Goat meat is considered as the red meat produced by the domestic goat. It is also known as the chevon or mutton (adult goat meat). It is commonly and mostly consumed meat all over the world by the people because of its high protein level, high iron level and low fat level. Goat is famous for its meat, hair, skin and specially milk.
Benefits of Goat Meat
Goat Meat is loaded with the all the required healthy nutrients for the body in high amounts. It contains B group vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B9, B12), vitamin E, vitamin K, choline, protein, natural fats, betaine, cholesterol, amino acids, minerals (manganese, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, phosphorus, selenium), electrolytes (sodium, potassium), omega 3 Fatty Acids and omega 6 Fatty Acids. It is very nutritional food for the health. Some of the health benefits of the goat meat are mentioned below:
Benefits of Goat Meat for Heart
Contains Low Level of Saturated Fat and Cholesterol
- It contains lower value of saturated fats, cholesterol and high value of unsaturated fats thus it is safe for the heart and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and other chronic problems.
Balances Cholesterol Level
- Unsaturated fats found in it improves the good blood cholesterol levels, provides relief from inflammations and etc.
Keeps Heart Healthy
- It helps in maintaining the heart beats, lowering down the blood pressure and reduces the risk of atherosclerosis, coronary heart diseases and etc by keeping the heart healthy.
Benefits of Goat Meat for Weight Control
Reduces Risk of Obesity
- It contains lean proteins in high amount, low saturated fat thus helps in controlling weight and reduces the risk obesity.
- Proteins found in it acts as a hunger suppressing agent and keeps the stomach full for longer time thus helps in controlling weight.
Full of Vitamins and Nutrients
- It contains lots of vitamins and nutrients which help in burning fat.
Benefits of Goat Meat during Pregnancy
Prevents from Anemia
- It prevents from anemia during pregnancy to both mother and baby by increasing the blood hemoglobin level in mother and enhancing blood supply to the baby as it contains high iron level (3mg iron/100g of goat meat).
Reduces Risk of Iron-deficiency Diseases
- It prevents from other iron-deficiency diseases, reduces the risk of birth defects among new born babies, neural tube defects and etc.
Nourishes Blood Cells
- It contains high level of vitamin B12 which nourishes the blood cells and makes it healthy.
Benefits of Goat Meat for Cancer
Reduces Risk of Cancer
- It contains B group vitamins, selenium and choline which is very beneficial to be prevented from cancer.
Benefits of Goat Meat for Men
Makes Men Powerful
- It helps in improving sex power among men as it contains torpedo and bile which enhances the ability of male sexuality.
Benefits of Goat Meat for Women
Relieves Menstrual Pain
- It helps in iron recovery among women during menstruation and provides relief from the menstrual pain.
Benefits of Goat Meat for Skin
Makes Skin Glowing and Healthy
- It provides better nourishment to the skin and makes it healthy, soft, supple, glowing and smooth.
Provides Relief from Skin Problems
- It provides relief from the skin problems like psoriasis, eczema or acne and other problem by nourishing the skin.
Effective for Dry Skin
- It also provides relief from the dry skin and rashes problems by making the skin soft and supple.
Other Benefits of Goat Meat
Reduces Risk of Many Diseases
- It reduces the risk of infections, type 2 diabetes and other diseases if eaten regularly.
Reduces Risk of Heart Disorders
- It contains low sodium level and high potassium level thus safe food for the heart and prevents from the high blood pressure, risk of stroke, kidney diseases and etc.
Promotes Energy Metabolism
- It contains niacin vitamin which involves in promoting the energy metabolism.
Healthy Food for Bone, Teeth and Hair
- It provides better nourishment to the bones, teeth and hairs thus prevents from osteoporosis, joints pain, tooth ache and hair loss.
Strengthens Immunity System
- It helps in improving the power of immune system and prevents from various infections.
Prevents from Early Ageing
- It helps in maintaining the functioning of thyroid gland and prevents from the early ageing as it protects from the free radicals.
Keeps Blood Sugar under Control
- It normalizes the blood sugar level thus keeps blood sugar level under control among diabetic patients.
Reduces Stress Level
- It enhances the mood level by preventing from the depression and stress.
Promotes Brain Development
- It enhances the memory power among kids by helping in proper brain development.
Benefits of Goat Meat soup
Keeps Body Healthy and Strong
- Goat meat is called as mutton and so mutton leg soup is very famous, delicious and healthy for the health especially bones. It is rich in calcium and helps in bone building and teeth strengthening. It enhances producing new body cells thus delay the aging. It is good for weight watchers as it is rich in protein which keeps stomach full longer.
Nutritional Benefits of Goat Meat per 100 g
(Source: USDA Nutrient database)
Energy: 109 kcal
Protein: 20.60 g
Water: 75.84 g
Ash: 1.11 g
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.710 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.030 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.170 g
Cholesterol: 57 mg
Potassium: 385 mg
Sodium: 82 mg
Calcium: 13 mg
Iron: 2.83 mg
Phosphorus: 180 mg
Zinc: 4 mg
Copper: 0.256 mg
Manganese: 0.038 mg
Selenium: 8.8 mcg
Thiamin: 0.110 mg
Riboflavin: 0.490 mg
Niacin: 3.750 mg
Vitamin B6: 0.26mg
Pantothenic Acid: 0.45mg
Folates: 5 mcg
Vitamin B12: 1.13 mcg
Vitamin A: 3 μg
Vitamin E: 1mg
Vitamin C: 1mg
Vitamin K: 2μg
Tryptophan: 0.306 g
Threonine: 0.981 g
Isoleucine: 1.042 g
Leucine: 1.716 g
Lysine: 1.532 g
Methionine: 0.552 g
Cystine: 0.245 g
Phenylalanine: 0.715 g
Valine: 1.103 g
Arginine: 1.512 g
Histidine: 0.429 g
How to Select and Store
Always select organically grown goat meat as they are free of all the environmental pollutants and harmful organic materials. Buy goat meat from the local market which should be bright color, good smell and fresh. Avoid buying bad smelled and already cut goat meat as they have some infection and cause health problems. Buy only needed amount of the meat instead of extra however if it left you can store in the refrigerator by wrapping it properly for 3 days.
How to Enjoy
Goat meat can be enjoyed in many ways. It tastes very delicious if cooked very well. It can be enjoyed as a stew or curries, grilled, in burgers, roasted, kebobs, stuffed, rolled and etc. Variety of tasty dishes are prepared using goat liver which is very energetic and healthy food.
Disadvantages of Goat Meat
Goat meat has lots of health hazards if eaten without taking care of the things. Some of the disadvantages, side effects and precautions are mentioned below:
- Meat of inorganically grown goat may cause variety of health problems due to the side effects of inorganic materials.
- Eating goat meat over limit may cause food poisoning, weight gain, obesity and etc.
- Person having problems of kidney, heart, diabetes or digestive system may suffer from various problems thus must consult their physician before adding it to their regular diet.
How Much Goat Meat
Goat meat should be eaten within limit which varies from person to person. It depends on the age, weight, sex and health condition of the person. However, it is must consulted by the consultant to add it regularly to your diet if you are really health conscious.
Find the Benefits of other Similar Non-Vegetarian Foods