Amla or Indian Gooseberry is a great and amazing natural fruit which is available in India in very sufficient amount in the winter season. One can use it or store it for his regular uses in all the seasons. It is the important fruits of the Ayurveda as most of the Ayurvedic preparations have amla. Amla is also known as the Indian gooseberry which is packed with the lot of nutrients, Polyphenols, vitamins, minerals iron and etc. It helps everyone to have a longer and healthier life. It keeps the person at bay from several diseases.
Gooseberry is the most commonly utilized fruit in the Indian households because of its really working health benefits and medicinal properties for long years. 100 grams of amla contains around 445 mg of vitamin C. It also contains the ellagic acid, gallic acid, kaempferol, flavonoids and Polyphenols which have their own benefits as an antimicrobial and antiviral. Amla works as a good blood purifier thus found in many herbal medicines to treat various diseases like diabetes, heart disease, diarrhea, fever, bacterial and viral infections. It works as a natural appetizer (improves appetite) without any side effects.
Benefits of Amla | Benefits of Amla for Eyes | Benefits of Amla for Digestive System | Benefits of Amla for Skin | Benefits of Amla for Hair | Benefits of Amla Juice | Benefits of Amla Juice for Weight Loss | Benefits of Amla Murabba
Benefits of Amla/Gooseberry
Rich Source of Vitamin C
- Amla is very good source of Vitamin C.
Strengthen Immunity Power
- It enhances the immunity power of a person if it is used regularly.
- Amla has antibacterial property thus helps to fight against infection by building immunity.
Prevents from Ageing
- Amla is the rich source of antioxidants thus prevents the body from free radicals, reduces cells damage, prevent from ageing, cancer and other diseases.
Beneficial for Stomach and Liver
- Amla reduces the inflammation and acidity.
- Amla keeps the liver healthy (a most important body organ) and helps in flushing out more toxins.
Keeps Urinary System Healthy
- It also keeps the urinary system healthy and helps in flushing out more toxins without over-stimulating the kidney.
Cures Sore Throat
- It cures the sore throat and cough if taken its juice with ginger juice together.
Keeps Bone Healthy
- The extracts of amla help in slowing down the activity of osteoclasts (a cell type which breaks down the bone).
Prevents from Infection
- It protects us from chronic cough, Bronchitis, tuberculosis as well as allergic asthma.
Provides Nourishment to Nerves
- It nourishes the nerves and provides relief in paralytic situations.
Keeps Body Systems Healthy
- It cures urinary, respiratory, cerebral, gastro, cardiovascular problems.
Increases Hemoglobin Level
- Because of its iron content, it enhances the RBC production and hemoglobin.
Strengthens Teeth and Nails
- It makes stronger the teeth and nails.
Improves Memory Power
- Amla rejuvenates the brain and improves memory as it is rich source of antioxidants and vitamin-c which enhances the production of norepinephrine (neurotransmitter) thus enhances the mood and brain activity.
- It treats the disorders like insomnia and provides relief from stress.
- It cures the leucorrhoea if taken with honey.
- It boosts the protein metabolism and helps in losing weight faster.
Provides Relief from Inflammation
- It helps in curing the diseases like arthritis, osteoporosis and pancreatitis and age-related renal diseases.
- Because of its anti-inflammatory properties it reduces the joints (like knees) pain and swelling in the person with arthritis.
Reduces Bad Cholesterol
- Amla enhances the level of good cholesterol means HDL and reduces the bad cholesterol.
Reduces Risk of Gall Bladder Stone
- It helps by preventing the risk of gall bladder stone (gall stone) formation as it reduces the cholesterol level in bile (excess cholesterol cause formation of stone).
Beneficial for Heart
- Amla is very good source for reducing the bad cholesterol level or LDL (by inhibiting the oxidation of called thiobarbituric acid, TBA), triglycerides and VLDL level in the body. So, it helps the heart to be prevented from many diseases like heart attack, stroke etc. As it is rich in the fibers and iron, so effectively in controls the oxidation of LDL means Low density lipoprotein which releases the free radicals (causing coronary artery disease).
Protects from Heart Diseases
- Amla helps in preventing the accumulation of plaques in the arteries means atherosclerosis thus protects heart diseases.
- It improves the body resistance and strengthens the heart muscles.
Benefits of Amla for Diabetes
Maintains Blood Sugar Level
- Amla is rich in polyphenol thus controls the diabetes and complications of diabetes. It assists in the good insulin absorption which leads to the reduced blood sugar.
Regularizes Carbohydrate Metabolism
- It is rich in chromium which helps in regulating the carbohydrate metabolism thus helps the body to respond well to the insulin and reduces blood glucose level.
Benefits of Amla for Women and Men
Provides Relief from Menstrual Pain
- Amla helps the woman by relieving the menstrual cramps.
Enhances Sperm Count
- Amla is rich in the iron content which has ability to enhance hemoglobin and the sperm count thus improves the sex life.
Benefits of Amla for Eyes
- Amla juice if taken with honey helps in improving the eyesight.
Reduces Eye Inflammation
- It helps in reducing the redness, itching and watering of the eyes as well as improves eyesight.
Benefits of Amla for Digestive System
Prevents from Gastric Ailments
- Amla reduces the gastric problems as it has anti inflammatory properties and works as a good antidote for upset stomach. It cures acidity if taken empty stomach.
Improves Good Digestion
- Amla helps the body in more nutrients absorption from food thus aids in good digestion.
Remedy for Diarrhea, Dysentery and Constipation
- It is very good home remedy for diarrhea, dysentery and constipation because of its laxatives property.
Provides Relief from Acidity
- It provides relief from the hyperchlorhydria means the burning sensation of abdomen.
Benefits of Amla for Skin
Makes Skin Youthful
- Gooseberry helps the skin looking great by removing blemishes, acne and other scars. It is good for getting better complexion as it is the excellent source of Vitamin C and minerals).
Provides Natural Glow to Skin
- It lightens the skin complexion as it contains vitamin C (anti aging property) which provides youthful look and natural glow.
Removes Dead Cells and Wrinkles
- It works as a natural exfoliator and skin brightening mask as it removes dead cells, wrinkles and soothes the skin because of its astringent properties.
Removes Spots from Skin
- Applying amla juice with cotton balls on the face for 10 to 15 minutes keeps skin spots, acne, pimples and pigments free.
Prevents from Ageing
- It is good source of Vitamin A thus reduces the ageing process. Vitamin A is very necessary for producing collagen (makes the skin looks young and elastic). If it is taken empty stomach, it slows down the collagen degradation.
Tightens the Skin
- It boosts the collagen production in the skin thus keeps skin tight, toned, soft, supple and youthful.
Repair Damaged Skin Cells
- It is a natural home remedy which promotes damaged skin cells repairing in the body and makes skin smooth and new look.
Benefits of Amla for Hair
Keeps hair Healthy
- It helps the hairs to look healthy and shiny than ever before if uses regularly. It minimizes the hair loss and helps the body to absorb more calcium from food.
- Eating or applying paste of amla powder to the hair helps in getting relief from the dandruff and keeps hair strong, thick, dark and smooth.
Prevents from Premature Hair Graying
- Amla oil massage helps in inducing sound sleep and preventing premature hair graying because of antioxidant nature.
Promote Hair Growth
- It strengthens hair follicles and encourages new hair growth if amla juice and lemon juice mixture is applied to the scalp for 20 to 30 mins and wash with little warm water.
Treats Hair Problems
- Regular consumption of amla or amla juice helps in treating various hair problems like hair loss, hair fall, split ends and etc.
Benefits of Amla Juice
Effective for Scurvy and Jaundice
- Taking amla juice in the early morning (empty stomach) prevents from scurvy and jaundice.
Treats Mouth Ulcer
- Amla juice treats the mouth ulcers very frequently.
Boosts Immunity System
- Amla juice is a powerhouse of the vitamin C and iron which helps boosting the immunity system and prevents from various diseases.
Provides Relief from Respiratory Diseases
- Drink amla juice with honey to get relieve from the respiratory problems like asthma, allergic asthma, bronchitis, chronic cough, tuberculosis and etc.
Regularizes Bowel Movements
- It regulates bowel movements and reduces the risk of chronic constipation and piles and other gastric disorders such as hyperchlorhydria (abdominal burning sensation), diarrhea, dysentery, peptic ulcer and acidity.
Increases RBC Counts
- Regular drink of amla juice purifies blood by flushing out all the toxins from body as well as enhancing red blood cell counts.
Reduces Risk of Eye Problems
- It improves eyesight by reducing the chances of nearsightedness, glaucoma, cataracts, intraocular tension and etc.
Prevents from UV Rays
- It makes a protective shield around the body to prevent from the harmful sun light radiations such as UV rays.
Reduces Inflammation of Bone
- It reduces the inflammations and swelling in the joints as well as cures arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Reduces Stress Level
- It is a body cooling drink keeps mind stress free and cures insomnia.
Prevents from Cancer
- Its powerful antioxidant quality protects against free radicals formation and their side effects thus prevents from cancer and other lethal diseases.
Benefits of Amla Juice for Weight Loss
- It helps in improving the metabolism rate in the body and protein synthesis which in turn helps losing weight faster.
Removes Body Toxins
- It detoxifies the body and removes toxins thus reduces tendency to gain more weight.
Energizes the Body
- It helps in energizing and rejuvenating the body all time by maintaining the proper body systems work out thus reduces the chance of tiredness and lethargy which ultimately contribute to weight loss strategy.
Rich Source of all Crucial Nutrients
- It fulfills the daily body needs of minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients which keeps body active and promotes weight loss.
Benefits of Amla Powder
Prevents Body from Free Radicals
- Amla powder contains high level of vitamin C, phytonutrients, ellagic acid, flavonoids and etc which helps in reducing free radicals formation in the body.
Repair Hair Damage
- Amla powder can be eaten orally or applied topically to the face or hair to get its full benefits. It contains a phenolic compound called gallic acid which helps in repairing damaged hair.
Maintain Blood Pressure
- It helps in controlling elevated cholesterol level in the blood as well as having tendency to lower the blood pressure.
Prevents from Gastrointestinal Disorders
- It is rich source of dietary fibers which helps in regulating digestive functioning and reduces the risk of gastrointestinal disorders.
Benefits of Amla Seeds Oil
Promotes Better Hair Growth
- Applying amla hair oil with proper massage to the scalp promotes better hair growth and strengthens the hair follicles.
Prevents from Hair Loss
- It provides natural dark color and shine to the hair as well as prevents from the dullness, dandruff and hair fall.
Medicinal Benefits of Amla
Treats Premature Hair Graying
- Applying the paste of (soak dried amla, baheda, aam ki githali into iron pot for whole night and make paste) mixture into hair in the early morning helps in treating premature graying of the hair.
Makes Hair Strong and Lengthy
- Applying the paste or water of amla, sikakai, reetha keeps hair strong, lengthy, soft and black.
Provides Relief from Vomiting and Hiccough
- Drinking amla juice with misri and water two to three times a day helps in relieving vomiting and hiccough problem.
Treats Acidity Problems
- It provides help in treating acidity problem if soaked amla seeds (for whole night) paste is taken in the morning with cow milk.
Cures Liver Disorders
- Taking amla chatni with honey two times in the morning and evening helps in curing jaundice and other liver disorders.
- Eating triphala churn with warm water during sleeping time helps in curing constipation.
- Taking amla powder with malai of dahi two to three times a day helps in treating bleeding from piles.
Provides Relief from Pain
- Applying fresh amla juice on the cut, wounds, etc provides relief.
Keeps Young and Youthful
- Taking amla powder at night with ghee, honey or water helps in keeping young and youthful.
Benefits of Amla Murabba
Amla murabba can be eaten in any season if it is cooked well and stored well at safe place and container. It is the most cheapest and simple way of getting all the health benefits of amla in natural way as well as fulfill the daily body requirement of the vitamin C in any season and every day of the whole year.
Amla murabba can be prepared at home by any normal person in very simple ways during winter season. Buy some fresh amla with intact skin from the market, wash it properly under the running water and let it dry for 2 to 4 hours till the water is completely flown away from each and every amla to prevent your amla murabba from the fungus and store it for long time without the use of any preservative chemical. Boil some water in the big pan and add amla to it and let it boil for 5 mins. Remove amla from the boiled water and let it dry. Prepare chasni in another big pan (till one strand) and add boiled and dried amla in it and let it boil at low flame for 40 to 45 mins. Switch off the flame and let it cool completely then store it in any big, well washed, dried and airtight container.
Nutritional Benefits of raw Amla/Gooseberry per 100 gm
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 44 Kcal
Carbohydrates: 10.18 g
Protein: 0.88 g
Fat: 0.58 g
Dietary Fibers: 4.3 g
Folates (B9): 6 mcg
Riboflavin (B2): 0.030 mg
Thiamin (B1): 0.040 mg
Niacin (B3): 0.300 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5): 0.286 mg
Pyridoxine (B6): 0.080 mg
Vitamin A: 290 IU
Vitamin C: 27.7 mg
Carotene 0.01 mg
Calcium: 25 mg
Copper: 0.070 mg
Iron: 0.31 mg
Manganese: 0.144 mg
Phosphorus: 27 mg
Magnesium: 10 mg
Zinc: 0.12 mg
Potassium: 198 mg
Sodium: 1 mg
Tryptophan 3.0 mg
Methionine 2.1 mg
Lysine 17.0 mg
How to Select and Store Amla
Amla can be easily bought from the market during winter season and can be stored in many ways for the whole year to get its all the health benefits in any season. Always buy fresh, well ripe, hard, bright yellowish green, well skinned and medium sized amla from the market. Avoid buying bruised, raw or too green, wrinkled skin, spotted, infected and bad smelling amla. It can be stored for 8-10 days in winter season at room temperature if placed well in the cool, dry and safe place away from the direct sun light. However, in the refrigerator it can be stored for one month long duration if placed in the air tight poly bags after well wash under running water.
How to Enjoy Amla
Amla or Indian gooseberry can be enjoyed in many forms such as raw, chutney, juice, pickles, cooked vegetable, jam or murabba and powdered amla in any season. Amla is a wonderful natural ayurvedic fruit which is very cheap, easy to find and digest. Amla is also used in many ayurvedic medicines made for medicinal purposes.
Daily Requirement of Vitamin C (which can be fulfilled by Amla) for Different Groups:
- Infants below 1 year of age require around 30 to 35 mg.
- Children of age 1 to 14 years require around 40 to 50 mg.
- Adolescent between 15 to 18 years of age require around 65 to 75 mg.
- Adult Man over 18 years of age requires around 90 mg.
- Adult Woman over 18 years of age requires 75 mg.
Precautions, Side Effects and Disadvantages of Amla
There are no any required precautions for taking amla but it is necessary to be taken under the supervision of your doctor. Actually eating raw amla has no any type of disadvantages as it is the best natural powerhouse of the variety of health benefits. However, some side effects are found if it taken by another means such as the preparations like murabba, Triphala Churna, amla related medicines, vitamins, supplements and etc.
- Taking murabba of the amla may harm the diabetic person as it has high sugar content. It may also harm the normal person if purchased and eaten by the market as there are some chemical preservatives which has been used to preserve it for long time.
- Taking amla pickles may also harm some persons with the high blood pressure and kidneys problems because of its high salt content.
- Eating triphala churna on regular basis may harm the pregnant women as it is prepared by including the two other herbs.
- Amla has enough amount of the Vitamin C, so taking more vitamin C than the daily requirement of vitamin C through the amla may cause some serious ailments like kidney stones formation, diarrhea, burning sensation while passing urine and etc.
- Heart patients should avoid eating amla regularly or consult their doctor before taking it as amla has the heart stimulating property which may cause some problems.
How Many Amla to Eat a Day
Amla can be eaten on daily basis by any normal and healthy person however, the person suffering from any health disorder must consult by the physician to eat amla on daily basis. Eating two to three medium sized amla by the healthy person is normal in any form such as juice, jam or murabba.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Juices