Coconut or Nariyal is a God gifted fruit which nourishes the humanity amazingly for years. Coconut water is a clear liquid having lots of the health benefits for the better growth and development. It is a very popular energetic drink to drink in the summer seasons, especially in the India, Southeast Asia, Brazilian Coast, Africa, Pacific Islands and the Caribbean. However, it is easily available in both summer and winter seasons. It is available in the market as a whole fresh fruit, canned or bottled. Generally, it is sold by the street vendors on the sides of the roads, who serve it by cutting with hard and sharp knife.
It is a very good source of the natural energy which can be drank at anytime and anywhere. It has high levels of the minerals and vitamins as well as very low levels of the fat and calories. It is considered as the sterile fluid which has been used in some countries as an intravenous hydration fluid (identical to the human plasma). It is the rich source of the antioxidants and cytokinins (promote cell division and growth in the plant). It is used to make the coconut vinegar using the process of fermentation.
Benefits of Coconut Water/Nariyal Pani
Coconut water or Nariyal Pani is an enormous energy booster which has ability to replace the official drinks like tea, coffee including other energy drinks having high levels of the caffeine. A cup of the coconut water provides 50 calories and necessary vitamins and minerals required to nourish the body. I have mentioned below its all the effective health benefits:
Hydrates Whole Body
- Coconut water hydrates the whole body better than the ordinary drinking water.
Rich Source of Nutrients
- It is the richest source of the dietary fibres, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, minerals (magnesium, potassium) and etc required for the better health.
Boosts Immune System
- Regular drinking of the coconut water boosts the immune system and reduces the occurrence of the common cold, cough and flu.
Removes Toxins and Prevents from Kidney Stones
- It helps in maintaining the health of the cardiovascular system as well as improves the kidney functioning to filter out the toxins from body and reduces the risk of kidney stones formation.
Maintains Fluid Level
- Nariyal Pani replaces the body minerals and fluids lost during the physical exercises.
Promotes Cell Growth and Regulation
- It acts as an anti ageing fruit as it contains the most vital elements (cytokines and lauric acid) required for the process of cell growth and regulation.
Regulates Various Functions
- Coconut water also acts as an anti-carcinogenic and anti-thrombotic agent which helps in reducing the skin ageing, balancing PH level and making the connective tissue strong and hydrated.
Manages Blood Pressure
- It is rich in the minerals like magnesium and potassium which helps the people suffering from the low blood pressure.
Reduces Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke
- It helps a lot in regulating the blood circulation and preventing the plaque formation in the arteries, thus it reduces the occurrence of the heart attack and strokes.
Manages Cholesterol Level
- It maintains the cardiovascular health by increasing the good cholesterol level and reducing the bad cholesterol level in the blood.
Burns Extra Calories
- It helps in burning the extra energy from the body by increasing the metabolism rate.
Dissolves Kidney Stones
- Its high potassium content helps in dissolving the kidney stones by alkalizing the urine and preventing kidney stones formation.
Improves Metabolism Process
- Nariyal Pani is made up of the bioactive enzymes (folic acid, peroxidase, dehydrogenase, catalase, phosphatase, diastase, RNA polymerases and etc) which make the digestion and metabolism process better.
Maintains Electrolytes Balance
- It maintains the electrolyte balance and helps in treating the dehydration due to the diarrhoea, dysentery, cholera and other digestive problems.
Prevents from Muscle Cramps
- Because of its high potassium content, it prevents from the muscle cramps.
Rich Source of Calcium
- Its high calcium content makes the bones, muscles and tissues very strong and healthy.
Reduces Stress Level
- Nariyal Pani helps in managing the anxiety, stress and depression.
Improves Urine Flow
- It acts as a diuretic and enhances the flow of urine.
Treats various Medical Conditions
- It is used for the medicinal purposes to treat some problems like dengue fever, heartburn, constipation, neutralizing toxins and etc.
Removes Body Toxins
- Its antioxidant property helps to fight with the free radicals, reduce toxic effect of the drugs and swelling of hands and legs.
Benefits of Coconut Water for Weight Loss
Speeds up Metabolism
- It aids in the weight management as it speeds up the metabolism process of the body.
Contains Low Calorie and Cholesterol
- It is very low in calories, fats, chlorides and cholesterol thus aids a lot in weight loss if used on daily basis.
Benefits of Coconut Water for Skin
- Nariyal Pani is very beneficial for the skin whether it is drank orally or applied directly on the skin. It moisturizes the skin for long and maintains the pH balance.
Reduces Skin Problems
- It reduces the acne, stretch marks, scars, cellulite, eczema, blemishes and etc.
- It reduces the wrinkles on the skin and early ageing process.
- It rejuvenates the body as it is a naturally gifted fruit containing miracles of the nature.
Beneficial for all Skin Types
- It is useful for all the skin types such as dull, dry and oily skin.
Removes Sun Tan
- Applying coconut water with multani mitti on the face helps in removing the sun tan and makes the skin glowing and lustrous.
Prevents from Skin Infections
- It prevents the skin from various skin infections because of its anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.
Benefits of Coconut Water during Pregnancy
Safe for Both Mother and Baby
- It is a natural origin and completely safe for the pregnant and lactating (breastfeeding) women.
Prevents from Infection and Illness
- coconut water prevents from various infections and illnesses during pregnancy.
Benefits of Coconut Water for Kids
Prevents from Dehydration and Acidity
- It is very beneficial for the kids as it is a natural way to replenish the electrolytes supply to the body in order to get prevented from the dehydration and acidity.
Cures Intestinal Worms Problem
- If taken with lemon juice, coconut water helps in treating the dehydration and curing the intestinal worms problem among children.
Benefits of Coconut Water for Hair
Prevents Hair Loss
- Drinking coconut water or Nariyal Pani on regular basis resolves all the hair loss issues as it improves the blood circulation to the scalp, strengthens the hair follicles and enhances the better hair growth.
Treats Dull and Dry Hair
- It fights with the dull and dry hair and makes it smooth and shiny.
Makes Hair Soft and Smooth
- Applying coconut water to the scalp makes the hair soft, smooth and handy.
Prevents Hair Damage
- Its lauric acid content prevents the hair from breakage.
- It has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, thus prevents from the dandruff, itchy scalp and lice problems.
Nutritional Benefits of Coconut Water/Nariyal Pani per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 19 Kcal
Carbohydrate: 3.71 g
Sugar: 2.61 g
Dietary fibre: 1.1 g
Fat: 0.2 g
Protein: 0.72 g
Water: 94.99 g
Thiamine: 0.03 mg
Riboflavin: 0.057 mg
Niacin: 0.08 mg
Pantothenic acid: 0.043 mg
Vitamin B6: 0.032 mg
Folate: 3 μg
Vitamin C: 2.4 mg
Sodium: 105 mg
Potassium: 250 mg
Calcium: 24 mg
Iron: 0.29 mg
Magnesium: 25 mg
Phosphorus: 20 mg
Zinc: 0.1 mg
Copper: 40 mcg
Manganese: 0.142 mg
Auxin (Gibberlin): Available
Selection and Storage of Coconuts
Select fresh coconuts from the market without any spots and bruises on the skin. Fresh and healthy raw coconuts can be easily stored for one to two weeks at the room temperature. But after getting opened it cannot be stored for long as its taste changes to the sour and off-flavoured because of its powerful enzymatic activity.
How to Enjoy Coconut Water
Coconut water can be enjoyed by making the iced coconut juice, adding lemon slices, mint leaves or orange zest etc. Because of its medicinal uses and healing properties, coconut tree is famous as the “Tree of Life” and the coconut water as “miracle water”. It produces approximately 150 to 200 coconuts in a season and per coconut has around 200 ml to 1000 ml of coconut water.
Disadvantages and Side Effects of Coconut Water
- It is not as better for the athletes as it is rich in potassium and low in carbohydrate, this combination is not good for the athletes.
- Its overdose may increase the blood sugar level.
- It overdose may increase the blood pressure as it has high sodium level.
- It may cause allergic reactions to the people vulnerable to the allergy.
How Much Coconut Water to Drink Daily
It depends on the heath and condition of the person such as person suffering from the high blood pressure may take around 250 to 300 ml of the coconut water twice daily. For the physically active person it may increase according to the body fluid loss. However, for the regular intake, it should be consulted properly by the physician.