Black plum is very famous fruit in India where it is well known as Jamun and belongs to the Myrtaceae family. It is also known as jambul, jambolan, jambas, malabar plum, rajaman, neredu, kala jamun, naval, jamali, java plum and etc in other regions of the world. It is very attractive, sweet and delicious fruit found everywhere during rainy season (in the month of June or July) in the market or road side.
Jamun tree was first originated in India which has now been spread to the tropical regions of all over the world in many countries of Southeast Asia and Eastern Africa (like India, Pakistan, Nepal, Trinidad, Surinam, Tobago, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and etc). It is found in many varieties however most common variety is oblong shaped and deep purple or bluish colored jamun.
Benefits of Jamun/Black Plum
Generally all varieties of the Jamun contain sugar in the form of glucose and fructose which are commonly found in almost all ripe fruit. It is rich source of minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients. It is liked by almost everyone during its season because of its tasty and delicious flavor. Some of its nutritional and medicinal health benefits are given below:
Natural Blood Purifier
- Its richness of iron makes it a good blood purifier as it ensures oxygenated blood supply with good amount of hemoglobin all through the body.
Good for Eye and Skin Health
- Black plum contains good amount of vitamins like A and C as well as minerals which are very beneficial for the health of eye and skin.
Cures Digestive Disorders
- Jamun has cooling property thus very beneficial for curing digestive disorders.
Keeps Skin Fresh
- Its astringent property makes it able to keep oily skin fresh, smooth and acne free.
Prevents from Infection
- Its availability with oxalic acid, gallic acid, malic acid, tannins, betulic acid and etc makes it capable as an anti-malarial, anti-infective and antibacterial.
Keeps Teeth and Gums Healthy
- The antibacterial property of its leaves helps in strengthening as well as preventing teeth and gums from various infections.
Prevents from Seasonal Problems
- Its high level of vitamin C availability makes body immunity system strong to fight with common seasonal problems.
Prevents from Heart Disorders
- Black plum contains good amount of potassium mineral which is very beneficial for keeping heart healthy and preventing for diseases like hypertension, stroke and other cardio vascular diseases.
Prevents from Free Radicals
- The darker fruit contains more anthocyanins pigment thus has strong anti-oxidant property which prevents from free radicals harmful effects, premature aging and infections.
Benefits of Jamun for Diabetes
Regulates Blood Sugar Level
- Jamun fruit is very good remedy for the people suffering from diabetes because of its anti-diabetic properties which helps keeping blood sugar level under control by converting starch and sugar into the energy.
Cures Diabetes Symptoms and Complications
- Black plum is a fruit of low glycemic index which keeps blood sugar level under check as well as cures common diabetes symptoms and complications like excess thirst, urination and etc.
- It’s all forms such as leaves, bark, seeds and fruit are very useful for treating diabetes.
Benefits of Jamun Seeds and Seeds Powder
Treats Gastric Disorders
- Jamun bark and seeds powder is very useful for the treatment of gastric disorders like diarrhea, indigestion, dysentery, dyspepsia and etc.
Treats Pimple Problem
- Applying paste of seeds powder and cow milk to the face during bed time helps in treating pimples.
Cures Kidney Disorders
- Eating jamun seeds powder with yogurt helps in curing kidney stones disorders.
Regulates Blood Sugar Level and Stimulates Insulin Secretion
- Taking jamun seeds powder on daily basis three times a day helps in regulating blood sugar level as well as stimulating insulin secretion.
Cures various Disorders
- Black plum also cures polyuria, irritable bowel syndrome, bleeding hemorrhoids, fatigue, excess salivation and etc.
Benefits of Jamun Ka Sirka (Black Plum Vinegar)
Treats Medical Conditions
- Vinegar or sirka made from its fruit helps in treating the cases like enlargement of spleen, urine retention, chronic diarrhea and etc.
Improves Appetite and Cures Constipation
- It is used to increase appetite level as well as curing constipation if jamun ka sirka is taken with equal amount of water two times a day.
Benefits of Jamun Juice
Treats Ringworm Problem
- Jamun juice diluted with water helps in treating skin problems like ringworm and etc if applied as a lotion.
Improves Body Stamina
- Black plum juice helps in removing weakness, treating anaemia, increasing memory level, treating sexual weakness and etc if the mixture of one tsf jamun juice, honey and amla juice is taken regularly in the early morning.
Benefits of Jamun Bark
Cures Respiratory Disorders
- Jamun bark water (boil some bark into water) helps in curing the respiratory disorders including asthma, bronchitis as well as mouth ulceration, gum pain, stomatitis and etc.
Treats Various Other Problems
- It is used to treat intestinal worming, urinary disorders and bleeding gums.
Relieves Pain and Inflammation
- Applying it to the affected part topically helps in relieving pain and inflammations on the body.
- Taking jamun bark water with honey tow times a day is very beneficial to treat leucorrhoea among women.
Benefits of Jamun/Black Plum Leaves
Maintains Health of Digestive System and Oral Cavity
- Jamun leaves are very beneficial for the health of digestive system and oral cavity. It has been used for years as an ayurvedic medicine to treat problems like gastric ulcer, diarrhea and etc.
Strengthens Teeth and Gum
- Black plum leaves are anti-bacterial in nature thus using its powder as a tooth paste regularly helps in strengthening teeth and gums as well as remove bad breath problem.
Nutritional Benefits of Black Plum/Jamun per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
Energy: 62 kcal
Protein: 0.70 g
Water: 84.75 g
Dietary fibers: 0.6 g
Fat: 0.23 g
Carbohydrate: 14 g
Oxalic Acid: 89 mg
Magnesium: 35 mg
Phosphorus: 15.6 mg
Calcium: 15 mg
Iron: 0.30 mg
Potassium: 55 mg
Sodium: 26.20 mg
Thiamine (B1): 0.019 mg
Riboflavin (B2): 0.009 mg
Niacin (B3): 0.245 mg
Vitamin B6: 0.038 mg
Carotene: 48 mg
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Folic acid: 3 mg
How to Select and Store
Buy fresh jamun from the market in small amounts so that it can be finished within two to three days as it easily gets declined after some days. Generally it is picked from the ground when it falls after getting ripe or picked directly from the tree when it changes its color to dark blue or purple. It is easily available on the road side market or supermarket in the packed container during its season from May to July.
Always take care of the chemicals used to keep it fresh for long time while buying. Always buy slight loose, pulpy, dark colored, fresh, intact skinned, heavy and good looking jamun. Avid buying bruised, spotted, cut, wrinkled, small, light weight and light colored jamun from the market. It can be stored at room temperature for two days however; in the refrigerator (packed in the airtight container after well wash) it can be stored for week long.
How to Enjoy
Jamun or black plum can be enjoyed in the number of ways such as fruit salad, jamun ka sirka, jamun seeds powder, leaves, leaves powder, jamun juice, jam, murabba, jellies, pickles, chatni and etc. It can be sprinkled with black pepper powder, black salt or etc according to the taste and requirement of person.
Precautions, Side Effects and Disadvantages
As we all know that everything has its both aspects positive and negative which we must know to be careful to our health. Some of the side effects, precautions and disadvantages of the jamun or black plum are given below:
- Jamun seeds, barks and leaves have property to lower the blood sugar level thus should be taken carefully by the diabetic patients as it may reduce blood sugar level to a great level.
- It should be avoided some days before and after any surgery as it might lower the blood sugar level.
- It should be taken carefully by the person going on medications of diabetes.
- It should be avoided eating jamun with empty stomach and should be taken after meals.
- Avoid drinking milk at least one hour before and after eating jamun.
- It should be avoided by the people regularly suffering from edema or body swelling, history of regular vomiting and people on fast for long time.
- Excess intake of it should be avoided as it may lead to body pain and fever.
How Much Black Plum/Jamun to Eat a Day
As we all are well aware of its both aspects pros and cons, it give us an accurate estimate of how much jamun or black plum should be taken on daily basis. However, regular intake of it depends on the age, weight and health conditions of the person. It should always be taken care of while eating jamun as natural things are not always safe and need precautions according to the body health. If it is used by someone as a home remedy on daily basis, he must consult his doctor or physician to know the need.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Fruits