures the headaches, swelling and pain.
Fights with Free Radicals
- It acts as a good antioxidant which fights with free radicals and delays the ageing process.
Excellent Blood Purifier
- It acts as an excellent blood purifier as well as cleanser which refreshes and boosts the blood circulation all over the body.
Natural Liver Detoxifier
- It acts as a natural liver detoxifier which boosts the liver function by making it healthy.
- It is a powerful antiseptic which maintains the intestinal health and prevents from the diarrhea, indigestion, stomach ulcers and colitis.
Eases Menstrual Cramps
- It is also a good antispasmodic which eases the menstrual cramps during menstruation among women.
Eases Delivery Process
- It makes the delivery process very easy, enhances the post partum recovery, increases lactation and quickens the contraction of ovaries.
- It nourishes the skin and makes it soft, flexible and glowing.
Breaks Down Fat
- It helps to control the weight by breaking down the dietary fat.
- It enhances the sleep during night and prevents from the insomnia.
Beauty Benefits/Benefits of Milk on face
Makes Skin Healthy
- Applying raw milk with cotton balls on the face makes the face skin radiant, smooth, wrinkles free, stains free, reduces irritation and quickens the wounds healing.
Nourishes and Softens Skin
- It nourishes and softens the facial skin as well as exfoliates the upper dead skin cells.
- Milk bath is also good for nourishing the whole body skin. At some places, fresh camel milk is used for the ritual bath.
Makes Skin Radiant
- Applying the mixture of 2 tsf powdered milk, a tsf honey with 2 tsf luke warm water on the face and neck areas for some time, makes the skin radiant.
Makes Skin Smooth
- Applying the mixture of a cup of milk and 3 tsf oatmeal to the face as a scrub and rinse with warm water, makes the skin softer and smoother.
- Milk or milk products like yogurt are used as a face mask to get wrinkles and stains free skin.
- Applying the mixture of papaya, ½ tsf honey and 1 tsf raw milk on the face and neck removes the fine lines and wrinkles.
Makes Skin Fair
- Applying the mixture of 2 tsf vitamin E, 2 tsf yogurt and half tsf honey with little lemon juice over face for 15 mins and rinse with warm water, makes the skin fair and clean.
- Applying the paste of soaked almonds for whole night in the raw milk over the face and neck areas make the skin fair and smooth.
Lightens Skin Color
- Applying the mixture of 2 tsf milk, 1 tsf honey and 1 tsf lemon juice over face skin for 10 mins, lightens the skin color.
- Applying raw milk with gram flour/fuller’s earth on the face also lightens the skin naturally.
- Applying the mixture of milk powder and almond oil with lemon juice on the face also lightens the skin tone.
Provides Glow to Skin
- Applying the mixture of mashed half banana and raw milk over face for 15 mins smoothens the fine lines of skin and makes it glow.
Cures Sun Burn
- It is good home remedy for curing the sun burn skin.
Benefits of Milk and Honey
Prevents from Infections
- It has an antimicrobial and cleansing property which prevents from the infections and makes the skin healthy and glowing.
Improves Digestive System Functioning
- It enhances the growth and development of probiotics (useful bacteria in the intestine) and makes the digestive system functioning properly.
Boosts Body Stamina
- Drinking a glass of milk with honey in the morning time boosts the body stamina.
Enhances Bone Health
- It enhances better bone health because of its richness of necessary nutrients.
- It is good home remedy for treating the insomnia and sleeplessness.
- It has anti ageing and antioxidant property thus helps in maintaining the youthfulness.
Cures Respiratory and Intestinal Disorders
- Its antibacterial property cures the respiratory disorders and intestinal disorders like constipation and flatulence.
Benefits of Milk Chocolate
Boosts Body Stamina
- Milk chocolate is prepared by mixing with cacoa bean, sugar, cacoa butter and condensed milk/milk powder. It is loaded with the energy, nutrients and acts as a brain stimulator thus enhances the body stamina.
Nutritional Benefits of Whole Cow’s Milk Per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient database)
Energy: 60 kcal
Carbohydrate: 5.26 g
Sugar (Lactose): 5.26 g
Water: 88.32 g
Total Fat: 3.25 g
Saturated: 1.865 g
Monounsaturated: 0.812 g
Polyunsaturated: 0.195 g
Protein: 3.22 g
Tryptophan: 0.075 g
Threonine: 0.143 g
Isoleucine: 0.165 g
Leucine: 0.265 g
Lysine: 0.140 g
Methionine: 0.075 g
Cystine: 0.017 g
Phenylalanine: 0.147 g
Tyrosine: 0.152 g
Valine: 0.192 g
Arginine: 0.075 g
Histidine: 0.075 g
Alanine: 0.103 g
Aspartic acid: 0.237 g
Glutamic acid: 0.648 g
Glycine: 0.075 g
Proline: 0.342 g
Serine: 0.107 g
Vitamin A: 46 μg
Thiamine: 0.044 mg
Riboflavin: 0.183 mg
Vitamin B12: 0.45 μg
Choline: 14.3 mg
Vitamin D: 2 IU
Calcium: 113 mg
Magnesium: 10 mg
Potassium: 132 mg
Sodium: 43 mg
Different Types of Milk and their Health Benefits
I have mentioned here some different types of the milk and their health benefits:
Benefits of Cow Milk
It is a low-fat and high protein milk rich in calcium than other milks which reduces the risk of osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes and colon cancer to a great level.
Benefits of Goat Milk
It has different proteins and fats in comparison to the cow milk. It is easier to digest. It contains more phosphorus, essential fatty acids, zinc including potassium, iron, magnesium and calcium. Drinking goat milk regularly reduces the blood cholesterol level and cures the iron deficiency anaemia by regenerating the haemoglobin.
Benefits of Soy Milk
It is a non-dairy source of milk made from the soybeans and water. It is lactose-free milk having high amount of calcium and protein with no saturated fat. As it acts as an oestrogen hormone, it provides relief to the menopausal women.
Benefits of Oat Milk
It is made from the oats and has oaty flavor. It is rich in folic acid, fibre, vitamin E and phytochemicals which aid a lot in preventing from the heart diseases, stroke and cancer. It is completely free from the lactose and cholesterol and has low saturated fat. It is very useful for those who are intolerant to the lactose of the cow milk.
Benefits of Rice Milk
It is prepared by the unsweetened brown rice. It has no cholesterol, saturated fat and lactose, thus it is a good choice to the intolerant people to the cow milk.
Benefits of Almond Milk
It is prepared using finely grounded raw almonds and water. It is free from the cholesterol and lactose. It has antioxidant rich vitamin E and low amount of fat thus prevents ageing.
How to Enjoy Milk
Milk can be enjoyed anytime and anyways. It can be enjoyed drinking as warm or cold milk, milk tea, coffee, milk shake with different fruits (banana, mango, chikoo etc). It is also enjoyed by making its products like curd, cheese, ghee, whey, khoya, butter, sweets, carrot halawa, ice cream, milk cake, milk chocolates, milk cream and etc. Any form of the milk has its own health benefits.
Disadvantages, Side Effects and Precautions of Drinking Milk
- Most of the milks sold in the market are produced from the cows injecting some hormones to induce the milk production. These hormones may cause cancer of the breast, prostate or testes. Try to buy organic milk (rich in conjugated linoleic acids which reduces the risk of heart diseases and diabetes) as it is free from the growth hormones and harmful pesticides.
- Some people have allergy to the milk and may suffer from the hives, wheezing, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, rashes and running nose and etc.
- Milk has saturated fat, thus drinking more milk may increase the blood cholesterol levels and hence raise the risk of heart diseases and Type 2 diabetes.
- Cow milk enhances the secretion of mucus throughout the body which leads to the allergy like hay fever, colds, sinusitis, nasal stuffiness, ear infections, asthma and many more.
- Avoid drinking raw milk as it can cause food poisoning and even death because of harmful bacteria.
- Some milk products are sensitive to somebody and cause skin allergy.
- Always drink pasteurized milk as it kills all the harmful bacteria and microorganisms found in raw milk.
- Avoid drinking too much milk as it may cause kidney stone or you need to drink more water while drinking much milk.
- Most of the people have allergic reactions to the milk lactose. Lactose intolerance makes the people unable to digest cow milk because of the lack lactase enzyme in the intestine (required to break down the lactose into small molecules). Avoid drinking milk if have lactose intolerance as it may lead to the bloating, flatulence and diarrhea.
- Cow milk is rich in saturated fat which increases the risk of heart diseases and diabetes.
- Oat milk has less protein and not gluten free which may not complete the body requirement of protein.
- Rice milk has low calcium and protein thus it cannot replaces the real milk.
- Most of the milk sold in the supermarket contains added sugar which may harm to the health.
How Much Milk a Day
Drinking milk is very beneficial if it is taken in limit. It can be taken around two to three glasses a day (nonfat or low-fat) which fulfils the daily need of the calcium, vitamin D and other essential nutrients like potassium, vitamin A, phosphorus and vitamin B12. However, drinking how much milk a day is highly depends on the age, sex and body requirement of the person.
Find the Benefits of Milk Products