Hair Oiling at Home
Hair oiling is a method of applying oil to the hair root and hair strands and give a massage with finger tips on the scalp. Hair oiling is a traditional process especially in India for the people living in villages. It is an old and most famous way of oiling the hair which is passed to the new generation from our older generation. Generally, we all have a nice memory of hair oiling with Nani, Dadi and mom in our childhood. At that time we were against the hair oiling because we were completely unknown about the hair oiling benefits. But, now we miss that moment and wish our Nani or Dadi do hair oiling again; but it is also true that past cannot be present. So, don’t waste your time in missing the past and do hair oiling in present with yourself to get all the benefits of hair oiling.
Hair plays a great role in the beauty of women so it is of much importance to them. Hair is the natural ornament of beauty for women so they want to maintain the good condition of their hair all through the life. They want to look good and beautiful always in their life so they regularly try various home remedies of hair beauty. Hair oiling is one of the best home remedies to keep hair long, dense, shining, smooth and silky. It is good technique to have naturally beautiful hair. It helps us to get away from various hair problems such as hair fall, hair breakage, dandruff, hair graying, dryness, etc. If we do not use oil, our hair becomes rough, dry and frizzy. Oiling the hair regularly hydrates and moisturizes it properly.
Regular hair oiling plays a great role in hair growth and strengthens the hair. If we see in the past, we see that our mother and grandmother have long and healthy hair, at that time they didn’t had spa facility, so what was the secret of their healthy and beautiful hair. Of course, it was their regular hair oiling technique which made their hair so beautiful. So, if you wish to make your hair as beautiful as your mother and grandmother, you must follow their hair oiling routine and procedure by yourself and also pass that to your next generation. You can use oil like almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, etc according to your choice and hair type.
Hair Oiling Tips
Following are some tips to make hair oiling more easy, effective and beneficial:
- Comb the hair before hair oiling as it prevents hair breakage and hair fall from root as well as make hair oiling process easy.
- Warm the oil a little while, it puts great effect on hair root, enhances blood circulation all over the scalp and strengthens the hair from root.
- Do hair oiling at least two times a week half an hour before washing your hair or at night to get positive effect on the growth of hair.
- Regular hair oiling helps in proper hair growth. It makes hair strong, dense, black and lengthy.
- Apply the only hair oil which suits your hair.
- Finger tips are best to massage the scalp and apply oil all over the hair.
- Pouring lots of oil on the head is not necessary; it should be in adequate quantity only and then gently massage the scalp with fingertips.
- Rubbing hair too much with palm can break the hair, so do it only to apply oil to the hair. Massaging the scalp is main step in hair oiling as it improves blood circulation in scalp.
- Don’t leave the oil on scalp for more than 24 hours as it attracts dirt which causes dandruff and then hair fall from root.
- After oiling put a hot towel (dip towel in hot water and squeeze it) on head for 8 to 10 min to give steam to the hair as it helps in oil absorption to the root.
- Shampoo your hair very well after oiling otherwise it will catch dust and give dirty look.
Hair Oils according to Hair Type
We have mentioned here various types of oil which we can use according to our hair type means which oil suits our hair:
- Hair Oil for Normal Hair: Normal hair is considered as the good hair type as it is neither greasy nor dry. It looks good as it has smoothness, softness and shine all time. People with normal hair can use oil in their hair for hair oiling such as jojoba oil, almond oil, amla oil, coconut oil, etc.
- Hair Oil for Dry Hair: Dry hair is really an issue for the people with dry hair as they have to pay extra attention, care and give extra effort in order to maintain the condition of their hair all time so that they can look good. If we do not care our dry hair, it gives very dull look and gets tangle very easily. Dry hair is prone to breakage with split-ends. Regular hair oiling and head massage is very necessary for the people with dry hair in order to stimulate the sebaceous glands present on the scalp to get the look of normal hair. People with dry hair can use almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, mustard oil, cocoa butter oils, sesame oil, etc.
- Hair Oil for Oily Hair: Oily hair already gives greasy look due to the over production of sebum on the scalp by sebaceous glands. Oily hair is more prone to hair loss because of the oily scalp. People with oily hair need to normalize the sebum secretion in order to get the look of normal hair. They can apply olive oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, etc for hair oiling.
- Hair Oil for Dandruff Hair: Dandruff in hair gives bad look; it reduces the confidence level as well. Hair with dandruff is more prone to the hair loss from root. It is really very embarrassing condition for the women with dandruff hair. So, they need to remove dandruff, give extra precaution and care and maintain the good condition of hair in order to give nice look to the hair. They need to apply essential oils to their hair to minimize the problem by treating dandruff. People with dandruff hair may apply tea-tree oil or bhringaraj oil to get out of the problem of dandruff.
Best Time to Apply Hair Oil
Hair oiling is one of the best ways to strengthen the hair as well as improve the hair quality at home. Hair oiling also helps in sleep improvement, relief headache and give calmness to the mind. To get various beneficial effects on the hair and head (such as improving the quality of hair, promote hair growth, prevent hair graying in early age, prevent from split hair or breakage, etc), there are different timings and methods of oil application on the head.
Applying hair oil at night is good and washing the hair in next day morning. You can do twice or thrice a week whatever you have made your hair care routine. You need to apply oil to the root and massage the scalp properly if you want healthy hair growth. Do not oil your hair with luke warm oil if you have headache or rashes on the scalp. You can apply oil to the hair half or one hour before bath if you have dandruff and want to remove it as well as get silky and smooth hair. Application of oil in the night with little massage improves good night sleep.
You can practice hair oiling with sesame oil in order to get prevented from headache, baldness, early hair graying, hair fall, etc as well as get lengthy, black, and strong.
Step-By-Step Procedure for Hair Oiling at Home (how to apply hair oil at home)
Here is the step-by-step procedure of hair oiling in your own hair or anybody else:
- Prepare and have all the required things for hair oiling to you for easiness.
- Wash your hands with soap and water properly before starting the hair oiling procedure.
- It is good to sit in the natural light means in the balcony or corridor.
- You can luke warm the oil for better effect according to your need and requirement.
- Make two partition of the hair for easy application of the hair oil all over the scalp and hair strands.
- Take some oil on the palm of one hand and apply oil on the scalp with the finger tips of another hand.
- You can also apply oil directly to the scalp with palm without using finger tips. Apply oil all over the scalp very well.
- Give massage to the scalp with finger tips and palm all over the head to make hair oiling more effective.
- Take some oil on the palm, rub it into both palm and apply to the hair strands.
- You can comb your hair after oiling and make a loose pony or loose braid to avoid hair breakage from root.
- You can apply oil in the night or in the morning half an hour before of the hair washing.
- You can wash your hair with any mild shampoo half an hour after the oiling.
- Do it regularly (at least twice or thrice a week) for better effect.
Benefits of Normal and Heavy Hair Oiling
Hair oiling or head massage with warm oil is always good for the health of hair and head. Hair oiling boosts the hair growth as well as provides all the essential elements to the hair root. Hair oiling in night helps in the good absorption of oil to the hair root. Hair oiling is good treatment for various hair problems like hair loss, frizzy hair, dull hair, thinning or graying of hair, hair with split ends, etc. Here are some important benefits of regular hair oiling:
- Regular hair oiling helps in proper hair growth as it gives proper nourishment to the hair root and scalp. Hair strands are made up of protein thus they need vitamins and other essential nutrients regularly. It facilitates blood circulation which soothes and relaxes the mind as well as strengthens hair roots and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Regular hair oiling prevents from scalp infection which causes dandruff and hair lice growth. It is the main reason of hair loss and hair fall. Thus regular hair oiling keeps hair healthy and clean.
- It relaxes the mind and provides calm effect to whole body. It improves blood circulation to the scalp and relaxes nerves in the brain.
- It provides smoothness and shine to the dull hair and gives healthy look.
- It also prevents from premature hair graying in the early age. Premature hair graying generally caused due to the lack of vitamins and protein in food; it can also be the genetic reason in some cases. Vitamin B12 deficiency reduces the production of melanin in the skin thus it causes hair graying. Regular hair oiling reduces the risk of hair graying and retains the hair color by providing nourishment.
- Hair oiling protects hair from the bad effects of pollution in the environment as oil makes a protective layer over the hair.
- It is a good remedy at home for the dry and rough hair as it locks the moisture within the scalp and nourishes the hair.
- Hair oiling acts as a good conditioner for the hair as it maintains the good condition of the hair.
Hair Oiling for Medium Hair Length
Here is a video showing the step by step procedure for hair oiling on medium hair:
Hair Oiling for Long Hair Length
You can see here is a video showing the step by step procedure for hair oiling on long hair:
Hair Oiling by Dadi (Grandmother) at Home
I have provided this amazing hair oiling video especially for you. This hair oiling is done by my Dadi herself on my medium length hair. I am feeling really so much blessed by having hair oiling with my Dadi at home till now. This video will show you the traditional hair oiling of past time which must be passed to the younger generations for their wellness. Seeing this video you will surely remember your childhood and miss your hair oiling with dadi too:
Hair Oiling for Silky, Smooth and Shining Hair
I have provided below another video for you showing the procedure of how to get silky, smooth and shining hair at home: