Any of the health disorders related to the baby especially new born baby makes parents anxious about both physically, mentally and emotionally. They become more emotional towards their baby health and fitness and become really afraid of when baby gets any health ailments. However some of the health disorders are normal among babies which make parents stressed too.
Vomiting is the most common reason among babies just after drinking milk because of the indigestion. However regular or continuous vomiting for days may be harmful to the baby health and needs careful precautions and proper treatment through the authorized medical practitioner. Regular vomiting may lead the baby to the serious dehydration, fatigue, weakness, mentally retarded, improper growth and so many.
Vomiting among new born babies during first few months after birth are common just because of the mild feeding problems when tummy becomes too full. And vomiting after first few months of birth are may be due to the stomach infection (gastroenteritis) which lead to the diarrhea and become serious condition for the baby and parents too. Vomiting among babies may also be as a complication of other problems in the body like organ infection, food allergy, allergic reactions to other new things and etc. In such cases appointment with the doctor becomes necessary.
Reasons of Vomiting Among Babies
- Some of the most common reasons of vomiting among babies are indigestion, over breast feeding, new diet plan and etc.
- Vomit among new born babies are common because of the over feeding, small size of stomach, weak digestive system, lack of proper burping, infection and etc.
- Sometimes, vomiting among babies may be due to the serious illnesses which require careful attention of the doctor immediately.
- Sometimes, pyloric stenosis is the reason of vomiting which causes persistent and forceful vomiting among babies just after half an hour of feeding. It thickens the valve going to intestine from stomach which obstructs the food passage and stimulates vomiting.
- Gastric reflux is also the reason of frequent vomiting among babies due to the improper development of the muscular valve in the stomach which causes back flow of the food and gastric juice from food pipe.
- Occasionally the cow milk allergy or formula milk intolerance causes vomiting in which baby immunity system are not developed well to digest the milk protein available in cow or formula milk.
- Stomach infection (gastroenteritis) due to the virus or bacteria is another reason of vomiting which causes frequent vomiting and need proper treatment.
- Persistent cough after the cold has gone may also be the reason of occasional vomiting.
- Sometimes vomiting occurs as a symptom of other health disorders like fever, flu, urinary tract infection, ear infection, scarlet fever, meningitis and etc.
- Vomiting may also be reason of some toxic or poisonous material has been swallowed by the baby.
- Excessive crying also trigger gag reflex which stimulates vomiting.
Warning Signs of Vomiting
Some warning signs of the vomiting, which must be taken care of by the parents to avoid dangerous health disorders, are:
- Dry mouth
- Severe fatigue and sleepiness
- Severe irritability
- Less urination
- Lack of tear
- Loss of appetite
- Stuffy nose
- Increased thirst
- Breastfeed or other milk refusal
- Shortness of breath
- Bulging tummy
- Loss of consciousness
- Splotchy hands and feet
- Sunken fontanelle
- Persistence of frequent vomiting with great force
- Occurrence of blood particles or bile through vomit due to the force of regurgitation which causes blood or bile capillaries to tear.
How to Keep Babies Safe during Vomiting
Some of the simple home care strategies during vomiting are:
- It is very necessary to keep baby hydrated all time as baby lose lots of body fluid while vomiting and needs more liquid to get prevented from the serious signs of dehydration. It can be done by providing him sips of oral rehydration solution in timely manner with regular breast milk or things he digests easily.
- Fruit juices or other readymade liquids should be avoided during vomiting as they may lead to infection and more serious conditions.
- Try to provide more rest to your baby in order to give him relief from the exertion and tiredness of vomiting.
- Keep him in clean, well fitting and comfortable clothes and avoid tight and dirty clothes to give him proper rest and feeling of well being.
- Avoid giving him anti-nausea medicines without the prescription of doctor.
- Watch his body activities, vitals and functioning very carefully in order to discuss with the doctor.
- Keep baby in upright position and burp well for sometime after the feed to prevent frequent vomit.
- Go to the authorized doctor for the early detection and cure of the baby.
Why Babies Vomit Curdled Milk
Vomiting of curdled milk among babies is not serious problem however continuous vomiting of it should be taken care of under the guidance of authorized medical practitioner. Normal milk becomes curdled immediately when it gets mixed with gastric acids in the stomach which sometimes come out as a vomiting due to some problems like over feeding, undigested formula milk or cow milk, improper burping and lactose intolerance. If this is the case, your doctor may be able to suggest dietary alternatives to keep your baby from spitting up excessively.